how to 'batch' resize large numbers of images?

Associate
I'm thinking of uploading a series of stag do pictures for public perusal at FlickR, question is - how can I compress 200mb worth of images to 20mb to meet the bandwidth limits of my free FlickR account?

Rather than laboriously resize every image individualy using Image Ready is there a way to batch process say a 100 odd images in a few steps? perhaps there is a good utility I'm unaware of.

any help much appreciated

Thanks

sols

Soldato
You could record a macro within PS/IR to resize the image, save it into a different folder and close the file. The n just open all the images into PS/IR and hit the button you set, for each image. Should work and thats the way i'd do it - without using alternative software.

Associate
You can do this in Photoshop.

Open an image. Click View > Actions > click record button

Then resize the image to how you want it and stop recording.

Then if you go into the PS browser you can then highlight the whole set of photos > right click > batch > set action as 'resize' (or whatever you named it as)

Hope this helps

Edit: what Scam said :)

Associate
OP
Retorted said:
You can do this in Photoshop.

Open an image. Click View > Actions > click record button

Then resize the image to how you want it and stop recording.

Then if you go into the PS browser you can then highlight the whole set of photos > right click > batch > set action as 'resize' (or whatever you named it as)

Hope this helps

Edit: what Scam said :)

right - would these steps be applicable to ImageReady? for some peculiar reason PS has decided to stop working after mysteriously detecting a hardware change

Associate
I don't think ImageReady supports batch automation like Photoshop does.

It seems you can only create new actions and apply them to each individual image you have open.

Associate
OP
Beansprout said:

Yes sorry about that. Thought perhaps it belonged better in that forum after waiting a little time for a reply - I realise this sort of thing is annoying and uncool and accordingly apologised for the double thread only in the General Software forum and pointed from there to this thread.

Sorry

Thanks for all the help

Associate
OP
Bingo! it would appear ImageWalker has it.

2.3 How to resize Multiple Images
Navigate to the folder containing the images you want to convert.
Select the images.
Open the filters view by on the View menu clicking Filters View
Select the resize filter in the filters view.
On the filter view toolbar click Filter Multiple Images
A wizard will appear that allows you to run the resize filter on multiple images.
2.4 How can I convert Multiple Images
Navigate to the folder containing the images you want to convert.
Select the images.
Click on the convert images command in the tools menu.
Set the required creation options.
Follow the steps in the wizard.

Thanks again

Soldato
There's a microsoft powertoy that enables you to right click an image in explorer and then click 'resize pictures'. It works well for resizing multiple images, just select all the images you want to resize and then right click one of them and resize it. Search for 'powertoy resize picture' on google.

Man of Honour
Solnyshko said:
Yes sorry about that. Thought perhaps it belonged better in that forum after waiting a little time for a reply - I realise this sort of thing is annoying and uncool and accordingly apologised for the double thread only in the General Software forum and pointed from there to this thread.

Sorry

Thanks for all the help
I didn't RTM because it doesn't bother me much - actually seeing the replies from different groups of people is pretty interesting - but yeah, Donnies can be contacted to move threads :)

Associate
OP
Beansprout said:
I didn't RTM because it doesn't bother me much - actually seeing the replies from different groups of people is pretty interesting - but yeah, Donnies can be contacted to move threads :)

*cough* yes erm, apologies for the extra legwork - will not repeat error :) :o

Associate
i use ACDSEE which ive had done loads of batches with

once youve got it setup it can do loads of batches all very easily

and free trial :)

Back
Top Bottom