Tragic: My m8 died in a bike accident on Weds

Soldato
Tragic loss: RSV Mille rider killed

A group of us in Scotland from the Bikers Oracle RSV forums have been getting together this summer for ride-outs.

On one on Weds evening, one of our friends, Craig, was tragically killed in a collision with a 4 wheel drive vehicle.

Although I had only met him a handful of times, Craig was a fantastic guy and an accomplished rider. He was one of the nicest blokes you could hope to meet. I was with him until the ambulance crew arrived.

Craig was a Paramedic and we both found a sort of common bond very quickly with myself being in the Fire Service. In his job, he gave an immeasurable amount to the public and his community and was highly regarded and respected by his workmates and everyone else who knew him.

Although I've witnessed many road accidents in my line of work, I just cant get my head around this and I'm having a tough time coming to terms with it.

He will be sorely missed.

My heart goes out to Claire his wife and all his family, friends and collegues in the Scottish Ambulance Service in Tayside, Scotland.

There is a thread over on the Bikers Oracle RSV section if anyone wishes to leave their condolences:-

http://www.bikersoracle.com/rsv/forum/showthread.php?t=5591

RIP Craig.........you will be forever in our thoughts and memories mate.

olv

olv

Soldato
Terrible news :( my thoughts are with his family.

It's threads like these that really put me off motorbikes. So dangerous because of factors out of your control.

Soldato
OP
We had met through an owners club website/forums and had been going out on bike runs this summer in a group.

I only met Craig a handful of times on runs we organised, but I felt like I had known him for longer. I've been a firefighter with Central Scotland FRS for 17 years and because of Craigs job, we seemed to hit it off right from the start and had a sort of "connection" if you know what I mean?. We often found ourselves "talking shop" when we stopped for a cuppa on the runs.

A nicer bloke you just couldn't hope to meet. I'm just gutted about the whole thing. You attend RTC's every other week and just get on with it, but when its someone you know and care about, its just unimaginable.

I wont go into too many details about the incident, but I stayed with Craig until the Crieff ambulance crew turned up. It was the longest time in my life, the minutes felt like hours. As soon as they arrived I approached them and told them who it was, I knew from experience that it was going to be awful for them both.

I didn't catch any of their names but I just wanted to say that they conducted themselves in a manner beyond reproach throughout. My hat goes off to both of them. The same goes for the Police Traffic officers who knew Craig and the firecrew who I think were from Auchterarder, although I'm not sure.

Spoke to Craigs wife on Friday evening on the phone for the first time. It wasn't easy for either of us I believe, but I'm glad she called me. Never met her before, but what a strong sounding woman. I just cant imagine how she is managing to deal with this so far.

This is still all very surreal for everyone concerned. I just cant believe its happening. We still have no idea how it happened, Craig was an experienced and accomplished rider, road conditions were fine and the corner itself wasn't a "technical" or difficult one. We were having a relaxed cruise out and I am finding myself running back through it all over and over thinking "what if?" all the time. Craig was at the back of the line of riders, so we didn't see what actually happened.

I did all I could given the circumstances, but I believe it was "instant" and he never felt any pain. Went back up there on Friday afternoon to lay some flowers. Not an easy thing to do. Felt awful.

What a damn waste of a life. For a guy who gave so much to his community and was obviously highly respected by everyone who knew him. Even though he died doing something he was passionate about, it doesn't make it any easier to come to terms with.

My heart goes out to Craigs wife, family and friends and also to his colleagues in Tayside, especially the crew who attended on Wednesday evening.

God bless Craig mate, you will forever be in our thoughts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having been involved in a couple of serious bike accidents myself, hearing news like this always makes me think, 'what if?' Although I have never met the chap concerned, I cannot help but feel annoyed and saddened that another person so passionate about bikes has lost their life on the roads.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. I can only imagine what they are going through right now :(

Soldato
Very sad to hear, but it is nice to see someone has some touching words to say about him.

It's not the ones that are gone that we mourn, they are in a better place (I hope). It's the ones left behind that mourn the loss. I have lost WAY too many friends and family for only being shy of 40 years old. So I know what you're going through.

Keep Craig in your thoughts and his life won't have been lost in vain. Sounds like too nice a chap to be just a 1/4 column in the local paper. Keep his memory alive to do his life justice!!!

Rest in Peace, Craig.

Back
Top Bottom