Photobox problems - can't calibrate!

Soldato
Am I the only one that has problems with Photobox?

If I adjust my photos so that they look great on my laptop they come out quite green and too bright from Photobox. Over various printings I've tried to adjust my screen's colour profile to get a more consistent output from Photobox.

I've just received the latest set in the post and they nowhere near as good as they are onscreen. The colour contrast seems very low and they all seem a bit dim. I've tried printing their calibration print but i'm not sure where to go from there.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can match up better with their system? Or alternatively should I give up and switch to printing my own photos? :(

Soldato
There's no point in printing your own version of their calibration print as that will vary according to the output of your printer.

Do you have a calibration print they sent that you can use? Usually it comes with your first order but I believe you can request one if you email them.

Soldato
OP
glitch said:
There's no point in printing your own version of their calibration print as that will vary according to the output of your printer.

Do you have a calibration print they sent that you can use? Usually it comes with your first order but I believe you can request one if you email them.

I meant that I put their calibration print in with my order online. I.e. I uploaded the .jpg and they printed it on the 7x5.5" paper that I normally use. :p

Associate
You're supposed to adjust your monitor so this image looks as near as you can get it to the printed calibration sheet you were supplied.

Soldato
Remember that no matter how accurate you get the colours the print will always look dull when compared to the image on the screen because there isn't a light shining behind your print :)

Associate
SDK^ said:
Remember that no matter how accurate you get the colours the print will always look dull when compared to the image on the screen because there isn't a light shining behind your print :)
This is a good point that is easily over looked (not saying the OP didn't realise this, just saying in general).

I use photobox a lot and find I need to make the images I upload a bit brighter than they come out on my screen. The colours are usually not as vibrant either but overall I am very happy with the quality. It says in their site they may start supporting colour profiles in the future so that should help :)

Associate
SilverPenguin said:
It says in their site they may start supporting colour profiles in the future so that should help :)

they have been saying that for absolutely ages...probably well over a year. i cant see them ever supporting colour profiles as i see that the colour lottery actually benefits them!...people printing test prints, repeat orders to get it right etc.

Associate
They used to ask for prints to be done at A3 and over be sent as Adobe RGB but they have since changed that back to just RGB. Annoying it took me sending images in adobe and getting them back with odd colours to find that out :rolleyes:

Associate
The prints i had done were VERY dark compared to on screen, ive calibrated my monitor using their calibration print but im not holding my hopes out as i didnt change much!

Ive since used a high street store and found them much better

Soldato
Raider said:
I'm tempted to buy a printer instead. How easy is it to setup / calibrate?
Home printing costs are much higher than buying prints from online photo developers.

Associate
I think the general rule with photobox is to increase brightness (or trim the levels) by around 10-15% plus increase saturation by roughly the same.

It is essential to ensure that you use sRGB, calibrate your screen in a consistant way.

I plan to do a series of test shots to work out a magic formula some time. Skin tones are by far the hardest thing to get spot on.

Associate
I contacted Photobox about this after getting some poor colours on a christmas present.

I spoke with their quality control manager who sent me the Fuji paper profiles for Glossy and Matt prints that they do in the following sizes on their Polielettronica machines:
10x7" A4 12x10" 15x10" 12x12" 14x11" 20x8"
A3 16x12" 18x12" 20x16" A2 30x20".

MATT
GLOSSY

Instructions for photoshop:
You'll effectively be soft proofing your images and you can do this in
the following way;

First install the profiles on Photoshop. Then, before uploading your
images, convert them to the profile and make any required adjustments
before saving the new version of the image (save with or without the
profile):

1) Open the image in Photoshop and discard any other profile in the
image if it has one.

2) Go to View / Proof SetUp / Custom

3) From the drop-down list select the Fuji paper profile.

4) Select 'preserve colour numbers' (this will show the image as it is
presently printed)

5) Make the required adjustments so that the on-screen image appears
as you want it printed.

6) Save this new version of the image and upload it for printing.
Once these new versions have uploaded, the prints from them will be a
close match to what you see on-screen.

NOTE: When you look at your images in another photo program they will appear over saturated.

Hope that of some use folks!
/edit - the re-prints came out a million times better!

Kev

Last edited:
Associate
I have calibrated my monitor (with a spyder) and use srgb profiles in CS2. I find that if I increase my saturation by about 10%, I get in print exactly what I see on screen. Hopefully this might help someone as a starting point :)

Soldato
Chief Wiggum said:
I spoke with their quality control manager who sent me the Fuji printer profiles for Glossy and Matt prints that they do in the following sizes
Hang on, I thought Photobox used the Fuji for anything up to 10"x15" and the Polielectronica for everything else?

Associate
glitch said:
Hang on, I thought Photobox used the Fuji for anything up to 10"x15" and the Polielectronica for everything else?

Opps - you are right, I'll amend the post the actual email reads:

Please find attached the paper profiles for the Fuji Crystal Archive paper that we use on the Polielettronica machines.
-Snip-
Also, for you interest, the prints that are now made on the
Polielletronica are:

The instructions I've posted above are still valid for the print sizes listed

Kev

Associate
Chief Wiggum said:
I contacted Photobox about this after getting some poor colours on a christmas present.

I spoke with their quality control manager who sent me the Fuji paper profiles for Glossy and Matt prints that they do in the following sizes on their Polielettronica machines:

MATT
GLOSSY

Instructions for photoshop:
You'll effectively be soft proofing your images and you can do this in
the following way;

First install the profiles on Photoshop. Then, before uploading your
images, convert them to the profile and make any required adjustments
before saving the new version of the image (save with or without the
profile):

1) Open the image in Photoshop and discard any other profile in the
image if it has one.

2) Go to View / Proof SetUp / Custom

3) From the drop-down list select the Fuji paper profile.

4) Select 'preserve colour numbers' (this will show the image as it is
presently printed)

5) Make the required adjustments so that the on-screen image appears
as you want it printed.

6) Save this new version of the image and upload it for printing.
Once these new versions have uploaded, the prints from them will be a
close match to what you see on-screen.

NOTE: When you look at your images in another photo program they will appear over saturated.

Hope that of some use folks!
/edit - the re-prints came out a million times better!

Kev

great post!...nice one

will take the time to try this out on some shots very soon.

Have you noticed this improves the constant complain that most people have of the images being dark or is it just the saturation is now improved?

Associate
no worries!

I've noticed that it really sorts the colours out - with my first prints - big pink flowers and the like the pinks looked really washed out and there was a large greenish / yellow tint on the pictures. when using the colour profile, it started off washed out (in photoshop), then I boosted the contrast / saturation and editied the levels a little to get the colours I wanted.

When I received the prints, they pretty much jumped off the paper, there was that much of a difference.

When you look at the images outside of photoshop say, in windows picture viewer, the images you've tweaked look really wrong, and it's hard to see the right shapes and colours - but don't worry, it should be fine when printed!

Kev

Back
Top Bottom