Iran captures British Sailors

Caporegime
The men were seized when they boarded a boat in the north Arabian Gulf, off the coast of Iraq, which they suspected was smuggling cars.

There was a news article about this sort of smuggling recently. IIRC a load of Shia Iraqi's and Iranians posing as Iraqi's would get loads of reconstruction money from allied forces then smuggle it out to Iran to pay for who knows what.

Permabanned
WoZZeR said:
Didn't a similar thing happen a few years back?

Yeah your right, I can't remember the details but it all was resolved without the next war starting!

On second thought unleash the SBS, seems a shame to spend all the taxpayers money on training for them not to use it !!!!!

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Slinwagh said:
Yeah your right, I can't remember the details but it all was resolved without the next war starting!

On second thought unleash the SBS, seems a shame to spend all the taxpayers money on training for them not to use it !!!!!

A few years ago we did not seem to be looking for an excuse to go to war with them, no that they have resumed nuclear technologies and missile technologies we seem to be a lot keener politcally for a war with them.
Actions like this are at best a serious provocation, at worst the excuse we were looking for.

Man of Honour
platypus said:
Lets hope not :(

Are we really that keen to go to war with Iran, or just support America's goals?

We (the people) aren't keen to go to war with Iran, the powers that be, on both sides of the pond, may not have the same reservations that we have.

The people only want war when they are threatened, governments want war to further political aims.

Associate
If they were to kill them it would pretty much be an act of war.

And I highly doubt Iran wants to start a war with the west over 15 sailors.

All will be resolved...

Permabanned
OP
platypus said:
Lets hope not :(

Are we really that keen to go to war with Iran, or just support America's goals?

We as in the general public don't want a war with anyone (except maybe the french).
Our political leaders seem to view Iran as the next biggest evil on the planet.
Their refusal to do as they are told with nuclear technology, their alleged links to Al Q, the rumours that they are supplying Iraqi insurgents, the recent missile tests that put them close to a full on ICBM and so on all contribute to that view.
If I was viewed as the next biggest threat to global peace I'd be tooling up as well. I think Iran is an inevitability for a war unless they suddenly change political direction and cosy up to the states. Their current goal seems to be full nuclear weapons capability asap as a method of ensuring that they don't get hit. Sadly that seems to make it more likely that they will get hit, quite a gamble.
Imho they are banking on the Iraq/Afghanistan situation keeping political will for war low in the US/UK and also on keeping forces tied up. Little wonder that aiding Iraqi insurgents could be of benefit to them.

Associate
I would like to wait for more information to come thru. Given the increasing tensions, I highly doubt the Iranian soldiers or other official representatives of the Iranian government in some capacity would do something like this without damn good justification that can be backed up by international law.

If it turns out they are acting illegally, in a hostile manner or could in some way be construed as acting without good justification (from their perspective, which will be understood and tolerated); this could very well be the excuse certain parts of our own and America's powers that be are itching for. If the suspicion of WMD development is not enough already.

Permabanned
OP
PlatinumFX said:
I would like to wait for more information to come thru. Given the increasing tensions, I highly doubt the Iranian soldiers or other official representatives of the Iranian government in some capacity would do something like this without damn good justification that can be backed up by international law.
My guess is these sailors will be accused of spying on Iranian installations.
You might recall some plane spotters suffered the same fate in Greece at an airshow.

Back
Top Bottom