Pre-weights workout warmup routine ?.

Associate
Can someone spare the time to suggest a reasonible warm-up routine to be done before a full body weights session.

Last Friday I came away with a pull on my back, now gone, and a strain on my thumb (at the wrist) and the bottom of one of my calves.

I would like to minimise any more damage and I do a warmup set of most exercises but when it comes to pre-workout warmup / stretches I am currently lost.

Many thanks
RB

Associate
I tend to do 3 or 4 minutes light skipping, and then warmup each exercise with a light weight.

I would avoid stretching before lifting weights, apparently it can adversely affect performance whilst lifting. Stretching a little while after a workout is deffinitely beneficial though.

Associate
one or two sets with a very light weight rpior to do the heavy weighted exercise whould be fine. 5-10 mins gentle run or steady x-trainer or similar also is enough.

J.T

J.T

Soldato
I do 500 Meters on the Rower for upper body days and 10 mins on the Xtrainer on Leg days, seems to do the trick.

Soldato
Normally I lift about 20 reps for every exercise I do at a light weight.

For example, my bench press is poor in comparison to others on here, I can lift about 60kg but to warm up I do at least 20 reps of 20kg to warm the muscles I am about to use.

alx

alx

Soldato
My warm up is as follows:

1) 2mins light-ish cycling on a bike, maybe a few bodyweight squats/jump squats as well
2) Hang 15secs from chin/pull up bars, helps to straighten spine and improve neurotransmission
3) Next is some mobility work, usually do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0-IatUrY
4) Then do some dynamic stretches e.g. leg swings, calves stretchs, hips circles, etc

Then onto the weights :)

Associate
OP
Fantastic responses, thanks guys.

A bit of a mix there.

The hanging sounds like a good move especially after a day spent in an office chair.

I do one set on 50% of current set weight. Maybe I should up the reps for that one warmup set.

I did find this on the ironmagazine forums and would be interested on peoples opinions.

My workout topped 1.5 hours last night so I am wondering if I am packing too much in. Adding a warmup will start to strain the bounderies of what my wife finds acceptible for time home on a daily basis while she is looking after the kids :eek:.

Thanks all
RB

Soldato
I'm a novice but I'm normally in the weights area for an hour tops. I'll probably be in the gym for an hour and a half in total when you take in to account changing, showers, swim, sauna, steam and jacuzzi.

Associate
i pretty much spend four 1 1/2" sessions per week doing weights alone. fitting in the any cardio is my only problem....its fine really can i hate doing it anyway. Dont do much warm up either....a light set or two per exercise.

Back
Top Bottom