• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD® Phenom™ II Overclocking Thread

Soldato
amdphenomiiintro.jpg

AMD® Phenom™ II overclocking results in this thread please . . .

• Callisto
  • Heka
  • Deneb

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
"Welcome" :)

AMD® Phenom™ II Overclocking Thread

Hello my Brothers (& Sisters), I would just like to inform you there is every possibility that this thread will be viewed by a lot of people around the world including maybe representatives from AMD® etc . . . I am hoping we can demonstrate what fantastic, friendly and capable bunch of overclockers the crew @ OcUK are . . . I'm gonna do my level best to make this a fun thread and I hope you guys (& girls ) enjoy!

If any of you have Photoshop installed it would be great if you added your name and a little bling to the screeny, if not then try to make sure your name is in the image somewhere (even a .txt document)

Can I also suggest that in an effort to make the thread easier to read that we do not use quotes at all . . . It's ok to call a person by their user name . . . I'm sorry if this seems like nit-picking but you would be surprised how much easier a long thread is too read without excessive quoting . . . I illustrated this concept of a "completely" uneeded quote for you in the image below, there is enough original text in the thread without having it repeated (again and again), the idea is that this "improves" the thread as a Technical Resource for those that follow later . . . . thanks in advance for your cooperation!

I'm gonna be *lifting* some peoples screenshots out and using them to fill the "Screen Of The Day!" section in post #2 . . . Also don't forget some people will be *viewing* using a laptop so keep the image dimensions reasonable and fill the space with as much useful stuff as possible (temps, stability, Memory timings etc) . . .

Further Reading:

A real basic starter guide by me here

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II here

Last edited:
Soldato
OK - the one people have been mentioning:

Athlon X2 5000+ 45nm 2.2GHz (CAVC AC 0936BPEW) unlocked to Phenom FX-5000 (Deneb) and overclocked to 3.3GHz on a Jetway Ha08 Combo (Bios DDR2-A09) combined AM2/AM3 DDR2/DDR3 motherboard. Clearly binned as Athlon by AMD due to substandard cache on CPU0 - Now 8 hours prime blend stable:

4317758345_7c4c42f414_o.jpg

Just bought it as a stop-gap CPU to play with. Cost £36 delivered plus under £4 to mod my case for better temps with my existing Freezer Pro £64.

Please note that I still get warnings in Windows event viewer relating to l1 and l2 cache on CPU-0 even though the PC seems otherwise stable.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They still seem to run fairly cool though! . . . and I think the word you are looking for is *passionate* :p . . . new toys basically! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I get the impression that these chips perform better & better the more cooling you can give them . . . i.e they may really take off if you can keep the load temps at 40°C or even lower! :) . . . See what the others say . . . I'm not an expert here! :o

Soldato
4.jpg

Here's my shot at getting the best SuperPi 1M score I could, not stable at all. I then tried upping the FSB to 202 to give me a clock of 4.040, but it wasn't having it.

Next plan is to run it with a vcore of 1.575v and use the AMD Overclock utility to up the multiplier further, hopefully I can make it stick at 4.1 or 4.2ghz long enough for a run. :p

This is on air cooling by the way, not that it matters as it's only under load for less than 18 secs. :p

My stable overclock is all the same settings as that, but with a multiplier of x19 to give 3.8ghz.

EDIT: I tried booting with it at 1.6v and then using AMD Overdrive Utility to bump the multiplier to 20.5 to give 4.1ghz, but it was reading it as 1.5v so I upped it to the max that program offers, 1.55v, applied it and it died almost instantly. :( Giving up on that now, don't think I'm ever going to break 17 secs. :p Not bad for a C2 anyway! I'd like to see what someone with a C3 and a posher motherboard can do. (Mine's only a Asus M4A79XTD Evo).

Last edited:
Soldato
I get the impression that these chips perform better & better the more cooling you can give them . . . i.e they may really take off if you can keep the load temps at 40°C or even lower! :) . . . See what the others say . . . I'm not an expert here! :o

Yea, these things love the cold :)

I'm gonna wait for the next cold night open all the windows and freeze my housemates in an attempt to get a decent prime run in :) At 4.0 my best run is like 12mins with temps hitting 61 :( I was able to run that chess benchmark and play some MW2 at 4.0 (which made no difference ofc)
I'm considering an H50 or something to keep the temps down a bit (on a Fenrir atm which is brilliant but I can't help but want more)
I'm also not convinced upping the voltage would help my situation with my temps so close the max.

(last night would have been perfect it was -4 but I was engaged in battle with my neighbours :D waterbomb slingshots are awesome)

Back
Top Bottom