• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800 XT 256mb (Connect3D)

Hitman
Soldato
Hey,

Was tempted to get this yesterday but held off, but now I wants it! :p

Will this run fine on a Tagan 430w PSU?

I currently have:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra PCI-Express Motherboard
nVidia 6800GS XXX
2 x 1GB Ram
200GB x 2 HDD's
2 x CD-RW/DVD-RW's
2 Case fans

No problems at all running the current system.

Also, when would the offer end on this, so I can make sure I grab one while they are still in stock / on offer.

Cheers.

Soldato
Dont do it mate, you need at least the 530w. Im currently running the 430w with the rig in my sig, and if i overclock it causes power problems. Also my rails are very low, ie +12v is only 11.59, +5v is +4.89

Hitman
Soldato
OP
MeatLoaf said:
Dont do it mate, you need at least the 530w. Im currently running the 430w with the rig in my sig, and if i overclock it causes power problems. Also my rails are very low, ie +12v is only 11.59, +5v is +4.89

Ugghh. Already ordered it. I doubt I'll be overclocking (not a fan of overclocking, everything on my current setup is at stock). Should it be fine without it being overclocked?

Also, my rails seem fine (I think?); +12v is 11.968, +5v is 5.053, +3.3v is 3.36.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
MeatLoaf said:

We build an overclocked system with these card in which only has a 380W PSU.

So a Tagan 430W will power it absolutely fine!

Soldato
My 475W Enermax Noisetaker wouldn't run the X1800 XT because it has the 12V line split into two rails (15A and 16A) and the card must have been too much for one rail individually to run.

However another 465W Enermax PSU I have (which cost half as much) did run the X1800 XT because it only has one rail (33A).

Weird eh? I guess dual rails are actually a bad thing when you've got a top end power hungry card.

Associate
fish99 said:
My 475W Enermax Noisetaker wouldn't run the X1800 XT because it has the 12V line split into two rails (15A and 16A) and the card must have been too much for one rail individually to run.

However another 465W Enermax PSU I have (which cost half as much) did run the X1800 XT because it only has one rail (33A).

Weird eh? I guess dual rails are actually a bad thing when you've got a top end power hungry card.

Are you sure that's right? I was under the impression that the combined 12v values are more important than the individual ones. If the X1800XT had one rail all to itself surely that would have been enough anyway?

Just a tad concerned anyway, as I'm running my X1800XT off an antec trupower 450w, and that has two 12v rails. :( Seems to be stable so far though..

Soldato
That's what I thought, but for some reason the card wouldn't initialize with the dual rail PSU. Of course it's not always obvious which of the molex connectors represents a physical rail, but I tried just about every combination without any success. 15A * 12V is 180W, so I was very surprised it didn't work. I guess during POST the PSU is probably under major load and the effeciency drops, so that 180W could drop to the 70% figure of 126W, which is pretty close to the power usage of a X1800 XT.

Who knows.

Soldato
Too much rubbish in this thread: I have been running my X1800XT on an Akasa 460w with a 14A rail and a 15A rail and it's rock solid, people have told me they're running perfectly on the 400w version of my PSU and Gibbo just said that they run OC'ed X1800XT systems with 380w PSUs.

Caporegime
Úlfhednar said:
Too much rubbish in this thread: I have been running my X1800XT on an Akasa 460w with a 14A rail and a 15A rail and it's rock solid, people have told me they're running perfectly on the 400w version of my PSU and Gibbo just said that they run OC'ed X1800XT systems with 380w PSUs.

Indeed, mine runs fine on my PSU (not the tagan in my sig) and it only has 18A on the 12V rail

Soldato
Úlfhednar said:
Too much rubbish in this thread:

I was only speculating that the cause might be dual-rails, it's not like I was presenting it as a fact. What is a fact though was that with the Enermax Noisetaker 475W my system didn't get as far as the video card init screen, and when I changed only the PSU for another Enermax 465W PSU (the £35 one on the OcUK Enermax page) the PC worked (and is still working) totally fine. The differences between the two PSUs - the 465W one has a slightly stronger 12V line (33A versus 31A) and it has a single rail rather than two.

Soldato
fish99 said:
I was only speculating that the cause might be dual-rails, it's not like I was presenting it as a fact. What is a fact though was that with the Enermax Noisetaker 475W my system didn't get as far as the video card init screen, and when I changed only the PSU for another Enermax 465W PSU (the £35 one on the OcUK Enermax page) the PC worked (and is still working) totally fine. The differences between the two PSUs - the 465W one has a slightly stronger 12V line (33A versus 31A) and it has a single rail rather than two.
Did I quote you?

Soldato
Úlfhednar said:
Did I quote you?

You didn't need to. Anyone can follow the logic of the thread and see who your post was aimed at. No one else was talking about dual rails being a problem. Again I made it quite clear I was just speculating.

Soldato
fish99 said:
You didn't need to. Anyone can follow the logic of the thread and see who your post was aimed at. No one else was talking about dual rails being a problem. Again I made it quite clear I was just speculating.
You made an assumption, an incorrect one no less, so stop getting defensive. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom