HELP Slipstreaming programs into windows xp install

Associate
what i want to do is slipstream some programs into windows xp so that they will automatically install onto my pc when i do a fresh install of windows. i was done a copy of windows xp with the latest updates and installs but i want to slipstream firefox, my graphics drivers and other drivers and maybe some other programs into the mix.
what im asking is if any one knows if and how i can do this or if any one knows any tutorials that can help me.

thanks in advance.

Don
start with a fresh copy of windows for each nlite..

ie, xp with no service packs if poss, then use nlite to slipstream sp2

look on www.ryanvm.net/msfn

ryanvm has made a hotfix post (post sp2) -you need sp2 slipstreamed, that has all hotfixes that nlite can integrate can intergrate into your source (as a hotfix)

just read the faq on his site, or guide

Associate
OP
yeah i know caged. i looked through them before i posted. the reason i decided to post is because people on here will give decent sites to visit that will have the correct info as they would have had experience

Associate
OP
bledd. said:
start with a fresh copy of windows for each nlite..

ie, xp with no service packs if poss, then use nlite to slipstream sp2

look on www.ryanvm.net/msfn

ryanvm has made a hotfix post (post sp2) -you need sp2 slipstreamed, that has all hotfixes that nlite can integrate can intergrate into your source (as a hotfix)

just read the faq on his site, or guide

will service pack 1 be installed as well as service pack 2 if i just slipstream service pack 2?? (new to slipstreaming)

Associate
why not just get hold of some ghost boot discs? That way you can take an image of your PC once it's all setup the way you want it. Plus it should be lighting quick at reimaging, (our work ones take 4 mins to do 2.5gb)

Don
punisher46 said:
why not just get hold of some ghost boot discs? That way you can take an image of your PC once it's all setup the way you want it. Plus it should be lighting quick at reimaging, (our work ones take 4 mins to do 2.5gb)

limitation is that it is only for one pc, wheras an unattended disc can be for any pc :)

Associate
I'm glad I saw this thread, I won't be using the inclusion of applications feature as I install all my applications on a different partition to Windows, but the Windows Updates will come in very handy.

Associate
OP
bledd said:
punisher46 said:

limitation is that it is only for one pc, wheras an unattended disc can be for any pc

exactly my point. if i ghost the drive it will be useless for me if i get a new mobo as he ghost image will not work for it. it would be like installing a new mobo wihout a fresh install of windows. it just doesnt work. the configuration is set to the mobo and cannt be used for another one unless its the same model

Six6siX said:
For installing software after windows, have a look here http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/62/
for WPI - its an amazing tool for organising and customising application installs. Well worth a look

thanks for that link i will be looking into it as soon as possible.
------------------
the main reason i want to slipstream apps is because im an avid user of photoshop as i study a graphics course at college and it would be easier to install that and the drivers for my graphics tablet in one go, save firking through all my discs as i have too many.

Associate
OP
Jimi said:
I'm glad I saw this thread, I won't be using the inclusion of applications feature as I install all my applications on a different partition to Windows, but the Windows Updates will come in very handy.

actually a good point there. can you set it up so it installs the apps to a different drive??

Soldato
sic6six said:
actually a good point there. can you set it up so it installs the apps to a different drive??

I have never looked into this in depth, but I see two potential ways of doing it:

1) Depending on the type of installer used, configure the ini file to have a default installation directory (amongst other things) of your choice - I'm pretty sure Photoshop and several other installers use this installation method (note: obviously this limits the disc to use on a particular PC in terms of available drives)

2) There may be a method of allowing selection of a particular installation drive/directory for all applications but as I say, I haven't looked into this in much detail so you may be better off asking in the MSFN forum. :)

Associate
OP
Six6siX said:
I have never looked into this in depth, but I see two potential ways of doing it:

1) Depending on the type of installer used, configure the ini file to have a default installation directory (amongst other things) of your choice - I'm pretty sure Photoshop and several other installers use this installation method (note: obviously this limits the disc to use on a particular PC in terms of available drives)

2) There may be a method of allowing selection of a particular installation drive/directory for all applications but as I say, I haven't looked into this in much detail so you may be better off asking in the MSFN forum. :)

it would be good if there was a selection method so that any/all programs you want to install can be given a chosen directory to install to in one go. like a list of the applications and a choice next to them

Back
Top Bottom