Desktop ghosting / shadowing problem with my ASUS 22"

Soldato
I have just setup my new ASUS MW221U and I am getting horrible ghosting / shadowing on the desktop. It is most noticeable on white text against a dark background i.e. OcUK forums! It also affects the edges of pictures and table borders etc.

I am running at native res 1680x1050 @ 65KHz 60Hz via DVI and have turned off font smoothing.

Note the ghosting on the numbers and the light points at the corners of the rectangle:

Note the ghosting were light meets dark on the picture:

I have tried using a different DVI cable and also an analogue cable but the picture remains the same. Has anyone got any suggestions or have I just got a bad 'un?

Last edited:
Soldato
I doubt cleartype will do it. Try different refresh rates and maybe change the dvi / vga port its plugged into.

Have a play with the on monitor settings too, could just be something in there like sharpness or something.

Soldato
Can I ask how did you get that effect - are you moving the window from side to side? I don't seem to get anything like those dark echoes on my 2007WFP when moving the same picture around, and on paper your MW221U should be the quicker screen. It's hard to compare though really without taking the same photo with the same camera on a range of screens.

Does the screen have any different modes you can try in the OSD? The website mentions scenery, theatre and gaming modes - try all those to see if it happens on them all. Can you turn the 'Trace Free Technology' on and off?

It could just be a weakness of the panel used, that it's particularly slow with certain colour transitions (rising up from black), but generally very quick otherwise. The headline response time doesn't give you the whole picture of how a screen will perform.

Soldato
OP
Sherwood said:
Have you tried Cleartype, on/off???
That was my first thought too. I have turned off all font smoothing inc. ClearType. But the problem is also present on non-text elements anyway.

z0mbi3 said:
Try different refresh rates and maybe change the dvi / vga port its plugged into.
At 1680 the only refresh rate is 60Hz. I have tried using the other DVI port on my graphics card, a different DVI cable and an analogue cable.

fish99 said:
Can I ask how did you get that effect - are you moving the window from side to side?
No that is a photo of a stationary screen!

fish99 said:
Does the screen have any different modes you can try in the OSD? The website mentions scenery, theatre and gaming modes - try all those to see if it happens on them all. Can you turn the 'Trace Free Technology' on and off?
The 'Spendid' modes just seem to be preset brightness/contrast/saturation levels, the ghosts/shadows are still present. The only other adjustable when on a DVI input is sharpness, but again this does not help. No sign of 'Trace Free' option.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, any more?

Soldato
If it happens on a still image, then clearly it's not about screen speed then. Hmm... that's a really odd problem you have there. It can't really be down to cables if it happens through DVI since it's a digital signal, and if you're using 1680*1050 then it's not a lower resolution being scaled up causing the problem. I don't see how it could be font/cleartype related either since it's happening round pictures not just text.

Assuming you video card is ok, I'd say it looks like it could be something like faulty electronics in the monitor. You could try the screen with another PC, and I also think it's worth searching the web for other people having the same issue. I suppose it could be something like very agressive overdrive trying to predict colour changes before they happen to get the screen down to 2 ms, but clearly if it affects still image quality that would be unacceptable. That's not likely though. It does kinda look like the ghost images you get with poor VGA cables, but the cables you get with the screen should be good enough for the native res, and you still wouldn't get it through DVI, just VGA.

One other thing you could try - if you're using ATI try selecting 'alternate DVI operation mode' in Digital Display Properties->Attributes in CCC.

Soldato
OP
Finally got through to someone at ASUS who appeared to know what they are talking about. They said this was a known issue with some units and that it requires a firmware update. They would be willing to send me the firmware but it requires a special cable (parrallel to DVI?). Otherwise it is an RMA.

Man of Honour
IT Troll said:
Finally got through to someone at ASUS who appeared to know what they are talking about. They said this was a known issue with some units and that it requires a firmware update. They would be willing to send me the firmware but it requires a special cable (parrallel to DVI?). Otherwise it is an RMA.

I would RMA tbh.. If it goes wrong you are liable.

Thanks for the heads up if anything else.. I think I've just decided on the Samsung.

Would be interesting to have a comment from the shop regarding this issue.

Associate
Bought my Asus a few days ago and received it yesterday. No problems here, its quality, but I do hear some weird noises when I turn the power off.

Permabanned
:eek:
Rapid-D said:
Bought my Asus a few days ago and received it yesterday. No problems here, its quality, but I do hear some weird noises when I turn the power off.

You sure that's the monitor and not a ghosty in your room!! :eek:

Soldato
OP
My monitor was bought a month ago but only just unpacked (for Christmas). It could be that the current batches already have the new firmware. Searching the net I did find mention of a delay in shipment rumoured to be because of a such an update.

I have made a comparision between my old monitor and the ASUS to submit as part of my RMA:

Permabanned
We'll my work was kind enough to send my Asus to my home and I've now unpacked it and set it up and do not have any of the problems you are experiencing.

I do have to say though that this monitor is gorgeous and the picture is excellent. Jumping from a 19" to this is impressive and I cannot wait to connect my Xbox 360 up to it.

Soldato
OP
Just to conclude this thread I now have my monitor back from RMA with the new firmware. This has drastically improved the image quality of the desktop which suffered from nasty shadowing/ghosting/noise. As I don't have any real firmware version numbers I have simply called them v1 and v2 in the comparison picture:

However the monitor does still have a fast motion ghosting issue in games when the overdrive is enabled. This is covered in more detail in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom