problem ~ish ?!

Soldato
just built this pc / one I'm using now.

generaly ok but not right.

problems as follows.

no cpu fan output
doesn't boot first time - turn on i get the usual noises and lights but no screen (also cpu heatsink fan races / its pluged into sys fan 1)then i reset and turn on again same noises & lights fan slows and screen appears off I go, sometimes with a windows failed to start message / start as normal

clearly something is amiss.

pc is as follows:
q6600/stock cooler for now
gigabyte ds3r
2gig ballistix 5300
8800GTS 512 / the new one.
samsung 500gig sata2 hdd
pioneer dvdrw
epsilon 700w psu.
stuffed into a coolermaster dominator case.

first thing that I think is mobo isn't right as no cpu fan - on power up it twitches once but no more.
I got it off the MM previous owner was on water - is there a setting that blind me has missed? - I have enabled and disabled cpu fan fail & temp warning in bios but no change - and loaded fail safe defaults.

the only other thing I was thinking of is the gfx as the new gts is PCI express 2.0 and the ds3r isn't - but wouldn't that just not work at all? when it is going it all seems to operate as normal, making me think it isn't the problem?

the bios on the ds3r is f2 so I'll try the newest one.

what you think?

Associate
yes it does, if the header on the mobo for the cpu fan is a 4 pin, and the cable for the heat sync is 3 pin. you simply miss off one of the pins on the header.

As you may already see the plasic locating tab is ofset to one side, thats where it connects.

Dont deny it, just try it!!!

Associate
mobo.jpg

Soldato
thanks - I know were it is, it's been pluged in there, it doesn't work / has no output ;)

When first installed and before you've setup the bios to stop it happening the CPU fan header is controlled by EIST and as such if the CPU is considered cold by the thermal circuitry the fan may not spin. This is by design and is also mentioned in the manual from memory. Leave it on for a while and the CPU will warm up and the fan should start. Turn off the auto fan control in the BIOS and the fan should spin all the time.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
cheers
I've flashed to F10 now, and HSF is on the CPU fan and working.
The issue seems to be more that I need to reset to get it going - I'll have a look and play with the auto fan control and see what happens.

Associate
Hi guys

I'm the bloke who sold Dead Dog the mobo.Worked fine when I was using it and clocked well.I'm not sure what the problem is tbh.

I'm guessing you've had a good play around with the bios settings from the looks of your last email.

Not to sure what to suggest tbh.

Could the bios battery cause this?Long show as the mobo is less than 7 months old.

Mobo was running at 400x8 since end of september with the Q6600 and before that was running a 6300 @ 3.25 465x7 with no problems.

The only time the mobo would do something similar like this is when you push it to far (aka me trying to hit 4Ghz=/)
Try increasing the FSB a bit.2.8Ghz on stock volts and cooling should be easy for that chip and see if it boots normally or does the same thing.

Again keep me updated.

Soldato
OP
today I've had some time to try to sort it, I've changed ram slots, ram, cpu, gfx & psu one at a time, made sure I've got the latest drivers and still does it - I've just comleted an RMA form.

Back
Top Bottom