monitor for uni

Associate
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a fair sized monitor that I can use at uni. I'll mainly be using it for PS3 so that I can avoid paying a tv license, so ideally it needs a hdmi input. I'd also like to use it with the iBook G4 I'll be taking. I dont really want to spend more than £200 but may stretch for the right piece of kit. The bigger the better!

Cheers.

Edit: I forgot to mention I'd also like a recommendation for some acceptable speakers to go with it, but dont really want to spend more than £30-40 depending on how much I spend on the monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
+1 on the Dell S2409W.

I have one and it is an awesome monitor for the price.
As the aspect ration is 16:9 you will not get any image stretching when you plug in your consoles.

Associate
Should be ideal for a console in that respect, if it is outputting at 1080p that is a 1:1 mapping.

Btw I use Logitech Z4 speakers for PC + console, been excellent for ~4 years now :D (i got them just before I started uni)

Associate
remember you only have to pay for TV license if you use it for live broadcasting so you can have it just not use the tv part thats what i do.

Absolutely right, and you do not have to let them into your room/into your house, unless the have a court warrant. So if they irritate you by sending thousands of faux-legalese letters, then feel free to gain some retribution by politely refusing them access to your room and shutting the door ;)

Associate
OP
I'm pretty sure you have to pay a license if you have equipment that can receive a tv signal?

However, checking the tv license site says;
"You must be covered by a valid TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV. It makes no difference what equipment you use - whether it’s a laptop, PC, mobile phone, digital box, DVD recorder or a TV set - you still need a licence."

I suppose if I had a tv without a signal cable I'd be ok? That'd be awesome cause then I would quite happily rock a 32" samsung.

Unfortunately, Exeter has let too many people in this year and so has had to double up single rooms with bunkbeds, which is what I'm stuck with until enough people drop out for me to be moved into a single. :( Looks like I won't be taking the PS3 after all!

Back
Top Bottom