What Vcore reading is right

Man of Honour
As my " experience " goes theres no accurate way to get an absolute Vcore reading.

You'll just have to go by software or Bios settings and watch the temps.

Fluctuation in your PSU ( i.e +/- 5% ? is going to vary this , unless you have a rock steady PSU, and a faultless power supply from the national grid ! )

Always watch the temps.

** If in doubt , don't push it **

Mark

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Temps have maxed at 44C during Orthos with the 2x120mm rad fans on 35% in Speedfan.
PSU is a Seasonic 500W model
+3.3 - 3.1
+5.0 - 4.87
+12 - 11.84
all under Orthos load.

Soldato
mrdbristol is correct. The monitoring chip on the P5N-E is an ITE IT8718F-S and frankly, it's not very good. To get proper voltages you need to use a voltmeter. The readings are pretty linear though - so if you start off with a setting of 1.0V in the BIOS and it reads 1.1V in CPUz, then usually if you set the BIOS to read 1.1V, CPUz will read the extra 0.1V and show 1.2V and so on. You also have to compare apples with apples on the loading - you can't compare the voltage at idle with the voltage under 100% load for example. Voltages aren't usually a problem anyway as the processor will just overheat and shut itself down. It's quite a leap of faith, I know, but usually, if you can cool it, it will usually run quite happily without reducing the lifetime of the CPU. RAM is different in my experience. I've killed RAM with over-volting and extreme temperatures.

Soldato
OP
WJA96 said:
mrdbristol is correct. The monitoring chip on the P5N-E is an ITE IT8718F-S and frankly, it's not very good. To get proper voltages you need to use a voltmeter. The readings are pretty linear though - so if you start off with a setting of 1.0V in the BIOS and it reads 1.1V in CPUz, then usually if you set the BIOS to read 1.1V, CPUz will read the extra 0.1V and show 1.2V and so on. You also have to compare apples with apples on the loading - you can't compare the voltage at idle with the voltage under 100% load for example. Voltages aren't usually a problem anyway as the processor will just overheat and shut itself down. It's quite a leap of faith, I know, but usually, if you can cool it, it will usually run quite happily without reducing the lifetime of the CPU. RAM is different in my experience. I've killed RAM with over-volting and extreme temperatures.
Cheers matey
I think my mobo is under volting thats all, the low load temps are a decent indicator although my Water cooling helps.

Man of Honour
pegasus1 said:
You mean it hasnt exploded in 12 months :D

Mine were read from Asus Probe 2

No, i mean its a very good PSU and i won't be changing it .

If you follow the trend of "Hiper slating" without actually using one then thats up to you.

I won't even start to look for other makes of PSU that fail, that is very old history.

Mark

Soldato
OP
mrdbristol said:
No, i mean its a very good PSU and i won't be changing it .

If you follow the trend of "Hiper slating" without actually using one then thats up to you.

I won't even start to look for other makes of PSU that fail, that is very old history.

Mark
I was being sarcastic, should have used this :p instead.
Not a PSU basher mate.

Man of Honour
pegasus1 said:
I was being sarcastic, should have used this :p instead.
Not a PSU basher mate.

My apologies , nothing personal, just kinda get fed up with people who trash an entire brand of equipment ( due to a small percentage of failures,which are covered by guarentee ) on a few examples.

Their was an Enermax , in a recent post , that blew/failed but you don't see me posting about it............er, doh :D

Cheers,

Mark

Back
Top Bottom