• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What does this mean ? (8800GT - Freeze)

Ogs

Ogs

Associate
Ive had this problem since getting my 8800GT.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b128/BoozerDawg/DSC00471.jpg

Sometimes, randomly, the game will just freeze with all that crap over the screen (sometimes blue, sometimes red, sometimes it will just freeze), and then my monitor would go into standy about 20 seconds later, thus needing a reset.

Im a bit stumped at what the problem is, is my card overheating ? Is it crappy drivers for the 8800GT (working out the new G92 kinks ?) ? I dont think this ever happened once during my entire playing of COD4, but in Crysis, Gears of War and UT3 ive had this happen.

I really really hope its just drivers, as i cant be bothered with having to return this (they probly wont have stock for ages to replace it with). Ive searched around on Google and others seem to have this problem.

How hot should this card get ?

Extra question - My 6000+ (brand new) gets very loud, is this normal with the supplied heatsink+fan ?

VoG

VoG

Soldato
check the temps & slap a fan over it if it's getting too toasty. but if it's been doing it since day one then it could well have turned up faulty. mine did the same & got RMA'd, just got the refund thru for it today.

Ogs

Ogs

Associate
OP
I just used nTune to monitor the temps while i had a quick 15 minute bash on Crysis (Running at 1440x900 @ High), and the peak temperature it hit was 95c, bad/good ? I actually found that thread and had a read on it, and people seem to think either 1) Bad Memory or 2) The fan isnt running like its supposed to, so it might have to be an RMA thing. I feel its more a driver thing though, all my UE3 games have done this (i remember i briefly tried BioShock, happened there too), and well........Crysis lol. Ive spent many hours on COD4 and not a single problem happened there.

Soldato
That temp seems above average, a lot of 8800gt owners do get 90c and they are rated to run that hot. The problem on the Evga forum seemed to be with the overclocked cards particularly and the memory getting too hot.

Back
Top Bottom