Dads Ordered TalkTalk

Soldato
without telling me. he was talking about doing it, but i told him to hold off a while and see how things shape out, but after getting a management email 10 days into our month he made his mind up and done it.

Ah well, we aint getting connected until the end of July, so i suppose it gives them time to hopefully sort out any bugs or complaints, but also to overpopulate their lines :o .

Just hope they are OKish for gaming for CSS, BF2 and the like, dont play MMOs etc so not bothred about any WOW problems.

At least this time if they are crap then its his fault, i pushed for Tiscali (first BB conn) and for Plusnet (great when we started, but crap now), so at least if it goes norks up i can point at him this time rather than the other way around.

/crosses fingers that they are OK

Last edited:
Soldato
Its capped isn't it? My mum didnt understand why I was paying for pipex when we could have 'free' broadband from talk talk. I'm going on the logic that you get what you pay for with broadband though!

Soldato
OP
I think its 40GB or something, but P2P is heavily trafficed, not to bothered about that though as i do 300mb a month tops in P2P.

Yeah, i know what you mean by you get what you pay for, which is why im a tad worried, we were on Tiscali, and im hoping its not going to be another case of Tiscali experiences.

Soldato
the talk talk broadband is fine, I work for Opal telecom a sister comapny of carphone so I get the standard 1meg line for free. never had any problems.

getting rid of it tomorrow though. moving house, and luckily i will only be 600 yards from the exhange, so work are putting me on there LLU 8meg line trial ;)

oh on a side note, Tiscali may rave on about this unlimited package, but my mate is on it and recently got a letter saying he is takling the **** so back off the downloads.

maybe not so unlimted after all :)

FULLY star out swearing. FF.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
I know at the moment there's issues with Steam I'm afraid :/
Main reason why I'm not signing up to is the online gaming problems, but supposedly they're working on it so fingers crossed.

Associate
I was already on a Talktalk package, phone line and 512mb...and paying just short of £21.00 I think it was, so I have gone the "free" broadband package mainly cos nothing really changes for me, apart from hopefully an increase in speed..........oh yeh, I forgot to say, it wont be until November when they get round to my exchange :mad: :mad:

oh on a side note, Tiscali may rave on about this unlimited package, but my mate is on it and recently got a letter saying he is takling the **** so back off the downloads.

I had this from Tiscali when I was with them, they actually capped my download and I bet I wasn't even d/l 5gb a month...so I told them where to get off and cancelled it. :p :p

Soldato
OP
kidloco said:
Tiscali may rave on about this unlimited package, but my mate is on it and recently got a letter saying he is takling the **** so back off the downloads.

My mate got that too. Apparantely if you are downloading too much for their liking they have one single pipe that they dump all the heavy users on, which totally kills your download speeds along with everything else.

Soldato
I went live this morning. I'd had a week without internet access (Pipex's fault tbh for suspending my account before talk talk took over).

So far I'm connected just 2mbps and if anything It feels slightly faster (general browsing) than pipex.

Signed up for my web space effortlessly, 360 connected as before and I'll play a few games later to see how it stands up.

So far so good, as it says on the tin; free internet.

Caporegime
My old man has just signed up yesterday... getting a bit worried reading all the user reviews so I have 7 days to cancel if I find its too horrible to risk... :(

Associate
@smcshaw

Mate ive just had the same prob and I was wondering if you could shed some light, Pipex have disconnected me and Talktalk as usual are saying thatits not their fault!

Did Pipex try and get you your conection back?? i cant be without internet for over a week!!

Oh well ill have to use my neighbours wireless for now.

Soldato
Scientific said:
@smcshaw

Mate ive just had the same prob and I was wondering if you could shed some light, Pipex have disconnected me and Talktalk as usual are saying thatits not their fault!

Did Pipex try and get you your conection back?? i cant be without internet for over a week!!

Its because mac codes are valid for 30 days and i think talk talk have back log of orders. When you take a mac code your account with pipex will be live for a further 30 days. If talk talk have gone live after this date its not pipex's fault. Your account with pipex doesnt stay live til you migrate. You need to make sure your gonna go live with the new provider within 30 days to not have any down time in your connection.

Associate
My mate who works for TalkTalk was going to sign me up, I soon realised how full of LANGUAGE! he was and closed the order. It was going to take 3 weeks for my service to be transfered and then about 2 months untill I started receiving my free broadband. I don't think so...

Soldato
OP
First of all, blank out the swear works fully, unless you fancy a suspension. Secondly, im sure people are fully of aware of how bad TalkTalk is, but its too good a deal to not try it out, and for an average user itll be fine. If its crap then its going to be going rather fast, but if its decent then fair do's. Im hoping itll do for my bit gaming and browsing, as for P2P i dont care as i only do 300mb a month if that.

I wish mine was only a 3 weeks wait, we ordered it on the 8th May and aint getting connected until the 25th July.

Associate
First of all, thanks for the advice on the swear works... I'll remember that for future reference.

But hey, I'm only offering an opinion / experience. I wish I would have had someone like myself to save me the wasted time.

Soldato
OP
Yep, my uncle ordered them and swiftly cancelled as they couldnt even get his address right, he sat on the phone for an hour just trying to give them the correct address and got no where, so just cancelled it.

Caporegime
Scientific said:
@smcshaw

Once you get your MAC that starts a 30 days countdown before your disconnected, so Pipex are not in the wrong, its either Talk Talk's as they have failed to get you across in time, or it could be a bit of your fault as well if you never asked when they would be able to get you migrated, then if they could'nt have got you across within the 30 days, do not go there, if you don't use your MAC code then its just not valid anymore after the 30 days, and your Pipex service would have just carried on, as they will only Disconnect you once your MAC has been handed over to the new ISP, and they start the ball rolling doing the migration. :)

Ive never known migrations to take that long, its normally about 7 days, my migration to AOL only took 7 days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not quite.

You have 30 days to use the MAC key, but can specify a migration date up to 60 days from when the key was generated.
The proper way would be for Pipex to keep your connection going until BT tell them your connection's gone (and they do).

Back
Top Bottom