Northbridge problem??

Associate
Hi there,
Ok, hopefully someone can shed some light on a problem that i cant find any soultion to.
This is my first attempt at overclocking and have the following setup

AMD Phenom II 550 BE 3.10GHz
Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard
4GB DDR3 XMS3 PC2-1600C9 (2x2GB)
Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 4890 PCS+ BattleForge Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card

After a lot tinkering and playing aound i have it rock solid stable overclocked to 3.7GHz with a core voltage of around 1.48.

This is great but the problem is as follows. When i start the computer and open CPUz it shows 3.7Ghz NB frequency 2400 and ran frequency around 800. Great, thats whats in the BIOS. Then i need to restart the computer for whatever reason and randomly the CPUZ shows the settings reverted back to stock setting. 3.1GHz , NB frequency 2000 and ran frequency around 500! Even though in the BIOS my overclocking values are all there! Just to be clear the BIOS never changes from what i put in, only what i see in CPUZ is changing.
So after a day of tinkering i think i have narrowed it down to the Northbridge frequency. With it anything above 2000 in the BIOS the computer will load stock settings roughly one out of three times on starting up windows.
Now i could continue what am doing and everytime it loads the stock setting simply restart and my overclocked values in the BIOS will be loads on the next start, but its a problem thats annoying.

I have tried everything, raised voltages for the NB to 1.45 etc but no good. Currently NB voltage is at 1.1. Its strange as it starts fine 2/3 times and can run great benchmarks and play games for hrs with no crash. Its fustrating though as the difference in the benchmarks with the increase in NB frequency from 2000 - 2400 is quite a bit, especially in the RAM benchmarks.

Please if anyone has any ideas let me know. I have searched but not seen this problem described anywhere else. Is it down to my motherboard? What makes a motherboard a good overclocker?

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom