Motivation to do exercise

Soldato
I've seen a few posts around here about loosing weight etc so I thought I'd ask about my own problem.

I need to loose weight, my diet is balanced although not exactly rabbit food. I do tend to waiver a bit too much and get a takeaway or a kebab after a night out, but the food isnt too much of a problem

I need to get the exercise part going, but I just can't motivate myself to do it. I work 9-5 and I spend the day at work thinking "I'm going to go for a jog tonight". But by the time I get home I just can't be bothered and end up spending the night on the sofa.

So how do I get myself motivated? I'm single, have been for 2 years, so that should be enough motivation in itself but apparently not. I suppose the other reason for it are the health benefits, I'm not getting any younger (24 and I'm 5'10, 15 1/2 stone ish).

Please help!

Man of Honour
Personally I bought a treadmill - not sure why but that gets me motivated to do exercise... tho I can't atm coz the person in the room below is moaning about the thudding noise :| gotta fix that.

Maybe get some tunes or an audio book on an mp3 player and get in the habit :D

Soldato
If your're tired when you get home you could either get the self motivation to go outside (do you have a job where you sit down a lot? because it might just be the relaxed state your body is in) or have a power nap then go for a jog.

Soldato
OP
Treadmill or exercise bike is not an option, my flat's a bit "perfectly formed" for that :)

I did consider those mini stepper things, but I was worried about the noise for downstairs too. Audiobooks arent a bad idea though...

Soldato
Find something you enjoy, do you have a friend you can do sports with? Maybe take up tennis/badminton, maybe go jogging with them? Buy a mountain bike.

Start with small steps.

Once you get into the habit of going out you'll find it much easier.

The hardest part is just DOING it, like anything you keep putting off: work, ringing up the boiler repair man, if you don't do it then you'll never get started.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
You've already got the motivation, you just need to stop finding excuses.

Start going to the gym and keep going. Once you've been a few times you'll find it much easier from then on, which should be motivation in itself.

Soldato
OP
If your're tired when you get home you could either get the self motivation to go outside (do you have a job where you sit down a lot? because it might just be the relaxed state your body is in) or have a power nap then go for a jog.

I work in IT, nuff sed :D

Was contemplating going for a walk at lunchtimes as the office is next to a river - I normally just work through. It doesnt feel like it would do much good though

Soldato
At the end of the day it's only YOU that can motivate yourself...

I spent ages creating a diet plan for someone at work and I planned them a 'beginners' HIIT running plan.. they were really up for it.. bought their own treadmil......

1 week later they're shovelling crap down their throats at lunchtime and the treadmil is in their mates garage.......

If you can't motivate yourself, you're not off to a good start.

Soldato
OP
Find something you enjoy, do you have a friend you can do sports with? Maybe take up tennis/badminton, maybe go jogging with them? Buy a mountain bike.

Start with small steps.

Once you get into the habit of going out you'll find it much easier.

The hardest part is just DOING it, like anything you keep putting off: work, ringing up the boiler repair man, if you don't do it then you'll never get started.

Not many of my mates are that sporty but it might be worth asking them. I've always held off sports because I wouldnt even know where to start.

You're right though, I'm sure once I get into the habbit and start doing it, it'll be much easier

Soldato
The best motivation is to find something you enjoy, preferably close to where you live or work. While the weather is still pretty miserable, you're probably best looking for something indoors rather than running etc.

Associate
I was in the same position. I just made a weekly plan and said to myself that under no circumstances could I break it. Once you get the first week done and it becomes a routine, you actually start to enjoy it :) I can also suggest a coffee and a banana 30mins before you go, helps pick you up.

Soldato
Lol. I'm the complete opposite of you.
I need to lose weight also. I have plenty of motivation to get out on my bike a lot (nice to get out of the city). But i cant eat the right stuff (through a combination of working late and needing something quick and just being to lazy to cook properly.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Go to the gym.

Once you get started it's great. It's just that initial can I be bothered.... losing about 1lb of fat a week/gaining a bit more muscle atm.

Soldato
OP
I think coffee is causing more of a problem than it could solve! I drink so much during the day, I'm sure the caffeine low is contributing to my flumping in the evening. Going to try switching to decaf after the first one or 2 in the morning and see if it helps

Back
Top Bottom