Mongol Rally

Associate
This summer I am a member of a team taking part in the Mongol rally Woo!

For the uninitiated its a rally consisting of many teams driving to Ulanbataar in a car with less than a 1 litre engine and which is generally deemed to be rubbish ("I wouldn't trust that car to take me to the shops!"). Last night we bought our car a VW polo for £65! Needs quite a bit of work but we have a few friends who can do these things cheaply. All in all our car will have cost us under £150.

We hope to raise a significant amount of money for the official rally charity:

Mercy Corps Mongolia is a charity which supports rural communities to meet their economic and social needs, helping individuals, families and communities to become more self-sufficient, diversified in their production, and better linked to local, regional and national markets. Over the past five years Mercy Corps Mongolia has established a strong reputation across the vast Gobi region, and continues to work with business associations and local organizations to ensure a robust economy that preserves ancient traditions.

We also wish to raise a substantial amount for our own choice of charity:

The Army Benevolent Fund. Having all known at least one person who has died recently in Afghanistan and all being lined up for careers as a British Army Officer it is of particular importance to us all that we raise a good sum of money for this worthy cause.

Anyway I'm not here to get people to donate (if you want to though...http://www.justgiving.com/mongolrallymercycorps07 any donation to either cause is a fantastic effort on your part. Thank you).

We cant wait to set off on our adventure. None of us are particularly competent with cars so we've got a lot to learn...on top of finishing our degrees in the next 2 months!

Anyone done the rally before? Sounds like an adventure though doesn't it :).

www.mongolbeavers.co.uk
www.mongolrally.com

Associate
OP
Haha unfortunately not we have to take a massive amount of stuff with us to get us through the 8000 miles or so.

We aren't sure of our route yet either. The choices are:

Ukraine/Russia/Kazhakstan/Mongolia
Turkey/Georgia/Checyna/Azerbaijan/the Stans
Turkey/Armenia/Azerbaijan/the stans

Or...Iran, somehow i think we shall be avoiding that one. At the moment we think we shall go the Ukraine route as its got some good things to see on the way. We want to go to Chernobyl/Kiev etc. Some amazing sights which ever route we go though to be honest :).

Associate
kazakhstan isnt renouned for its road quality. certainly something to be careful of.

been there. trust me :)

edit:

how rude of me. bloomin good luck to you!!

Associate
Was gonna do this this year, but both my co-driver and I have ended up with babies instead.

Truely envious of you, and wish you luck. What motor you choosing - plan early and rebuild it before you go.

Edit: Avoid Russia at all costs, border poilice/police will rob you blind! Horrificly corrupt.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Unfortunatly all of us having Army numbers i dont really want to drive through either. I think we shall end up going the Ukraine route. Or Armenia / Azerbaijan.

Associate
OP
messiah khan said:
Armenia used to be a very unstable place, but has become much better in later years. Its certainly a place I would love to visit.

Has armenia calmed down lots then? I heard they occupied 16% of Azerbaijan so border crossing can be an issue.

Associate
OP
OCdt Stringy said:
Oh god, you're not members of a drinking club with an Army problem are you?

Haha. Indeed :). Are you sure your walking in the correct manner? (Your a crab if i remember correctly).

Last edited:
Soldato
weeble said:
Edit: Avoid Russia at all costs, border poilice/police will rob you blind! Horrificly corrupt.

Quoted for truth.

My dad drove back from mongolia a couple of years ago, had to pay the russians thousands and had an armed guard with them all the time they were in russia (so they couldn't sell the car).

Does the car take unleaded petrol? Just that you might have trouble getting unleaded some places. Dad just put leaded in his freelander, expecting to have to replace the cat converter when he got back, but it was fine after having driven a good few thousand K on just leaded petrol. Passed the road-worthiness tests no problem apparently.

GOOD LUCK & HAVE FUN!

Associate
OP
It's a little difficult to avoid Russia as we will have to drive around the Altai mountains. Either way there's plenty beurocracy in all of these ex eastern block countries.

Soldato
Hugogo said:
Has armenia calmed down lots then? I heard they occupied 16% of Azerbaijan so border crossing can be an issue.

Form what ive heard yes. I recently read an article about the slowly increasing tourist trade there, so it can't be too bad. AFAIK Armenia and Azerbaijan send a bullet or two each others direction now and then, but as long as you don't go sightseeing in no-mans land you should be ok.

Soldato
A couple of years ago my brother did the first of the Plymouth - Dakar events, this was in a car bought for £100 and you couldn't spend more than £100 on it either. When they ran it there was minimal roads etc. and it sounded like great fun. Now the Plymouth - Dakar basicaly just runs on roads because they've now finished building them.

This MongolRally looks cool though, you'll have to make sure there are many post of pictures/videos from it. :)

It's a car rally in the true sense of how they used to be, no stages, just one nice long trip in something that's going to break loads :D

InvG

Back
Top Bottom