64 bit or 32 bit?

Soldato
i got a 64 bit on its way, and was wondering wether i should get a 64 bit OS... but, i have been reading and hearing that 64 bit still has MANY problems with drivers... have most 3rd party programmes cought up with 64 bit? or is it just viseable to get 32 bit and wait for a while?

thanks, ags

Soldato
Third party software isn't really a problem. x64 variants of Windows (including Vista) have an emulation layer that allows all 32-bit software to run and to be honest I've never seen any user-mode software throw a tantrum because of it.

Device drivers is another issue though. However Vista is launched in a matter of weeks and with it comes new restrictions on WHQL signed drivers. The new rules require that every WHQL driver will have both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries in a combined package. Both drivers must pass the stress tests before the WHQL signing is given to the driver. This is a big incentive for those pesky hardware vendors to get their finger out.

I'd get Vista 64-bit. You'll regret it in 6 months if you don't. Sure you will probably have a couple headaches with drivers until late February but they'll just be annoyances rather than show stoppers on the whole.

Soldato
OP
NathanE said:
Third party software isn't really a problem. x64 variants of Windows (including Vista) have an emulation layer that allows all 32-bit software to run and to be honest I've never seen any user-mode software throw a tantrum because of it.

Device drivers is another issue though. However Vista is launched in a matter of weeks and with it comes new restrictions on WHQL signed drivers. The new rules require that every WHQL driver will have both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries in a combined package. Both drivers must pass the stress tests before the WHQL signing is given to the driver. This is a big incentive for those pesky hardware vendors to get their finger out.

I'd get Vista 64-bit. You'll regret it in 6 months if you don't. Sure you will probably have a couple headaches with drivers until late February but they'll just be annoyances rather than show stoppers on the whole.

wow... that was exactly the response i was looking for! thank you so very much, very helpful. well in that case, im gonna pre order vista x64 on the 21st :)

thank you again.. very much so
ags

Man of Honour
Soldato
NathanE is quite right. Vista on x86-64 will be nowhere near as uncommon as XP on X-86-64. The OS deals with the bit-level better and 3rd parties will step up and do their part as well since it is not a platform that will need full support, rather than the experimental support many gave to XP on x86-64.

Permabanned
Vista's a very nice OS, had well fast performance on my old system over XP, A64 2.5 Ghz (3000+) 2gb PC3200 ram, it ran a lot faster than XP did.
Only problem with Vista is drivers, mainly nVidia's shoddy waste of space drivers :rolleyes:

I think Vista will offer the same gaming performance probably, but much faster general Windows use.

Soldato
Ok Noob question here.

Is core 2 duo 64 bit and if I want to run a game that is 32bit on a 64bit machine will I notice performance decrease? Thanks.

Soldato
Cheers for quick reply.
I'm also asking will you see any benefits in gaming with Vista 64 compared to Vista 32 bit? Or is it simply a case of 'get Vista 64 if your CPU supports it'
And my C2D with EMT64 means Vista 64 is the only sensible choice, right? :confused:

Man of Honour
Soldato
OzyOly said:
Ok Noob question here.

Is core 2 duo 64 bit and if I want to run a game that is 32bit on a 64bit machine will I notice performance decrease? Thanks.
Yes, the C2D has support for EM64T which is Intel's version of the AMD64 instruction set. No, it won't run 32-bit applications more slowly than 64-bit applications.

Soldato
tomanders91 said:
so basicly 64bit runs both?

Seems so. Bring on Vista 64bit. Now all I need is that adapter for xbox 360 controllers (wireless) to connect to the pc. It isn't out to feburary but I need it seeing as XBCD drivers don't work with vista.

Back
Top Bottom