Bye bye to the 330i Sport

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Fox's revived thread on his 530i made me think that it might be worth summarising thoughts and costs on the 330i sport that I've just sold.

Here's what it looked like on the day we collected it and motored into the lakes:

ABAF1154-01a.jpg

It needed a bit of clean, but otherwise was in fine fettle. It was a 2002, post facelift model.

To my knowledge, it was a fairly standard 330i sport automatic, meaning full leather, manually adjusted seats, CD changer in the boot and plenty of electric toys.
Living with it was both good and bad. The seats were brilliant offering both comfort and support. Unfortunately the comfort was offset by the ride, which was a little hard for my liking. Being fair, it did improve when we replaced the tyres with Falken 452s.
Space was OK. Certainly not as good as a Mondeo mk3, and the boot was a good deal smaller and less practical.
Performance was also a bit mixed. It certainly had plenty of go, handled in a very composed manner (seemed to get better as it went faster) and had tons of grip in anything but snow. The real downside was that it was so good that it didn't actually feel that exciting. Certainly my old 1.8 MX5 was a lot more fun to drive. For me, I found the 330i rather frustrating as it didn't excite me as I wanted, yet caught up new rolling traffic jam very quickly. I'm guessing that someone living in the countryside would get a lot more enjoyment out of owning one.

We did roughly 30k miles in it during three years of ownership, starting at 84k, selling at 114k miles.

Costs were as follows:
- Depreciation, £5500.
- Fuel at roughly 25mpg. We did see a best of 31mpg on long motorway runs, but also were down to 20mpg in town.
- x2 sets of front tyres at £180/pair and 1 set of rear tyres at £250/pair. All were Falken 452s, which really do live upto their reputation. Never had any problems with them in the wet or dry.
- Servicing. Required an oil change and inspection 1 and an inspection 2, priced at £130, £220 and £320 directly from a BMW dealer, which I didn't think was that bad. Certainly is a LOT less than Volvo want for the S60.
- Refurbishment of all 4 18" MV alloys at £65/wheel. They seemed to be made of swiss cheese and were prone to both kerbing (I'm as guilty as the missus) and corrosion. Looked lovely once refurbed.

The faults we dealt with were:
- Replacement wishbone front bushes (common issue) - £240
- Failed powersteering pump - £480 directly from BMW (very close to the price at an independant)

The only toys were bought for it was a DICE Ipod adaptor, which was so easy that I fitted it myself. Cost was £100.

Total (excluding fuel) - £7760
Total (including fuel) - £13760 (assuming an average of 25mpg and a cost of around £5/gallon)
Cost per mile (excluding depreciation) - 26p
Cost per mile (including depreciation) - 46p

Do I miss it since changing to a diesel Volvo? Nope, not really. The Volvo is a lot slower, clatters at standstill and doesn't make lovely noises, has 2 inches less legroom (front to back) and a 1m worse turning circle.
It makes up for it by having even more toys, it's more comfortable, has a boot that's 1/3rd bigger, it's wider across the rear seats, is nearly half the cost in road tax and far more importantly is averaging around 47mpg at the moment, which is close on double the BMW.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sounds like you made the right choice for your requirements then with the Volvo, I wouldn't have gone the way you did ...but each to their own, I do like the S60 actually, nice cars.

Sounds like you had a good BMW experience all in all. No major issues at all by the looks of it.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Sounds like you made the right choice for your requirements then with the Volvo, I wouldn't have gone the way you did ...but each to their own, I do like the S60 actually, nice cars.

Sounds like you had a good BMW experience all in all. No major issues at all by the looks of it.

The Volvo really is a different kind of car, despite it having the same number of doors, wheels etc. The 330i has the right layout for a performance car and does it's job in a very competent manner.
The Volvo is clearly a lot more laid back to drive and travel in, and is where fwd makes sense. It doesn't need 50:50 weight distribution and the ability to oversteer. The compromise results in a better overall use of space and a car that has a different type of character, that encourages a more relaxed and chilled approach.

The E46 is notorious for eating wishbone bushes, to the point where I considered them to simply be consumables. So the only real issue we had in 30k miles was the powersteering pump. That's pretty good stuff IMO.

Man of Honour
Many people quite accurately refer to cars produced after the date at which the facelift took place as 'Post' Facelift and cars before as 'Pre' facelift. I see no issue with this.

Soldato
Would I be wrong to discount depreciation when working out the cost of a car? When I buy things, I don't tend to look at what the resale value will be and I save enough to make the purchase and forget about it. Anything you get back is a bonus.

daz

daz

Soldato
Would I be wrong to discount depreciation when working out the cost of a car? When I buy things, I don't tend to look at what the resale value will be and I save enough to make the purchase and forget about it. Anything you get back is a bonus.

Yes because it's a cost. The cost is the difference between what you buy it for, and what you eventually sell it for.

Depends on if you were planning to run it into the ground or not.

If you run it into the ground, your depreciation is the value of the whole car.

Using depreciation helps you to compare the cost of owning a car like this versus leasing, for example. If you add up his costs over three years, it comes to about £8k for the car alone, which is like spending £180 per month (plus VAT and the initial payment etc) on a lease. Look at the type of cars you can get on a lease for £180 and you'll see that Sukebe came out quite well. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
Going back to when you bought it, would you buy it again?

If I knew what I now know, then no.

Every car on the market is a bunch of compromises, e.g. cost, performance, comfort, functionality etc. With my own circumstances, i.e. traffic conditions near to where I live, I very very rarely got to use the fun/performance elements of the 330i. What I've replaced it with is a much more sensible compromise.

Having said that, it certainly was an experience and in the right conditions, the 330i was a great car. More importantly, if I hadn't owned one, I would probably have had this niggly thought at the back of my mind that "I should have owned one" for years to come.
Life's like that, as you get older, you realise that you spend most of your life "experiencing" things, and the more fun you have the better. So despite the cost, it's hard to feel too unhappy about having owned it.

That's why in some ways I feel happy about having owned the variety of cars that I have. Sure, I would love to have had the opportunity to have included a host of Porsches or similar, but that's just the way things go.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;16398330 said:
Many people quite accurately refer to cars produced after the date at which the facelift took place as 'Post' Facelift and cars before as 'Pre' facelift. I see no issue with this.

It's not accurate though is it. It's either pre facelift, or facelift. You can't have post facelift, that is to suggest an event occured to the car after its facelift, which, it didn't.

Perhaps this is why BMW say LCI. Afterall, by the same hand, when did you ever hear someone say post LCI? :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
OP
It's not accurate though is it. It's either pre facelift, or facelift. You can't have post facelift, that is to suggest an event occured to the car after its facelift, which, it didn't.

Perhaps this is why BMW say LCI. Afterall, by the same hand, when did you ever hear someone say post LCI? :)

Since we're being pedantic.
The car itself doesn't actually get changed, therefore doesn't receive a facelift. It's the model range that receives the facelift. As such, the car in question was built post the facelift to the range. So it's one of the following:
- facelifted
- post facelift
- facelift version
I would assume that anyone on these forums would understand any of those terms.

Soldato
I have often thought about changing my MX5 for a 330 as you did, but certainly don't want to lose out on the 'fun' element either.

Pretty much anything this side of 10k is going to be a step down from an MX5 in the fun region.

The only things that would be close would be a Clio Sport or Integra Type R i should think.

But what you lose in fun, you more than make up for in looks, speed, noise, comfort and quality.

Back
Top Bottom