Spec me a bike (Leisure/commuting)

Associate
Hi,

Basically I'm looking for a bike that'd suit me, I'll be using it for commuting during the week and messing around with at weekends. I won't be jumping off any 20ft cliffs, just basic offroad stuff on weekends so I'd imagine I'll be better off with just front (or even no?) suspension?

Price I'm quite flexible on, I'd be comfortable spending around £200-250 but I'd go higher if it was justified.

Is it alright to buy one online? I've not really got access to any good bike dealers. Halfords is about it.

Thanks in advance, if any other info is needed I'll not be long replying.

Cheers

Soldato
I got a specialized hardrock sport for just under 250 quid. You will be hard pushed to find a better value bike for your money.

Choose between the sport and the regular hardrock depending on your needs. The sport has longer travel on the forks and a shorter top tube making it more suitable for offroad activities whereas the regular has a more upright riding position better suited for x-country trails and road work.

My advice is go to a local bike shop, try a few out, find what you are comfy with then order it online saving 50 quid minimum in the process. Put the 50 towards a decent u-lock and robert is your mothers brother.

Associate
GT Avalanche 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0. Great bike and you'll still get some 2006 models around. Just bought one and it's cracking. Frame's are rock solid.
The more you pay, the better the components will be.

Got my 3.0 for £240 with mechanical disc brakes.

Associate
OP
Cheers lads, I'll look into the ones suggested so far. I've tried a couple of bike dealers but they've both been crap to be honest. I think I'll just go with ordering one of the recommendations from the net, I'm sure I'll be happy with it (whatever "it" is).

Caporegime
Swiftan said:
Cheers lads, I'll look into the ones suggested so far. I've tried a couple of bike dealers but they've both been crap to be honest. I think I'll just go with ordering one of the recommendations from the net, I'm sure I'll be happy with it (whatever "it" is).

In that case, make sure you get the right size frame. And budget for some pedals as some online bikes doesn't come with pedals.

Associate
You'll get away with a 19" but may need a 21".

If you get the 19" you can always adjust the seat pole to suit. Get a bike that's too big and it'll be akward when stopping etc.

You'll get a LOT of bike for £400 while they clear the 2006 stock. DeVer Cycles, Chain Reaction, Cycle Surgery, Hargrove Cycles, Wiggle, Rutland are to name a few.

I was round most of them checking.

Heard the Carrera Fury in Halfords is a decent bike (great spec) even though I hate Halford's. Got them reduced at the moment.

Associate
OP
My finger is quivering on the order button for that Giant XTC SE 2007 but I'm trying to make sure of what size I'll need. I went to the nearest bike dealer and all they had was a 19" and it felt alright, but I couldn't compare it to a 21" frame. I'd hate to order a 19" not knowing a 21" would be more comfortable. Kinda in a hurry to order it as well.

I've measured my inside leg and it's 34 inches give or take an inch or two.

What size do other 6ft blokes ride if there's any lurking?

Any clarifications please?

Last edited:
Associate
Never rush into a £400-£500 buy. What's the hurry. The bike's been there a wee while. Try and find a Giant dealer near by and ask what you need but obviously let them think a sale is possible. They may even knock a few quid off.

Associate
OP
Just to update (if anyone's in the slightest interested) I went with the Giant XTC SE 2007 and I'm chuffed to bits with it. I used an online calculator to find out the perfect frame size (which was 19").

Ordered it Wednesday night and got it on Friday morning, top service from dalescycles.com and I'm every bit glad with what I got for 400 quid.

Thanks for the help lads.

Permabanned
Just to let you all know that thanks to this forum I also ordered myself a Giant XTC SE 2007 from that site, saving £100 on the price from edinburgh bicycle :D

Prompt delivery and came mostly assembled, just needed the front wheel fitted.
Pretty chuffed with my new bike, though sometimes it makes a high-pitched sound if getting pushed(!)

Soldato
M0KUJ1N said:
Just to let you all know that thanks to this forum I also ordered myself a Giant XTC SE 2007 from that site, saving £100 on the price from edinburgh bicycle :D

Prompt delivery and came mostly assembled, just needed the front wheel fitted.
Pretty chuffed with my new bike, though sometimes it makes a high-pitched sound if getting pushed(!)

Did you set the disk brakes up properly?

Tis a nice bike,my cousin has the same brakes that come on it.

Permabanned
probably not, first bike I've had with disc brakes and bar a bit of adjustment of the reservoirs at the top I haven't done anything with them. Doesn't appear to affect riding though so fingers crossed it's just a sign that it needs breaking in a bit :)

Will give it a check at the weekend to make sure discs and pads are straight though

Soldato
M0KUJ1N said:
probably not, first bike I've had with disc brakes and bar a bit of adjustment of the reservoirs at the top I haven't done anything with them. Doesn't appear to affect riding though so fingers crossed it's just a sign that it needs breaking in a bit :)

Will give it a check at the weekend to make sure discs and pads are straight though

Unscrew the caps on the reservoir so the pads are fully away from the disks and see if the distance between each pad is the same. If they arent you end up with one pad touching before the other,which causes some drag.

Back
Top Bottom