• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Speedstep Question

Associate
I am new to owning an Intel, and was a little confused when i saw my CPU Multiplier jumping around in CPU-z, and later found out this was Speedstep adjusting it.

Just wondering what peoples opinions on it are? Is it worth keeping on, is there much of a delay between when you need the extra Hz and when it applies it etc? And basically should i keep it on or off on an overclocked Q6600?

Cheers for any help

Soldato
I have my Q6600 @3.6ghz with speedstep disabled.

between the time you need extra mhz its a nanosecond thing, you wouldnt notice it.

i have been told when you overclock to disable it from people over at extreme systems.
as it tends to give instability when your clocking ;P

if your running stock then yes its a good idea to have it enabled + it cuts the powerusage and high electric bills :p
you wouldnt notice the speed switching its something like a nanosecond :D

if your overclocking then enable it and if you dont like it or it causes instablity then you know what to do, disable it ;)

Associate
On my board I can safely use C1E at my current overclock. Only the multi changes (6-9) probably not much of a power saving, but every little helps ;) EIST seems to have been auto dissabled by the board so its not an option for me when overclocked.

Soldato
I have my Q6600 @3.6ghz with speedstep disabled.

between the time you need extra mhz its a nanosecond thing, you wouldnt notice it.

i have been told when you overclock to disable it from people over at extreme systems.
as it tends to give instability when your clocking ;P

if your running stock then yes its a good idea to have it enabled + it cuts the powerusage and high electric bills :p
you wouldnt notice the speed switching its something like a nanosecond :D

if your overclocking then enable it and if you dont like it or it causes instablity then you know what to do, disable it ;)

Speed step only affects overclocking, if the CPU cannot run at the speedstep's reduced voltage. On the whole, as the reduced voltages are only applied when the CPU's running at reduced speed, everything remains stable. I overclock, and still have speedstep enabled. It does wonders for idle temps and has no impact on my systems stability.

IMHO only disable speedstep if your certain its causing system crashes. If the system is stable with speedstep enabled, then its doing more good than harm.

Man of Honour
Just wondering what peoples opinions on it are? Is it worth keeping on, is there much of a delay between when you need the extra Hz and when it applies it etc? And basically should i keep it on or off on an overclocked Q6600?
Keep it on... keep it on... keep it on... keep it on...

Associate
This thread came at just the right time. I was just about to ask the same question. :)
Got my Q6600 up to 3.5GHz with all the speedstep settings disabled. Was wondering if I should turn it back on when everything is stable. I wasn't too worried about the multiplier dropping but was a bit worried about the voltage that gets set when at idle. Anyone know how this is worked out? Is it just a % of the load voltage?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies, having this Speedstep and the EPU6 engine on my P5Q-E it gets quite confusing as theyre all constantly changing voltages and multipliers! Good in the long run though i guess

Soldato
This thread came at just the right time. I was just about to ask the same question. :)
Got my Q6600 up to 3.5GHz with all the speedstep settings disabled. Was wondering if I should turn it back on when everything is stable. I wasn't too worried about the multiplier dropping but was a bit worried about the voltage that gets set when at idle. Anyone know how this is worked out? Is it just a % of the load voltage?

I think it will drop the voltage by around 10-15%, but it will also switch the multi on the chip to 6, so your 3.5ghz clock would drop to 2.33ghz. Odds are as long as the voltage during speed step is > 1.15V it would still be stable at your clock. But the only way to find out, is try it. Dont bother priming after, as all that will do is load up the cores and up the volts. Just use the computer as normal, as its only liable to crash when lightly loaded, and imho it wont crash anyway.

Associate
I think it will drop the voltage by around 10-15%, but it will also switch the multi on the chip to 6, so your 3.5ghz clock would drop to 2.33ghz. Odds are as long as the voltage during speed step is > 1.15V it would still be stable at your clock. But the only way to find out, is try it. Dont bother priming after, as all that will do is load up the cores and up the volts. Just use the computer as normal, as its only liable to crash when lightly loaded, and imho it wont crash anyway.

Seems to be running ok so far with speedstep turned on. Managed 3.6Ghz which drops to 2.4 when the multi drops. Also keeps the temps just above room temp when idle.

Associate
Well run all my clocks with it on makes on seems to make no difference on Asus boards

Speed step only affects overclocking, if the CPU cannot run at the speedstep's reduced voltage. On the whole, as the reduced voltages are only applied when the CPU's running at reduced speed, everything remains stable. I overclock, and still have speedstep enabled. It does wonders for idle temps and has no impact on my systems stability.

IMHO only disable speedstep if your certain its causing system crashes. If the system is stable with speedstep enabled, then its doing more good than harm.

The reason ASUS boards are stable with speedstep enabled.
In the earlier days when system instbility was first being reported during overclocking. ASUS modified their BIOS`s to not drop the core voltage when speedstep kicked in, if the system was not running stock.
So if you are overclocked on an ASUS board, when speed step kicks in it only alters the multiplier.
I cant vouch whether other venders have followed suit not having owned anything else other than ASUS boards.

Associate
So if you are overclocked on an ASUS board, when speed step kicks in it only alters the multiplier.
I cant vouch whether other venders have followed suit not having owned anything else other than ASUS boards.

Would go along with that, I notice on Gigabyte boards that the voltage does drop on idle when speedstep is enabled.

Associate
voltage doesnt drop on my Gigabyte board, not a high clock (Havent looked at default). All speedstep options on in bios, but eist gets auto dissabled (everest shows Supported,Dissabled). so only multi changes.

Soldato

Confirmed, P5Q Deluxe only alters the multiplier when CPU is overclocked via the FSB and voltage manually set.

Exception: when overclocking with just the multiplier on my extreme chip, stock FSB, the board does reduce both vcore and multiplier.

What I haven't tried - is to try different northbridge strap settings. Perhaps a 266FSB CPU, with FSB at 333 and Northbridge strap at 333, maybe that is enough to fool it into thinking the CPU is as "stock"

Associate
Exception: when overclocking with just the multiplier on my extreme chip, stock FSB, the board does reduce both vcore and multiplier.

If you think about it there is no need to. When speedsteps kicks in and drops the multi to the minimum its effectively putting the cpu back to stock during the speedstep state. so it can safely run at the lower voltage.

( Just me thinking out loud) What would be a nice inclusion from ASUS for the more power saving concious of us. Rather than having a fixed full core voltage all the time, the ability to set core voltage during the speedstep state would be good.

Back
Top Bottom