Vanilla P5K 0603 + G0 stepping - Strange reversed speedstep problem ??

Soldato
I had this problem when i briefly had an ES G0 stepping but I put the problem own to it being an ES.

I have just bought a retail Q6600 and the problem perstists...

I had to update my Standard P5K bios to 0603 to support the G0 stepping chips but since doing so Im having problems.

When I run prime after about 20 seconds the multiplier will switch from x9 to x6 lowering my clock, its like speedstep in reverse and btw speedstep and C1E are disabled in my bios.

For example...

Here is my rig ready to run prime95.

Now, here it is running after a few seconds.

This happens no matter what speed Im running.

Its fine with my E2160 chip it just happens with my Q6600 G0 :(

Any ideas anyone ?

Soldato
Um thats weird?

Have you tried enabling speedstep to see what happens?

All I can think of is to do a full BIOS reset, maybe even take the battery out.

Other than that you may have to wait for a new BIOS or perhaps swap out the mobo?

prime95loadbugslowediy6at5.jpg

What are all those readings from?

Soldato
OP
Throttling maybe?

Ive tried the new bios and its pretty much the same, i can get to 360 FSB on stock volts, anything over and it changes to x6 when priming.

If it is throttling then surely it cant be temps as they are in the 40's according to TAT , core temp and everest.

Associate
I won't get time to build my PC until next weekend but I'll let you know if I get the same issue . I only really want to run at 3ghz (334 * 9) and you're saying you only have this problem when going over 360FSB ?

Soldato
OP
I won't get time to build my PC until next weekend but I'll let you know if I get the same issue . I only really want to run at 3ghz (334 * 9) and you're saying you only have this problem when going over 360FSB ?

Yeah, i upped my FSB in 30Mhz steps and at 330FSB it primed fine but 360FSB it had the problem. ill try FSB in between to find the FSB where it changes.

str

str

Soldato
Ive tried the new bios and its pretty much the same, i can get to 360 FSB on stock volts, anything over and it changes to x6 when priming.

If it is throttling then surely it cant be temps as they are in the 40's according to TAT , core temp and everest.
If it's throttling TAT will detect it and also the VID will drop in CoreTemp.

Soldato
OP
If it's throttling TAT will detect it and also the VID will drop in CoreTemp.

Yeah, TAT isnt showing any throttling, though it isbehaving like throtting.

clear the cmos settings, and if that doesnt work reflash the bios.

Tried reflashing and clearing cmos with battery out :(

E2160 is still fine, its just G0 q6600's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom