vista h/d spin down prob

Associate
Hi there,
Recently upgraded to vista ultimate 64 but my spare storage drive is spinning up and down like every 10 seconds when its not even being accessed...not all the time but has bouts of say doing it for 10 minutes then stops I need to fix this before it breaks my drive...and its so annoying..the main boot drive is 2x raps in raid 0 the storage drive is a wdaaks 16mb 500gb sata...is there an option under power management or any where else to stop or turn of spin down>?

Associate
OP
no its left on all the time...and its random tbh theres an option in cp/power to turn of h/d spin down but i cant find it...im told its there....thats what i need to find

Associate
OP
thanks james....cudent see the never option coz i never set the minutes to 0 but when i did that the "never" option appeared...hopefully that will stop it from spinning up/down...have to wait and see... theres only 1 setting for all drives then not individual settings?

Associate
Change to "0" or "Never"?

Does this mean the HDD never spins down at all - I imagine that might be better than spinning up and down all the time but still far from ideal?

Associate
OP
once you change the value to 0 and apply... check back the the never option is there select that job done..keeps your drives spinning all time dont have them spin up and down

Soldato
I get something similar on my new laptop, even when nothing is running there's disk activity for a second or so every 5 or so seconds. Tried turning a load of things off such as indexing and checked the power scheme but it still does it, it's really bloody annoying.

Associate
Ah, you problem sounds different to just spinning up and down? Is your disk is continually "thrashing"? If so, turn off "System Restore" points and it should be OK after a reboot. I've been able to re-enable Indexing without much probelm after this.

I forget where to find System Restore turn on/off, but google it and you'll see if you can't find it.

In the unlikely event this doesn't work ... disable and set to manual "Superfetch" as well.

Back
Top Bottom