• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Future GFX Cards

Associate
Evening all,

I was wondering if anyone here has any information on future GFX cards that are coming out in the next few months, if any. I'm planning on building a new PC in Aug/Sept time based on a Conroe CPU, but with Vista and DirectX10 coming out at the beginning of next year (or at least before the middle of next year! ;) ) I'm a bit unsure of what to do. Currently I'm looking at getting a Nvidia 7950GX2 type card to power a Dell 2407 but I was thinking of waiting for the newer cards which have basic DX10 support...

I've looked around, but all I can find is rumour and hints. Does anyone have any advice?

Associate
i what put your new rig on hold and wait for the first batch of dx10 cards you would be a fool to buy a directx9 card just before vistra is launched!!!!!!!!

Soldato
yep best not to jump to dx10 straight away. first time these gfx cards will be using a unified shader architecture so not sure what to expect really. i will wait for them to mature before i decide to upgrade again.

Soldato
they probably will arrive then but we wont know the true power of them until we get around 6-12 months down the line post vista release.

also the Crysis vids and pics on the net are all direct x 9 ;)

Soldato
smiley said:
i what put your new rig on hold and wait for the first batch of dx10 cards you would be a fool to buy a directx9 card just before vistra is launched!!!!!!!!
You would also be a fool to buy the first batch of DirectX 10 cards, as by the time DirectX 10 games other than Crysis available that card will probably be faily obsolete.

Wait until summer 2007, then we will be on the second or even third refresh of DirectX 10 cards and there should be a fair few titles out that justify the upgrade. Not to mention that most of the kinks would've been worked out too, it never helps to be an early adopter, just look at Ageia PhysX for a quality example of how that turns out.

Soldato
Úlfhednar said:
You would also be a fool to buy the first batch of DirectX 10 cards, as by the time DirectX 10 games other than Crysis available that card will probably be faily obsolete.

Wait until summer 2007, then we will be on the second or even third refresh of DirectX 10 cards and there should be a fair few titles out that justify the upgrade. Not to mention that most of the kinks would've been worked out too, it never helps to be an early adopter, just look at Ageia PhysX for a quality example of how that turns out.

You know people will tho :D

Permabanned
jrodga2k5 said:
they probably will arrive then but we wont know the true power of them until we get around 6-12 months down the line post vista release.

also the Crysis vids and pics on the net are all direct x 9 ;)

from what i know, it was DX9 heavily modified to simulate DX10 visual effects. So i expect DX9 to look a little worse, and DX10 to look a little better.

Associate
OP
Think I shall aim for 7950GX2 then...get the most power in one package now and wait until well into next year and see what the new DX10 cards are like. Like people have said they should have sorted themselves out (and got support for DX10.1 as well) by then...

Soldato
A_Darkfire said:
Think I shall aim for 7950GX2 then...get the most power in one package now and wait until well into next year and see what the new DX10 cards are like. Like people have said they should have sorted themselves out (and got support for DX10.1 as well) by then...
That's definitely the best way to go. X1800XT/7900GT, X1900XT, or 7950GX2 depending on how much power you think you'll need to last you until next year.

Back
Top Bottom