Anyone been to Malta?

Commissario
I remember going a long time ago when I was about 14 and can't remember where we stayed or anything.
So for those that have been, where's the good places to stay? I know you travel everywhere on those rickety old yellow buses which are great, and I vaguely remember Valetta being a very interesting town.

Any info and links to hotel websites/travel sites would be appreciated :)

Commissario
OP
Thanks for the info guys.

There's 4 of us (2 couples) planning on going in early September and decided we want to go to Malta. Been browsing some holiday sites now :)

Soldato
Stayed in gozo a few years ago. It's pretty small and the whole island smells, but it's not too bad. Went to Malta for a day but only went to Valetta I think. also to get to gozo at the start and end we took the helicopter from Malta :cool:

Each of the towns on Gozo has a saints day and on they have a fireworks display which can be pretty impressive (if slightly risky for the people standing too close :D) They actually have a fireworks factory on gozo since they use so many

Soldato
Is there much to do in Malta 'culturally'? Myself and the girlfriend are thinking of going for a short break somewhere at the beginning of Feb and were looking at the usual.. Prague, Budapest, Bruges, Sofia etc.. but Malta popped up too. Obviously it's more of a summer holiday place though!

Soldato
We stayed in Bugibba. The weather was fantastic (very hot) - but I don't think the selection of restaurants, the service or the amount of stuff to do/places to go amounted to much. To be fair, it is a VERY small island though - which probably explains why there isn't much there.
Also, the driving is very harsh (crazy is one way to put it) and the selection of food on offer might not be up to your expectations.

The beaches were very good however. Just wouldn't be tempted to go back for the money.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Dad's Maltese.

We go there once every two years.

The driving can be ridiculous (like it was in Italy) but its a small population. There's not really loads to do I guess (all depends what you make of it), but the restaurants are good and everyone speaks English (second language).

Soldato
We went summer '08.

Stayed 4 days in a Hotel in Valleta on the Castille Square, cunningly called the Castille Hotel.
Then we went and stayed a week in a Villa (well a converted farmhouse) on Gozo, in Munxar on the way to Xlendi. http://www.gozovillas.com/ (http://www.gozovillas.com/santamaria/index.asp was the exact one).

Met my Maltese uncle while we were there and some of the family while we were there, and there was quite a bit of other touristy stuff to do too.

Re the festivals and fireworks: We were there over the Santa Maria festival. They are obsessed with fireworks/cannons, and the silly foreigners haven't learnt that they look better when you wait for it to be dark! :p

Reckon I'd like to revisit :)

Last edited:
Associate
Me and g/f went for a week last May. Stayed in Sliema/Gzira.

Plenty of forts around the island, along with some of the worlds oldest structures (the ones on Gozo are the best). Valletta is a nice little place.

Sliema also has the coolest TGI Fridays, located in an old gun battery.

Associate
Malta is a very religious island, expect to visit a lot of cathedrals, old castles etc...narrow side streets in valleta, old english buses, post boxes, big bum take away in buggiba, ...

Hmm saying all that, i went 21 years ago!

One thing i do remember clearly was that is was fricking HOT!

Associate
My family's maltese.
Went there last year in October. Was around the 20 degree mark so pretty nice.

St Julians is the place to be if you like clubbing etc.
I stayed in Sliema which is in a good position between Valletta and St Julians.

Very small island and has the population which is not that much bigger than Cardiff.
Also its good to go to Gozo to see the other island. Much less populated and built up.

I say a week is a good amount to stay for. Enough to see most things but not too much to start to bore you.
Most people speak English and the bus service is pretty good. Just don't expect it to be anything like you have seen in the UK. :p

Soldato
I went for a week last september with the (ex) missus, stayed in bugibba.

Buses are probably the most awesome thing i have ever seen :D

Plenty of places to eat and drink around Bugibba, St Julians if you fancy clubbing, Silema and Medina are great places to visit during the day if you would like to see some cultural parts of the island.

Can always book a cruise as well and head over to the other islands as well.

Had a great time myself, was a nice holiday on the cheap for me :)

Back
Top Bottom