Mass Effect Requires Online Validation Every Ten Days to Function

Associate
Well it seems like a new way of doing things, can't see it going down very well! Just saw the following over on the official forums:

If you buy MEPC, install and run the game the game will register automatically and you are good to play.

After 5 days the next time you start the game the system will automatically try to register. If you are connected to the internet, it will occur without you even knowing it and reset the 10 days.

If you are not connected to the internet, you can keep playing for the next 5 days. As you start each day, the system will keep trying to validate. If it connects and validates, the "clock" is reset.

If the system cannot connect to the internet after the 10 days, you will not be able to play MEPC until you are connected to the internet. Once you reconnect to the internet and try to play, it will re-validate and you can play as normal for another period of 10 days as before.

So it is not "at 10 days and if the servers aren't working you're screwed". There is a large window (5days) where the system automatically tries to re-validate to prevent last minute problems.

Soldato
Sounds like a Bioshock effort.

Have this lame security feature (that pirates won't have to do) then after a few months and sales have slowed they'll remove it in a patch.

Associate
I'm all for it if it reduces piracy and encourages developers to create more PC-exclusive games. Something has to be done and it seems online validation is the only way forward.

Soldato
I'm all for it if it reduces piracy and encourages developers to create more PC-exclusive games. Something has to be done and it seems online validation is the only way forward.

If they implement a system like this it will just drive people away from PC gaming. If this system makes it to the final release they can guarentee one less sale from myself, thats complete madness.

I'm all for reducing piracy but forcing you to activate every 10 days is not the answer.

Permabanned

Online validation doesn't really do anything though, when you download a PC game chances are you need to have a crack for it to run without the CD, this is exactly the same thing pretty much except it'll be a crack to bypass the validation and launch the game.

Associate
If they implement a system like this it will just drive people away from PC gaming. If this system makes it to the final release they can guarentee one less sale from myself, thats complete madness.

I'm all for reducing piracy but forcing you to activate every 10 days is not the answer.

Why would it, whats the big deal? Chances are that if you are connected to the internet, like 99% of people are, you won't even notice. It'll just be like a auto-update thing. Not buying it because of this is pretty silly IMO, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hopefully the effort of messing about with downloading and cracking and getting the game running will put people off stealing it anyway. The harder it is to do, the less people will bother.

Soldato
Sounds like a very good idea to me. Its about time they started to deter piracy as its getting out of control & I would much rather have a system like this than expensive hardware & no games to play on it (which is the way it is heading right now).

Only people who are not going to like it are the pirates, everyone else who buys PC games should have no issues with it.

Permabanned
Only people who are not going to like it are the pirates

Makes no difference...instead of just a no-cd crack it will be a validation + no-cd crack.

Crackers won't like it as it's a bit of figuring out, but BioShock was cracked very fast, day of release I believe...

Soldato
Why would it, whats the big deal? Chances are that if you are connected to the internet, like 99% of people are, you won't even notice. It'll just be like a auto-update thing. Not buying it because of this is pretty silly IMO, cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hopefully the effort of messing about with downloading and cracking and getting the game running will put people off stealing it anyway. The harder it is to do, the less people will bother.

Tell that to all the people who had problems with bioshock, i never but quite a few did and this willn't stop people pirating it really, all it will do is stop some people buying it.

Soldato
Crackers won't like it as it's a bit of figuring out
Are you kidding? Crackers love when they come up with a new system like this! They love the challenge that comes with cracking a new system, and even more so they love the "internet cred" that comes with being one of the first groups to succeed.

This is useless because: -

a.) It will not bother crackers.
b.) It will not bother pirates, who will just get the crack from crackers.
c.) Once again this is going to affect only the legitimate buyers, encouraging piracy.

If this system is in place I'm no doubt going to crack my retail copy. This means two things; a.) I might as well have pirated it in the first place and b.) all the money they spent on this protection went down the bog.

The only reason I'm not pirating this title is because I've waited so long for a PC port, already have the 360 version.

Last edited:
Soldato
Makes no difference...instead of just a no-cd crack it will be a validation + no-cd crack.

Crackers won't like it as it's a bit of figuring out, but BioShock was cracked very fast, day of release I believe...
They will get bored of having to crack it every 10 days I would think!

Permabanned
Are you kidding? Crackers love when they come up with a new system like this! They love the challenge that comes with cracking a new system, and even more so they love the "internet cred" that comes with being one of the first groups to succeed.

Fair does. :p
They will get bored of having to crack it every 10 days I would think!
They will have that system cracked and disabled as soon as the game comes out!

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato

Not so. A bioshock crack took week or so after the first scene release.

It shouldn't take them long to just whip something up though, either a straight bypass or a hacked server or something, capture traffic from the exe going to and from the server, analyze, build something that simulates it. Depends quite how the validation system works though. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom