Schools closing?

Soldato
Why is it schools close with a smattering of snow? The vast majority of pupils live very close to schools, certainly possible to walk to school if things got really bad (it normally isn't though).

Why do businesses not close? I don't see any shops closing, all their staff manage to get into work.

Is it that teachers can't be bothered, clearly even a handful of teachers not coming in would make it very difficult to manage the situation - so is this the reason? Teachers don't make the effort other employees do and the impact is greater than in most businesses.

Soldato
I was working in a school today and it was only staff no pupils. Lucky I had gone there to meet a staff member really. They claim with this sue at the drop of a hat society we have become they dare not take the risk.

I mean if just one little darling gets knocked over, slips or gets a bruise from a snowball you can only imagine the repercussions,

Associate
seek said:
because its nice to give kids the occasional 'snow day'. we all remember them fondly. :)

I think that's the actual reason, we rarely get snow in most of England, and well everyone knows

snow = fun! :D

Caporegime
Yeah probably, they all realise that when we get older than 25 we will all turn into moany old ******** when snow is concerned. ;)

Bes

Bes

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Yeah probably, they all realise that when we get older than 25 we will all turn into moany old ******** when snow is concerned. ;)
25? I'm 23 and I've hated both snow and christmas since 16 FFS!

/goes to find some kids to shout at :o

Soldato
OP
Surely not? I'm almost middle aged but my mood rises when I see a snow capped landscape, it's lovely :)

Thankfully I get more doses of snowy loveliness than most, although it's a hard walk to find it :(

Soldato
seek said:
because its nice to give kids the occasional 'snow day'. we all remember them fondly. :)

well that and teachers are lazy *******.

WOW So you're a teacher? You know this? Well my lazy ****** of a dad spent his 'snow day' planning some lessons and catching up on some marking whilst everyone enjoyed themselves. Try being a teacher in this day and age where kids have all the rights, OFSTED etc.. are always on your back, the government changes policy on education every minute making your life a living hell learning their half arsed new schemes, teaching absolute brats who can do no wrong and whose parents aren't much better etc.. couple that with not so great pay and you're all set. Oh and everythings 'your' fault, the simple fact that some kids aren't quite the brightest bulb in the array dosen't come in to play, anything goes wrong is the teachers fault. Oh yea, my lazy **** of a father also produces A and B students at A'level AND GCSE on a constant basis, god hes so lazy.

Caporegime
I always thought it was for safety reasons - can't have kids slipping on the playground and their parents suing the school. Bit suprised to see the teachers getting the blame. I do hope they keep the school open 1 day extra in the summer so the kids can catch up like they do in the USA though :p

Besides, there's an episode of the Simpsons thats shows us the danger of opening school on a snow day ;)

Soldato
sure i'm biased, i get to see what it does to my ol'mans health and stress levels almost daily, so you can be as smart alecked all you want and be the 'cool' forum guy who brushes off the truth when heard but until you walked in someones shoes you cannot judge them.

Soldato
Justintime said:
sure i'm biased, i get to see what it does to my ol'mans health and stress levels almost daily, so you can be as smart alecked all you want and be the 'cool' forum guy who brushes off the truth when heard but until you walked in someones shoes you cannot judge them.
or maybe you're just taking my posts too seriously.

Soldato
I don't get why everyone wants to moan about snow days and teachers being "lazy". My boyfriends mother is a primary school head teacher, and she works harder than anyone I know. Like a lot of teachers, she doesn't live in the town she works, and snow can make the already bad road between her home and the school very dangerous, if not unusable.

I can remember a few snow days when I was at school. Most were because the majority of pupils travelled by bus, and if roads were getting bad the school had to make a judgement on whether it would be safer to send us home early than wait and potentially have double decker buses going along very icy roads.
We had some teachers who relied on public transport, and again, it's a judgement to make in the morning as to whether that transport would still be running at the end of the school day. I would suspect most people would take a day off work if there was bad weather forecast that would likely cause problems in getting home again.

EDIT: I've never seen a high school that didn't have at least 50% of their pupils outwith walking distance of the school.

Soldato
have you seen what happens when secondarys school students mix with snow ? :p

if theyre anything like my school....

full on chaos
multiple windows broken
car accidents caused
small kids getting snowmaned left right and centre

its way too much hassle for the schools to be honest

as for primary schools

let them enjoy the snow theyr eonly young once !

Soldato
My School today was closed, 100 teachers and 1000 students from a 50 mile radius and some from further IIRC.

I only found out after a mate phoned me just as I was going to leave, brothers school was open tho :D

Back
Top Bottom