My bin is bugged

Soldato
DRZ said:
There is a thread on this over in SC.

I personally dont like the implications of it.
I do!
I've had three bins nicked in the last year or so! now if the buggers use them elsewhere the police can know!
BRILLIANT idea!

Associate
I dont have one!

Not fair, I WANT CHIP AND BIN!!!

:D

Though they probably will never introduce them round here, dont even have green bins to recycle our rubbish!! :rolleyes:

Soldato
DRZ said:
I personally dont like the implications of it.
i think it's a lot of fuss over nothing. they will only be collecting a small amount of data about how their own property is used. it's likely to help improve the service and thus benefit everyone.

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
TheCrow said:
it is so they can tax you for how much you use your bin.

Nobody has actually come out and said it, but the opportunity is clearly there and the "lets tax everything" initiative is very much present in government of late.

As said in the thread on this in Speakers Corner, the tax should be imposed on those manufacturing excessive packaging / junk mail rather than on the cunsumers that are forced to buy it.

By forced, I mean that if I want to go out today and buy a TV, it comes in an outer box, an inner cardboard sleeve, polystyrene, plastic bags galore etc. Ready meals are in loads of packaging as are a great many products. Yes, it might not be as appealing to consumers who pick the products but it would sure as hell reduce the amount of landfill each year if we taxed the nads off packaging :)

Soldato
DRZ said:
By forced, I mean that if I want to go out today and buy a TV, it comes in an outer box, an inner cardboard sleeve, polystyrene, plastic bags galore etc. Ready meals are in loads of packaging as are a great many products. Yes, it might not be as appealing to consumers who pick the products but it would sure as hell reduce the amount of landfill each year if we taxed the nads off packaging :)
long term it could be a good thing in a way... i mean if people get taxed on waste they're going to be more consious about the waste that comes from products, like you mentioned, so excess packaging would be frowned upon and long down the road it could mean a significant reduction in the amount of unnecessary waste. depends how much people would get taxed on it though. and of course "if" there is a reduction in unnecessary waste it would be waaaay down the line, so it's not something that harry taxpayer is going to care about.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
seek said:
long term it could be a good thing in a way... i mean if people get taxed on waste they're going to be more consious about the waste that comes from products, like you mentioned, so excess packaging would be frowned upon and long down the road it could mean a significant reduction in the amount of unnecessary waste. depends how much people would get taxed on it though. and of course "if" there is a reduction in unnecessary waste it would be waaaay down the line, so it's not something that harry taxpayer is going to care about.

If I go to my local supermarket and *everything* is packaged up in technicolour glory and I am getting taxed for it then I have to pay the tax (on top of any tax I already pay) to eat - when all I want is the food inside.

A MUCH fairer taxation model would be to tax the source, that way the actual problem is attacked rather than the soft option of adding to the tax bill of "harry taxpayer".

Zip

Zip

Soldato
DRZ said:
If I go to my local supermarket and *everything* is packaged up in technicolour glory and I am getting taxed for it then I have to pay the tax (on top of any tax I already pay) to eat - when all I want is the food inside.

A MUCH fairer taxation model would be to tax the source, that way the actual problem is attacked rather than the soft option of adding to the tax bill of "harry taxpayer".

Have you ever though about donating the Pakaging like boxes and ice cream contaners to primary schools?
The kids make things out of them and schools are always looking for things like that :)

Mum=Little kid teacher type person

Man of Honour
And people think I have gone all David Ike when I mention the Big Brother state and the fact that they want to monitor our every move. I checked my bin and I am bug free but there is a place for it, *******!

Mark my words, they will want to microchip your children next! :mad:

/puts on Manic Street Preachers song :)

Soldato
DRZ said:
but harry still loses out with that situation though, as product prices would surely increase. i agree it's probably the best option nonetheless.

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Zip said:
Have you ever though about donating the Pakaging like boxes and ice cream contaners to primary schools?
The kids make things out of them and schools are always looking for things like that :)

Mum=Little kid teacher type person

Peel off the blinkers for a second. If everyone in your community donated every single bit of packaging to their local school, what would be the outcome?

Aside from having the kids wade through piles of packaging to play football at dinnertime, it would all eventually end up in the same place it was originally going to anyway - landfill (or burning).

The only way to reduce the problem is to cut back the production - and the only way to do that is to make it unappealing to package items in the way they do - tax the bejesus out of companies that use excessive packaging and make it very hard for that tax burden to be passed on to the end consumer.

Back
Top Bottom