January Transfer Window Thread - rumours and signings here

Man of Honour
£6million wonder kid linked with Arsenal
20:53 October, 27, 2008
Arsenal Football Club are being linked with a January move for Fabian Delph.

The 18-year-old Leeds United kid has been described as one of the most exciting talents outside of the Premier League, and Arsene Wenger has been monitoring his form this season.

Delph has won recognition at international level with the England Under-19 squad, and he is being tipped to gain a call-up to Stuart Pearce's Under-21 pool before the end of the campaign.

By this time the midfielder could well be on the payroll at the Emirates Stadium, with reports at the weekend suggesting Wenger will pay as much as £6million to land the youngster.

No surprise really. It's going to prove very difficult for us to keep hold of him. If someone comes in with anything like £6m I think he'll go.

Caporegime
I think he would be mad to stay at leeds tbh.

Anyway, I think Bristol Rovers wonder striker (ricky lambert) might be a sought after player for a championship team or maybe even a low level premiership team!

Man of Honour
OP
Mad to stay? Having seen Walcott move from Southampton to Arsenal and do nothing for a couple of seasons I think good counsel might be to stay for another year and a half and then look to moving.

No point moving mid-season, nothing much will happen. Perhaps at the end of the season but he's still not going to be in the first team at a club like Arsenal straight away.

He's been linked with Stoke, WBA, Wolves and the like. He'd be absolutely mental going somewhere like that. If he moves it really has to be to better himself.

Caporegime
Walcot might not have done much in the first team for a while, but that doesnt mean he didnt progress at the gunners. This lad would be similar i'm sure, but could also hit the big time when he gets his chance :]

Soldato
Mad to stay? Having seen Walcott move from Southampton to Arsenal and do nothing for a couple of seasons I think good counsel might be to stay for another year and a half and then look to moving.

No point moving mid-season, nothing much will happen. Perhaps at the end of the season but he's still not going to be in the first team at a club like Arsenal straight away.

He's been linked with Stoke, WBA, Wolves and the like. He'd be absolutely mental going somewhere like that. If he moves it really has to be to better himself.

Then again look at Ramsey, he's only been at Arsenal a few weeks and he notched up a CL goal last week, and Ramsey is only 17.

EDIT - Also he's apparently very close to the full Welsh national side now, something I doubt would have progressed as fast if he'd have stayed at Cardiff. I think scoring away vs Fenerbahce and national team experience more than make the move worthwhile.

Last edited:
Don
Yeah me and my brother in law are never happy when Delph scores or has a great game (every game!) as the interest just grows and grows :(

Shame, luckily we have some outstanding center midfielders to cover when he does leave. 6m for a League 1 side is a very good fee although it will treble the minute he leaves to a Prem side. I'd be happy for him to go to Arsenal though, not bloody Spurs.

Caporegime
The difference is Walcott IS tiny, is incredibly inconsistant and is still a long way from being proper first team material. Frankly if our injury list wasn't so ridiculous he wouldn't have seen that much action yet either. he's still very frequently muscled out of games, his best games are against very slow defences, even then he very much goes in and out of games and has only put in 2-3 influencial performances this year with the England game included.

Ramsey is completely different, he arrived at Arsenal big enough, strong enough and with the right attitude/style for the team to slip right in. PRetty much every time he's played he's been noticable from start to finish and is influencial, lots of assists already in his games and in general looks a million miles further ahead than where Walcott was when he joined.

Who is Delph though, rarely is there much hype around a defensive midfielder, if we're buying another attacking midfielder I might well stab Wenger. Fabregas won't be displaced from the team ever, we've got Diaby, Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshire, Eboue, Denilson, Nasri, RVP plays on the wing in several games, Eduardo plays wing, Vela. Those are all frankly first team quality players, buying attacking midfielders by the bucket load and completely ignoring defence is how Spurs got in such trouble.

Don
Delph isn't really defensive, more attacking. Scored two peaches at the weekend.

He's only really come onto the scene this season so Premiership clubs will be taking a chance with him and most people won't even know who he is. Best would be to buy him then loan him back to us for two years.

Don
Don't expect to see much if any transfer activity at Liverpool but expect Tottenham and Man City to see quite a few changes.

There's an outside chance that we may sign Heskey if the fee's small enough, if not then i certainly wouldn't be suprised if he signs on a bosman for the summer.

Don
There's an outside chance that we may sign Heskey if the fee's small enough, if not then i certainly wouldn't be suprised if he signs on a bosman for the summer.

Don't Liverpool learn, you don't see Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea buying these kind of players that look good in their poor teams, Heskey, he's done good for England but still looks like a donkey, he can follow in the footsteps of failures at Pool, Keane, Pennant, Bellamy, look great in mediocre sides, look awful in top 4 sides.

Don
Don't Liverpool learn, you don't see Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea buying these kind of players that look good in their poor teams, Heskey, he's done good for England but still looks like a donkey, he can follow in the footsteps of failures at Pool, Keane, Pennant, Bellamy, look great in mediocre sides, look awful in top 4 sides.

I don't see signing him as too big an issue. He'll be on a free transfer, we're short of a striker (and cash) and will give us a different option up front. It wouldn't be like he's going to be a regular.

I'm sure Keane will do ok too btw.

Soldato
I reckon Zaki would get a sackful of goals at a top club, think he's contracted till the end of the season on loan with Wigan though. If he continues his form I'd expect a rush to grab his signature from a few teams.

Don
I don't see signing him as too big an issue. He'll be on a free transfer, we're short of a striker (and cash) and will give us a different option up front. It wouldn't be like he's going to be a regular.

I'm sure Keane will do ok too btw.

I like Keane, he just looks out of his depth at Liverpool, maybe because it's a bigger club or he's low on confidence, something isn't right.

Man U have subs like Tevez, Nani. Liverpool will have Heskey, Pennant. You'll never win the league with a squad like that. In my opinion :)

Soldato
Arsenal need to buy a midfielder and I'm quite sure they will. The current Arsenal team is only 2 players away (possibly 3) from being as good as Chelsea/Man Utd.

Back
Top Bottom