Which 3D Monitor? LED or LCD?

Associate
I'm looking at the Asus VG236H 23" with glasses and Benq XL2410T LED Monitor.

Am I right in thinking the LED screen is the better option here? slightly larger and much better contrast.

Any reason not to get the Benq?

Also is there anything larger? seems 3d monitors only go upto 23.6" ?

Associate
1) don't look at the contrast advertised, you're lucky if it's actually over 1000:1

2) no there aren't any larger screens

3) you sure you want to go 3D? it is really a gimmick and you will likely give up on it very quickly

Soldato
'LED' is simply a backlighting type and has very little to do with the image quality - read more here and here. There are plenty of reasons not to get the BenQ and these are explored in some depth in this review. As explained in the review there is a possibility that our unit suffered from unusually high levels of backlight bleed-through around the edges, upsetting the average black level across the screen and affecting the contrast. I would wait for TFT Central to finish having a play and see what they make of the XL2410T - but I am fairly confident that the relatively low luminance of the screen will inhibit enjoyment once you factor in the dulling effect of shutter glasses. The contrast and brightness section in the review linked to is well worth a read as it points out the differences between dynamic and static contrast. The former figure is what made you think the BenQ is somehow 'better' and alongside this whole 'LED' fad is just there to confuse consumers into buying something that isn't all they think it is.

Associate
OP
1) don't look at the contrast advertised, you're lucky if it's actually over 1000:1

2) no there aren't any larger screens

3) you sure you want to go 3D? it is really a gimmick and you will likely give up on it very quickly

120hz isnt though, which is what I mostly want it for.

Associate
OP
'LED' is simply a backlighting type and has very little to do with the image quality - read more here and here. There are plenty of reasons not to get the BenQ and these are explored in some depth in this review. As explained in the review there is a possibility that our unit suffered from unusually high levels of backlight bleed-through around the edges, upsetting the average black level across the screen and affecting the contrast. I would wait for TFT Central to finish having a play and see what they make of the XL2410T - but I am fairly confident that the relatively low luminance of the screen will inhibit enjoyment once you factor in the dulling effect of shutter glasses. The contrast and brightness section in the review linked to is well worth a read as it points out the differences between dynamic and static contrast. The former figure is what made you think the BenQ is somehow 'better' and alongside this whole 'LED' fad is just there to confuse consumers into buying something that isn't all they think it is.

Thanks for all the info, I really don't know which to get now..

I get the impression I should wait a bit longer.. :(

Associate
OP
Get an IPS Screen like the Dell 2311h OR VA Screen like the Benq if you want to watch dvds and arn,t worried about 3D thats the feedback i got from here ;)

I'm more interested in the 120hz refresh than 3D, just annoying that all the 3D displays use TN panels and max at only 23.6"

I've been using a 2407WFP since early 2006, seems pointless upgrading to another 24" 60hz display and I don't want to go bigger as I don't want to cripple my graphics card with higher resolutions.

Associate
I'm more interested in the 120hz refresh than 3D, just annoying that all the 3D displays use TN panels and max at only 23.6"

I've been using a 2407WFP since early 2006, seems pointless upgrading to another 24" 60hz display and I don't want to go bigger as I don't want to cripple my graphics card with higher resolutions.

I had the Benq XL2410 for a few days before returning it. My example had Excessive backlight bleed and poor colours. Mine may have been faulty though. The 120hz was very nice though and it was great to see my favourite games not pinned to 60fps when running with vsync on. I'm going to wait and see what 120hz offers in the future. Having said that I was sorely tempted by the Asus you mentioned above.

For now I'm going the IPS route and am going for either a Dell U2311h or HP ZR24w.

Back
Top Bottom