P5N32-E wont boot

Associate
Hi all,

I replaced my motherboard and CPU cooler today and have just finished rebuilding everything but after trying to power on the system wont boot at all.

Specs;

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Tuniq Tower 120
Asus P5N32-E
2GB (2x1GB) Corsair XMS2 PC6400
BFG 7950GX2
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty
240GB Maxtor HDDs (2x120GB)
Asus 16x DVDROM
Asus 16x dual layer DVDRW
Tagan 530W EasyCon PSU

The little green LED on the motherboard lights up and whenever I press the power switch on the chassis the red LED on my Fatal1ty card flashes on for a second but none of the fans try to kick in.

First of all I checked that the CMOS jumper was in the correct position and have tried booting with it in both positions to no avail. Then I thought that perhaps the PSU wasn't able to supply enough power and have tried disconnecting both of my optical drives, both HDDs, my sound card and graphics card and yet the PC still fails to boot. The CPU fan doesn't even try to kick in. I've also made sure to remove my PS2 keyboard as I recall hearing of certain 680i based boards failing to boot with PS2 devices. All I can think of trying now is to reposition my RAM DIMMs, after that I'm stumped.

If anyone else knows anything else I could try please post it here, cheers.

Associate
Try one stick of RAM it may well see the ram settings wrongly.

Have you reset the Bios?

Take everything off except Graphics, once stick of ram and the CPU + HS and see if it will boot

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help lads but I've managed to sort it.

The connector for the CPU power, which is normally a 4-pin thingy (well it was on my previous P5W DH Deluxe and damn near every Pentium 4 motherboard I've ever had) was actually an 8-pin but Asus had placed a black cover over half of it. I thought that this was for a reason so had simply attached the appropriate 4-pin power cable. I've since removed the cap and connected an 8-pin to it and low and behold the CPU fan kicks in. :p

Turns out you can be too cautious sometimes, hopefully if anyone else has this simple issue will see this thread. Now I'm off for a take-away before putting all my gubbinz back in again. Maybey I'll finally have Vista and all my programs set up by daylight. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom