New PSU needed

• Thread starter Thread starter Ole
  • Start date Start date

Ole

Ole

Associate
The fan on my PSU has gone and my PC is not always starting up at first press of the button, plus there is a worrying smell coming out it so i do believe it is time for new PSU!

The PSU i have now came with the case:

Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Case - 450W Smart Power PSU

Here are my other components:

OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
Abit IP35 Pro (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 "Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2G8004GK)
Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103UJ)

I am assuming that even though the PSU came with the case I am going to be able to whip it out now problems, so what I am looking for is a recommendation as to what I should replace it with. I don't want to spend more than I need to, but I don't mind paying for decent components.

Any suggestions?

Have a look at the Corsair 450w PSU.
I'm running the 520w & 620w versions without any problems.

Also a fan of the Corsair PSU's, liking the TX 650W on special offer at OCUK

Wow that does looks like a nice offer, thanks for the tip.

Do I need 650W?

Also, are they noisy?

You won't really need 650W but i would go for that personally.

I have always found the Corsair PSU's are fairly quiet, there is a site that you can add up the wattage you will need. I'll try and track it down for you shortly.

I'd go for the 650W personally even if you don't need the power as it will be quieter in normal use..

Do I need 650W?
400W would be well enough even for most PCs used for gaming.
And consider yourself as very lucky because that SmartBomb hasn't exploded yet. Fuhjyyu caps of those PSUs are very failure prone... and sounds exactly like some component is already on "homestretch".
(open that PSU and you'll probably see bulging caps)

No it won't.
That's Extremely inconsistent BS(U) Calculator. Already type of ads should ring a bell about where their interests lies.
(would you trust to review of car in magazine sponsored by that car maker?)

This is only consistently realistic results giving calculator:
http://web.aanet.com.au/SnooP/psucalc.php

well worth the money, awesome build quality.!

decided on what your getting yet.?

I think I am going to go for the 450W.

Will it definitely fit in my case? I am guessing these things are a standard size but just thought i'd check.

Thanks for all the help guys.

All PSUs manufacturers have failures, I expect we hear about a few more of Corsairs on here as they are so popular.

Personally, I'd go with a Enermax even though I own lots of Corsair supplies. They are a bit more expensive, £59 for a 425W Enermax PRO82+ vs £51 for a Corsair VX450w but worth the extra I think.

Recently Enermax PSUs have been rated very quiet: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article699-page1.html

I highly suggest you get the PC Power & Cooling PSU's. They're on a single rail. They're very reliable and they're now sold HERE!

Back
Top Bottom