f2.2
iso 200
1/80th

Comments appreciated. :)

Edited to remove some of the yellow :)

Edited again to sharpen it a bit further

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite like the picture, but something is bothering me. I think it's a mixture of two things; the lighting direction, and it may be an illusion but the right side of her face (as you look) is out of focus compared to the left. The two things draw me to focusing on the left half of the image only.

Maybe the DOF was a bit too small?

Associate
I don't know if the crop at the top of the model's head really works? Other than that it doesn't seem too bad!

I think the mustard coloured back-drop gives me the impression that the model's face has a yellow colour cast but I might be wrong. I think I'd have gone for neutral (shadowed) grey back-drop (if I had one of course).

Keep smiling :)

Associate
Nice portrait Joe little bit much of a tilt for me though. I’ve been getting into Portrait photography also, loving every minute of it. I think the models hair could be brushed to stop the stray hairs from floating around the arm, and especially in the top right of the shot. I also find the background a little distracting in colour.

The facial expression on the model has been caught well and i like the sharpness in the eyes.

:)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the comments all. :)

Notes for next time:

1. Get a better background

2. Ensure she brushes her hair

3. Try to have more light, so I can use a aperture greater than f2.2, preferably f2.8 I guess?

Associate
messiah khan said:
An tell her to stop slouching.. she'll get a bad neck sitting at that angle. :p

That angle makes the shot IMO. If she were sat prone with her head held high it would be terrible, Just like a school kid waiting for the headmaster.. ;)

Just need a white background Joe, She looks nice now but would look stunning in the correct light.. :)

Associate
Perhaps try for a shot where the camera is raised slightly above head height and she is looking up into the camera? Though she may need a top on for this shot! :p

I don't really like the yellow background and there are some funny hair shapes in the top right which is abit distracting.

The light is great though and the reflection and sharpness in her eyes makes it for me. I don't really care about the out of focus hair/neck/ear, the main thing is that the eyes are sharp

Back
Top Bottom