Lets say I managed to make my cat speak English.

Permabanned
So, lets say I give my cat the ability to talk English. With perfect annunciation, grammar, syntax and clarity.

However, I wouldn't be able to understand what it was talking about. Not a word, none of what it was saying would make any sense at all.

Interesting idea.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think he means that although it knows English words, it still lacks the ability to use the words in an understandable way. I.e. to convey its thoughts.

EDIT: This is hard to explain. :(

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Skunkworks said:
I think he means that although it knows English words, it still cannot communicate in an understandable way.

Spot on.

It's frames of reference would be so far removed, the way it percieves and understands the worlds would so different to our own, we wouldn't share any common ground, share any understanding, despite talking the same language and communicating in the same fashion.

Think of it like this, when you're listening to two scientists talk about space time, quantum singularities, and time paradox theories. You would be able to understand the words they were saying, but they would mean nothing.

Now seperate that gap over an entirely different species and way of life and you would have no chance, in the slightest, of communicating.

Soldato
iCraig said:
So, lets say I give my cat the ability to talk English. With perfect annunciation, grammar, syntax and clarity.

However, I wouldn't be able to understand what it was talking about. Not a word, none of what it was saying would make any sense at all.

Interesting idea.

where can i buy whatever you are smoking???

Permabanned
OP
Borris said:
What? That the cat is spouting as much unutterable crap as the premise for this thread?

Typical really, somebody tries to start an interesting discussion about something, instead of the usual "how long do I cook a sheperds pie for?" drivel, and it gets dismissed as garbage.

If you don't want to talk about it, you know where the back button is. :)

Soldato
Cat: "You're going to go with one of my plans? Are you nuts? What happens if we all get killed? I'll never hear the last of it!"

Apparently not... now unless your cat has actually started talking English why start this thread? :confused: :D

Back
Top Bottom