Good News To Those In Need Of More PCI Slots

Soldato
Hi guys,

It's a common complaint. Some people don't have enough PCI slots anymore, be it by motherboard design or by the dual-slot configuration of some graphics cooling equipment.

Going hand in hand with these complaints is the abundance of mostly-useless PCI-E 1x slots. Well lament no more my friends, for the PCI-E 1x to PCI converter shall soon be abundant and in public hands. :)

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=3774

Sincerely yours,
Úlfhednar.

Soldato
OP
rar nigle said:
With everything having a usb option now, and the tendency for motherboards to have a tescos situated on board, I find that I don't need as many pci slots as I used to :D
Aye, but people who find themselves using things like sound cards, TV cards, network cards, firewire cards, SATA boards etc. and maybe using dual-slot cooling too it's a godsend. ;) It's a much more common problem than it would seem, and many people are miffed at the major chipset manufacturers for chucking those daft 1x PCI-E slots all over the board instead of more PCI slots. :p

Soldato
OP
taz488 said:
what are them small slots for? apart from taking up space?
At the moment pretty much nothing, but things like TV cards are beginning to appear that can fit into the PCI-E 1x slot. I can't imagine devices that need PCI-E 1x showing up in big enough numbers to make them worthwhile any time soon though. :(

Either way, it's the opinion of many that it would've been a better idea to simply keep them as PCI slots, so these adapters are a nice introduction. :)

Back
Top Bottom