Structural engineering

Associate
Hello

I have been lurking for a while, and I decided to join as this seems to be a pretty cool place, and there are smart people here.

On to my question...

Are there any Structural engineers here who can tell me about their job? All aspects of it would be useful, how you found it at Uni, salary, prospects, pretty much anything to do with it would be useful.

John

:)

Associate
I guess im training to become a structural engineer, after finishing my degree i got a graduate position with a medium-small local consultancy. We do a lot of design work on housing extensions, property development and small scale insdustrial works.

At uni i did a 4 year honours course in civil engineering which covers a wide range of engineering, surveying, geotechnical and management studies. Dont think for once it will be an easy ride, its a full time course so expect at the most 9-5 lecturers 5days a week. I found design and surveying easily my favoured categories as i was quite comfortable with maths to begin with. The management studies really put me of as its not quite my thing. Since starting my graduate position ive learnt about 20x more than i did at uni which can be abit embarrassing but all the engineers say the same that uni only gives you the tools to become an engineer.

Being a structural engineer you can be involved with the aspects of design (number crunching, analysis and investigation). Analysis for quickness and completeness is usually done on computer programs but crap in = crap out so you gotta be aware of what you're pluggin in.

On steel structures such as warehouses like B&Q they can be designed as portal frames which you have to carefully take into consideration the wind from all various accounts ie speed, direction distance from shore and altitude and from there design the frame and bracing.

From an investigation side you can be called out to a site to look at trial pits and get an estimation of the ground you would be building on. Alternatively you can be asked to look at an existing property and do a survey which can be come complicated with previous works to the building or the age of it.

Being a structural engineer does have its downsides, theres days in the summer you can be indoors all day but the flip side of the coin during the winter. Also be prepared for last minute design changes by architects or clients which can be infuriating since they then want them done by yesterday.

Overall it is a good career starting salarys for a graduate from 19,000 to 22,000 and can come with perks like company car. When you become chartered (ICE, IStructE) thats when you earn the better salary but comes with more responsibilties.

Caporegime
Welcome. I structurally engineer stuff. In a..structural..kind of way. With my engineering kit.

As you can tell, I'm not a structural engineer.

Soldato
Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not fully understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly predict in such a fashion that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.

- Dr AR Dykes
British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976.

Soldato
What Ace says sounds about right.

I am doing Civil Engineering with Architecture but my course is more tailored to structural stuff.

Uni course is tough, esp. if u do a MEng. Lots of groupwork (like in real life).

Structural engineering is really wide and you can be woring on anything from a house extension in your local area to a 7* mixed use development in the middle east.

Have got a grad engineer postion starting in Sept in Winchester with a med-large consultant for £23k. Otherwise great work prospects as you have lots of transferable skills.

Have a look at the IstructE website for more information.

Permabanned
I'm a mechanical engineer, I fix cars and do MOTs and stuff like that, it's alright.

A couple of my mates are structural engineers, it's hard work apparently, especially when you get stuck on the brick laying all day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Calder said:
I'm a mechanical engineer, I fix cars and do MOTs and stuff like that, it's alright.

A couple of my mates are structural engineers, it's hard work apparently, especially when you get stuck on the brick laying all day.

isn't that just called a Mechanic?

Soldato
I've just started as a graduate structural engineer for Saipem (Eni), At the moment I have been doing weight and cog analysis of subsea production pipes, as I work mainly with the north sea oil and gas fields, the projects I am involved with at the moment are etterik and snorre (if that means anything to you), I have also just started using a very basic FE program to do analysis of a support structure of a unbilical reel.

I would generally like to use Abaqus or Ansys but you will find you have to use what your given.

I am currently 22 and on a first yr wage of 28k, The prospects with in the company are very good and the people are ok.

I did my degree in Aerospace Engineering.

What are you doing at uni? what are of structural engineering would you like to go into?

KaHn

Soldato
Calder said:

Your not a mechanical engineer lol.

KaHn

Soldato
Calder said:

im doing a mechanical engineering degree and i don't fix cars or do MOT's :p

i can't tell you about structual engineering but im guessing the level of coarse is about the same.

Be prepared to do a lot of work don't worry about how hard it is, if you can meet the entry requirments then im sure you'll be able to do the work.

I wasn't 100% sure id made the right choice at the start of uni but now i love it and actually look forward to learning/working etc cause its interesting.

If i had to change i would choose to do civil engineering

Soldato
I wouldnt suggest doing Structural Engineering at uni, it will limit your job prospects, I would suggest doing mechanical engineering or even maths which aims mainly at engineering.

KaHn

Soldato
Nzyme said:
ansys is so badly written software and abaqus is jsut more work than it needs to be, someone should write a user-friendly FEA package tbh

Your complaining that ansys and abaqus are bad? Are you for real?

KaHn

Soldato
Calder said:

Mechanical Engineers do cool jobs such as work for the Ministry of Defence and design weapons delivary systems that take down whole street blocks! They don't do MOT :p

Soldato
KaHn said:
I wouldnt suggest doing Structural Engineering at uni, it will limit your job prospects, I would suggest doing mechanical engineering or even maths which aims mainly at engineering.

KaHn

i choose mechanical engineer as its like the broadest of the engineering subjects, the daddy if you will.

I think with mechanical engineering you can do all the other engineering but maybe not with the others

Back
Top Bottom