Need a "19 :D

Man of Honour
Same one that i just got. The Belinea 101927 19" tft with 3.9ms response time. £176.49 delivered but not from here. Lovely monitor. Black frame and stand with bevelled edges on the frame. Controls are silver metal situated on the front centre of the bottom of the frame. It has DVI-D and also the normal VGA inputs. It also has a speaker in each bottom corner but i am not using mine as i already have 5.1 speakers. I replaced my 21" CRT with it and it's main use is for gaming. No ghosting/blurring at all and not one dead/stuck pixel. See it on Belineas website here .

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
pastymuncher said:
Same one that i just got. The Belinea 101927 19" tft with 3.9ms response time. £176.49 delivered but not from here. Lovely monitor. Black frame and stand with bevelled edges on the frame. Controls are silver metal situated on the front centre of the bottom of the frame. It has DVI-D and also the normal VGA inputs. It also has a speaker in each bottom corner but i am not using mine as i already have 5.1 speakers. I replaced my 21" CRT with it and it's main use is for gaming. No ghosting/blurring at all and not one dead/stuck pixel. See it on Belineas website here .

Sorry but that monitor is no match for the Hyundai N91W or even the Beninea 19" Widescreen model that we sell. These are also considerably cheaper.

People buy into this faster response lark when infact monitors with 8ms and below response times its incredibly hard to notice the difference. Plus models with 4ms and less reponse time is due to aggressive modes built into the monitor to get that response which does mean that in certain applications the image quality can be lowered. As long as the monitor is 8ms or less it will be fine and the 19" widescreens are unbeatable in terms of value for money. :)

Plus if you stretch a little over £200 you can have a Belinea 20" Widescreen monitor that is currently on special offer along with the 19" models too. An absolutely cracking screen and one inch size in monitors terms is actually quite a bit bigger. :)

Man of Honour
So how come the few reviews that i found on it rate it up with the VX 922 (£40 odd more expensive) for gaming then? Have you got one? Well i have and am sitting right in front of it. It's a cracking monitor and after running Badasses tests on it i can't find a single fault. I would rather have this than a 19" widescreen with it's narrow long screen anyday. Not all games support widescreen anyway so you would end up with black bands on either side or having to hack the game.

Or are you just bitter i bought it from elsewhere?

OcUK Staff
pastymuncher said:
So how come the few reviews that i found on it rate it up with the VX 922 (£40 odd more expensive) for gaming then? Have you got one? Well i have and am sitting right in front of it. It's a cracking monitor and after running Badasses tests on it i can't find a single fault. I would rather have this than a 19" widescreen with it's narrow long screen anyday. Not all games support widescreen anyway so you would end up with black bands on either side or having to hack the game.

Or are you just bitter i bought it from elsewhere?

Nope but as I get to see all these screens I get to view them all and can generalise and give my opinions on them.

We deal with Belinea direct so have no bitterness against that particular model but these fast response monitors are more PR excercises for companies such as Viewsonic/Belinea as it gets them advertising when they can shout hey look at our monitor it has 1ms response time, which Viewsonic will soon have.

However if you use these screen you will see the benefits by going from an 8ms down to a 2ms screen are very limited, in fact to me the faster screens sacrifice quality in other areas and is hence why some of the very aggressive TN panels have poor DVD playback and are unable to hit very dark blacks and have poorer contrast.

I am sure Baddass can explain it far easier but my opinion is I preferre the widescreens and as its becoming very popular all/most games will support it anyway. :)

Caporegime
Gibbo, have you any idea if the DVD playback is any good on the Hyundai? I've read mrks review and he seems very happy with it but from someone that gets to see every monitor, as you said above, what's your opinion of it? Will I notice much difference in the video quality going from a CRT and is the 20" Dell really worth twice as much if I use it for DVDs? Cheers.

OcUK Staff
Pigeon_Killer said:
Gibbo, have you any idea if the DVD playback is any good on the Hyundai? I've read mrks review and he seems very happy with it but from someone that gets to see every monitor, as you said above, what's your opinion of it? Will I notice much difference in the video quality going from a CRT and is the 20" Dell really worth twice as much if I use it for DVDs? Cheers.

Hi there

First of all nope the DELL 20" is not worth twice as much, but I do have plenty if you want one. :)

Best 20" on the market is the Belinea, its amazing at everything due to the panel it uses.

On the 19" widescreens the Hyundai is the best of them all, then its a bit of a tie between the Belinea and Hanns-G.

If you want normal 19" then the decision gets harder as all the screens do the same job, the Belinea as posted in this thread bought elsewhere is fine, but my preference is widescreen but you may want to look at the Samsung and Hanns-G 19" normal models, again good screens and great value. :)

Caporegime
I'm definitely after a black widescreen monitor. I don't see any point going for a 4:3 anymore as most current and future games do or will support the widescreen format. I'm just worried that the TN panel, of the Hyundai, would look really crap for films compared to my old CRT and the Dell because of twinkling and poor quality. I can't make up my mind :( I feel the need to click on buy :D

OcUK Staff
Pigeon_Killer said:
I'm definitely after a black widescreen monitor. I don't see any point going for a 4:3 anymore as most current and future games do or will support the widescreen format. I'm just worried that the TN panel, of the Hyundai, would look really crap for films compared to my old CRT and the Dell because of twinkling and poor quality. I can't make up my mind :( I feel the need to click on buy :D

My advice is that a monitor is the only item you cannot upgrade!!

