• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BFG 9800GT OC2, DVI > HDMI conundrum, can anyone help solve this?

Associate
I have in my possesion a BFG 9800GT OC2 that i received after RMA of my 7800GT OC, i have been trying to get this card working through HDMI via DVI > HDMI connection, the issue i'm having is my monitor and TV both display the "no signal" message when connected in this way.

With the help of Jeff at BFG i have done a lot of testing, i have tested numerous cards on both the monitor and TV and they all work fine using DVI > HDMI, the only card that doesn't work with this connection is the 9800GT.

Here comes the odd bit, the 9800GT works perfectly using DVI > DVI and DVI > VGA, but as said above, it all goes pair shaped using DVI > HDMI.

I have also tested three different methods of connection, DVI cable with HDMI adaptor, DVI > HDMI cable and DVI > HDMI adaptor with HDMI cable from Jeff at BFG, i also tested with single and dual link cables, anyway, you can see below all tests i have carried out but the problem persists.

Tested on monitor (LG > 22LS4R) via HDMI and found to be working (fully supports DVI through HDMI 1680x1050@60Hz)
6800Ultra, (7800GTX OC before RMA), 9600GT OC2, 7900GT and 6200LE using DVI > HDMI cable and DVI > HDMI adaptor + DVI single & dual link cables, also tested with adaptor & cable received from Jeff of BFG.

Tested on TV (LG > 37LG5000) via HDMI and found to be working (fully supports DVI through HDMI 1920x1080@60Hz)
6800Ultra, (7800GTX OC before RMA), 9600GT OC2, 7900GT and 6200LE using DVI > HDMI cable and DVI > HDMI adaptor + DVI single & dual link cables, also tested with adaptor & cable received from Jeff of BFG.

Tested on monitor (LG > 22LS4R) & TV (LG > 37LG5000) via HDMI and found NOT to be working (both fully support DVI through HDMI as above)
9800GT OC2 using DVI > HDMI cable, DVI > HDMI adaptor + DVI single & dual link cables, also tested with adaptor & cable received from Jeff of BFG.

I've tested all of the above with WHQL & BETA drivers from 178.13 > 186.08 (7800GTX before RMA 185.85)

EDIT > Jeff at BFG has also tested the exact same type of card in house and was able to get a signal on a Dell 3008 without issue using the DVI > HDMI adaptor and cable that he subsiquently sent to me, i should have mentioned this earlier, thanks for reminding me Jeff.

Could someone help with solving this issue? PLEASE!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Associate
Let's also state that I have tested the same type of card in house, and was able to obtain a signal from DVI to HDMI (via the adapter I send to him) to a Dell 3008 with no issues. Confused... This makes no sense.

Associate
OP
Let's also state that I have tested the same type of card in house, and was able to obtain a signal from DVI to HDMI (via the adapter I send to him) to a Dell 3008 with no issues. Confused... This makes no sense.

Thanks for bringing this up, i've just edited my post to reflect the testing you have done in house.

Permabanned
Not to old to bump I hope, but I had this exact problem with a 192SP 260 GTX and a LG > 22LS4R and now again on a 216SP 260 GTX and LG > 22LS4R.

It appears to be an nvidia driver problem.

I believe 172.68 drivers work fine, but anything newer and it has problems. Its an EDID issue where the HDTV INF file sends the wrong informations.
Last time I had to buy a proper DVI - DVI supporting monitor to fix the issue.

Did you manage to fix it ?

Associate
OP
No i didn't fix it and i have to agree that it's an nvidia driver or hardware issue as i didn't have this issue with all other cards i tested, in the end i solved the problem by purchasing a Samsung SM2333HD which works perfectly using DVI and HDMI.

Back
Top Bottom