Post workout refueling.

Associate
Ok, I admit it, I am confused, yet again.....

Post workout.

I have been taking the shake within 30 minutes of the workout to provide protein for recovery.

All good so far.

Now I know that in Gordys thread it was mentioning taking a form of carbs (Maltodextrin IIRC).

Now I have not been doing this as I am trying to loose weight (the shake does have carbs in it but only 2g) and I thought the replenishment would be taken from fat. On reading further I am wondering if not taking the carbs directly after exercise only is harming my ability to do cardio or weights on following days. Or am I doing the right thing and the recovery will be fuelled by fat ?

Many thanks
RB

The ratio I have seen is 1:4 protein:carbs

Associate
OP
Thanks FF,

Do/did you do this even when cutting or trying to reduce bodyfat after a bulk (possibily in the past ;)).

It is the fat loss I am concered about that it will be affected by the addition of carbs after a session.

Many thanks
RB

Man of Honour
I don't do cutting/bulking so I wouldn't be able to tell you. I know that I need to replenish my body after a workout - always have a big dinner and breakfast which helps. You don't need to go mad, but some carbs would help.

Associate
OP
Any suggestion of volume ?

I really have no idea how much would be reasonible. Still around the 100Kg mark but not all lean ;).

Oats and yoghurt is pretty good, maybe I will try a couple of spoons with the shake.

Cheers
RB

Man of Honour
I usually go for a straight whey shake as soon as I get into the changing room, then by the time I've walked the 20mins or half hour on a legs day home I have my dinner or lunch depending on the day which normally has 100g cooked brown rice with plenty of green veg and some meat.
This seems to have worked fine for me.

Soldato
Yes, post workout, a good ratio is between 1:3 and 1:4

I wouldn't recommend them in most situations, but if you struggle getting the right balance, then for goodness shakes are quite good.

They are about 90% milk, and are usually **** value for money, but if you get some discount coupons, maybe try one to see how it goes. I think you can get a free sample from their website

Associate
if your trying still to loose body fat...i wouldnt do carbs after workout. Whey protein in water only. Some l-glut maybe in there to help muscle recovery if you use it.
Have a meal about an hour after this with some (not to many) carbs. If you must have some cabs then maybe 50g oats maximum as this will get used as fuel. Any more and I would ditch most of the carbs from meal an hour later or so. I dont do carbs after workouts unless Im struggling to stand...LOL.

How about an apple with your protein PWO?

Last edited:
Soldato
How about an apple with your protein PWO?

That sounds good, I saw something on M&F website (lol dont laugh!) and the chap on there says its good to get some easy sugars straight after a workout for an insulin spike, to go along with the protein..... or something like that..... does that sound right? The guy was recommending gummi bears since they had less fat and were quicker digesting than oats.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the responses.

Can anyone confirm whether without PWO carbs the body will burn more fat to fill the carb deficit and reload the muscles ?

If yes then I will stick to no or low carbs post workout until I loose what I want to loose.

If no then oats and / or an apple sound good. Both fairly easy to get and take to the gym.

My concern with not taking carbs is the knock on effect of weights/Hiit/weights/hiit/weights 5 day cycle and the muscles not being able to recharge enough thus lowering performance at the latter end of the week. IF a good session takes upto 48 hours to recharge without carbs then the next day exercising will suffer ??.

Another though would be, is there any way of encouraging the body to recharge with fat (if it doesnt as standard) and anything that can be taken to help the process (water of course but anything else). I am not suggesting another suppliment so much as something in a normal diet that aids the process.

Damn the analyst in me :D.

Cheers
RB

Associate
Cant answer that..but from personnel experience, I have gained 2kg in last 2-3 weeks (its definitely muscle)....and I only have protein after workout and very little carbs really through the day. Ive upped the fat content and caloroies im taking on by adding more basically more nuts, eggs, cheese, olive oil etc. Absolutely no more carbs. Just higher calories through increased protein and fats. My carb intake for the day ammounts to about 100g brown rice at dinner, 70g oats at breakfast and maybe a wholeweat tortilla or a couple of oatcakes at lunchtime.
So my point is..dont get carried away with the whole 'need carbs' thing. Good calorie intake is whats important and thats what gives you energy..whether its fats, protein or carbs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, post workout, a good ratio is between 1:3 and 1:4

I wouldn't recommend them in most situations, but if you struggle getting the right balance, then for goodness shakes are quite good.

They are about 90% milk, and are usually **** value for money, but if you get some discount coupons, maybe try one to see how it goes. I think you can get a free sample from their website

what? Shakes are the cheapest meals you will find. Excellent value for money.

Soldato
what? Shakes are the cheapest meals you will find. Excellent value for money.

Took me a couple of reads to pick it out but I believe he is referring to 'For Goodness Shakes' the bottled drink, which are lovely!!!! Slammed full of carbs though!

Associate
OP
Cant answer that..but from personnel experience, I have gained 2kg in last 2-3 weeks (its definitely muscle)....and I only have protein after workout and very little carbs really through the day. Ive upped the fat content and caloroies im taking on by adding more basically more nuts, eggs, cheese, olive oil etc. Absolutely no more carbs. Just higher calories through increased protein and fats. My carb intake for the day ammounts to about 100g brown rice at dinner, 70g oats at breakfast and maybe a wholeweat tortilla or a couple of oatcakes at lunchtime.
So my point is..dont get carried away with the whole 'need carbs' thing. Good calorie intake is whats important and thats what gives you energy..whether its fats, protein or carbs.

Ok, great. Thanks Toxic.

I will try and tighten up my diet so I can reduce the carbs more, up the whole food protein (try to remove a shake or two) and see how that goes.

Once I have lost the fat I will look at adding some oats as that also seems reasonible and fairly easy to do.

Once again, thanks to all for all the replies.

RB

Back
Top Bottom