Therefor you should spend as much as you can and my suggestion is save up and go for the Belinea 20" Widescreen as it uses the superior AU panel which is superb for DVD playback and gives richer colours in games. :)

Associate
Gibbo said:
My advice is that a monitor is the only item you cannot upgrade!!

Therefor you should spend as much as you can and my suggestion is save up and go for the Belinea 20" Widescreen as it uses the superior AU panel which is superb for DVD playback and gives richer colours in games. :)

Is this the TFT your talking about Gibbo:

Belinea 102035W 20.1" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black/Silver (MO-003-BE)

If so, i looks damn fine, may part with some pennies and order one... Is it really THE best 20" widescreen out there atm? I know NOTHING about TFT's, so don't know whats so great about AU panels... :confused:

Also i see the native resolution is 1680 x 1050, this worries me a bit as i only have a 256mb 7800GTX Extreme... Is that card fast enough for such a resolution?

OcUK Staff
Legless said:

If so, i looks damn fine, may part with some pennies and order one... Is it really THE best 20" widescreen out there atm? I know NOTHING about TFT's, so don't know whats so great about AU panels... :confused:

Also i see the native resolution is 1680 x 1050, this worries me a bit as i only have a 256mb 7800GTX Extreme... Is that card fast enough for such a resolution?

Its not the best, the best 20" I believe is the NEC model, but that cost a lot more money. But in the price region the Belinea is fantastic and you will not be dissapointed. :)

Man of Honour
Gibbo said:
I am sure Baddass can explain it far easier but my opinion is I preferre the widescreens and as its becoming very popular all/most games will support it anyway. :)

The Belinea 101927 is a good screen, but there is relatively little fuss made about it really. Not many reviews of it are around and it's not widely available. As Gibbo has rightly said, the agressive use of overdrive technologies to lower response times can have their adverse effects in other areas. Typically the use of overdrive can lead to accentuated noise in movie playback and sometimes some white halo-ing around moving objects. This was particularly noticable on the Samsung "fast" range like their 970P and 940BF for instance. The Viewsonic VX922 and Belinea 101927 are some of the better overdriven models in the 19" market as their overdrive is at least pretty well controlled. However, whether there is any noticable improvement in real use is arguable when compared with the 8ms generation that Gibbo refers to.

Overall the TN Film market has its weaknesses when you compare it with models like the Belinea 102035W and NEC LCD20WGX2 for instance. The "AU panel" Gibbo refers to is the panel used in the Belinea. Basically rather than being TN Film technology, the panel is based on P-MVA technology and manufacturered by AU Optronics. Take a look at the details about panel technologies here if you want to know more, but they certainly have their advantages over the ageing and saturated TN Film market. The P-MVA models around today offer some of the best movie playback in the market. While they do use overdrive technologies to boost response time, there is not as much affect on the noise in movies. The technology also offers wider viewing angles and deeper black depth which really make them a much better choice than TN Film for movie use. Obviously WS format is a big pro here as well for this use.

Soldato
Legless said:

i play a lot of games on my 7600gt at 1600x1200 so your 7800gtx will do the job fine.

Man of Honour
t31os said:
So what was the overall verdict for the OP's question?.....

£200 gaming monitor. I'd say if you want a WS format then look at the Hyundai N91W which is very well priced. If you want 4:3 format then i'd push the budget slightly and get the Viewsonic VX922 which is arguably the best gaming TFT in the market right now, very well established and a top performer.

Soldato
Baddass said:
£200 gaming monitor. I'd say if you want a WS format then look at the Hyundai N91W which is very well priced. If you want 4:3 format then i'd push the budget slightly and get the Viewsonic VX922 which is arguably the best gaming TFT in the market right now, very well established and a top performer.

Perfect answer, thank you....

Man of Honour
Gibbo said:
Its not the best, the best 20" I believe is the NEC model, but that cost a lot more money. But in the price region the Belinea is fantastic and you will not be dissapointed. :)

The NEC certainly is the best, it might have a glass front screen but this is what makes it the best! my workmate brought his to the LAN and oh man, you can sit a few cm away from the screen for /any/ application and not have the slightest bit of fatigue or eyesore, it is so clear and so crisp. he paid £400 for it and it is quite a thick panel too but it is certainly amazing in quality!

If I had that kind of money, it would be no brainer that is certain!

I am very pleased with my N91W but the moment I saw his NEC 20" widescreen I almost fell over with a heavy jaw swinging from side to side.

If only I had the extra money :( I'd also have to buy a new mobo/cpu/gfx as my current cpu would probably not be able to handle 1680x1050 on newer games coming out without sacrificing quality which is something you don't want to do on such a nice display.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom