Tutorial: Swap the fan on a PSU.

Soldato
***Photobucket have changed their site and made it useless so none of the images work***

First thing first.

Doing this mod will invalidate your warranty. PSUs can be dangerous and some of the components, especially those on the Primary side, can carry lethal charges. Only undertake this mod if you are really sure you know what you are doing and understand the consequences. I accept no liability or responsibility if you void your warranty or fry yourself when touching or worse still licking a primary capacitor.

There can be a few reasons why you'd want to swap the fan on a PSU:-

1) To fit a slower quieter more effective fan to reduce noise.
2) To replace a fan which has become noisy due to failing bearings.
3) Make it look nicer.
4) Just for fun.

My reasons are mostly in the first category but also in the fourth, yes I like this sort of thing. :D

Discharge the PSU. There are a couple of ways which are recommended to do this. Some involve leaving it switched off at the mains for 24 hours, another which involves using resistors to dump energy out of rectifiers and caps. I went for the unplug and hammer the case power on button a few times. I don't intend touching anything apart from the PSU case and fan and maybe a fan wire or two.

My Power Supply, the FSP Aurum 700W is a 80 Plus Gold unit that achieves 91% or thereabouts efficiency at the loads I put on it. The stock fan is a 2,400 rpm model which is wired to an rather aggressive fan controller. I've checked temperatures and the differences between case and rear PSU external temperatures never go more than 3 degrees at any load I can put on it. I'm thinking FSP have gone very aggressive with the fan assuming that Joe Public will want it to exhaust system heat as well as PSU generated heat. For me in an Antec P183 this is not as issue.

I should also add that the noise generated by the Aurum is not particularly high in any regard but is high compared with the rest of my system with no fan ever over 1,00 rpm and suspended hard drives inside an insulated Antec P183.

LWEcbUp.jpg

GdlJKOw.jpg

So I needed to decide which fan to replace with. In the end the choice was a now defunct Scythe S-Flex 1600rpm or the one I went for, the Enermax Magma. The Magma has a 85 degree C working temperature, 100,000 hour MTBF and is 1500rpm and pushes decent air. Perfect.

SkT57KS.jpg

OFWBzxL.jpg

Your Power Supply may be different, have a different fan, run hotter or colder so your mileage may vary.

Remove the four PSU case screws to get at the inside. One of the screws may be covered with a Void sticker. Remove the sticker carefully, you may be able to reapply later.

The casing may need to be prised from the top if it's anything like mine as the sides are kind of tucked in.

Ydsxzqh.jpg

The stock fan.
YGOtfa2.jpg

The power regulators -- basically this is what needs cooling (hence the big heatsink)
SR8SEvB.jpg

Unfortunately the FSP Aurum has it's fan wires soldered directly to the PCB and I can't just shove the 3 pin fan header connector in place of the stock fan.

So I need to cut the wires and stuff. Oh joy. :D

First thing first let's identify and understand the wiring.
Nn2kvuP.jpg

A normal fan connector.
f6aAuou.jpg

And a modded Magma connector.
DkCSzcW.jpg

So cut the wire and mark as appropriate.
kEzhNbk.jpg

Bare and tin the wires and then fit heatshrink. Solder together.
n2fMvS2.jpg

And shrink.
ntvPIbv.jpg

I wanted the sense wire (normally yellow) to run into my case and be plugged into a motherboard header so that I can monitor fan speed in the PSU. I used some Orange braid for this wire. Nothing complicated here, just basically soldered a yellow wire to the redundant Magma fan's sense wire, added the braid and heatshrink.

69dNlkq.jpg
Fully wired up.
dWkmXMu.jpg

Fan needed to be fitted back into the PSU cover. Fan MUST have airflow pointing into the PSU. The fan will usually have arrows to help with this.

I used the rubber grommets that came with the Magma, inserting the smaller diameter through the case and into the fan grille and eventually fan, like so. I used a pointed nose plier. Fits together pretty nicely. Nice grommets from Enermax.

nhmgYS5.jpg

JwrKtGb.jpg

gccTtvL.jpg

Then basically fit the cover back to the main part of the PSU, fit the screws and put the sticker back on.

jx1FRpw.jpg

The job is done.
RGfA55s.jpg

Gys705p.jpg

gccTtvL.jpg

A comparison on visuals.
dGof2rl.jpg

Chuck the crappy 2,400rpm fan away.
N4suK3T.jpg

And fit back into your case.

And now for my result. The difference between the 2,400 rpm mounted with screws and this 1,500 rpm mounted with grommets is staggering. At idle, where it's most important to me, the PSU is to all intents and purposes silent with the fan purring away slowly. The air coming out of the back is actually comparable to the airflow I felt before the change, which is odd but yet comforting that the components are still getting cooled.

Will update again when I have more data such as temperatures and under load sound signature.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Nice guide. Just make sure your replacement fan can push enough air to cool the psu down. Personally, I would go for a fan with high cfm as airflow is impeeded in such a cramped environment.

Soldato
OP
230v isn't "lethal"! :D ;)

This monster capacitor must hold a joule or two when energised. I wouldn't want that energy dumped through my heart whether it be DC 12v or AC 230V.
internals3.jpg

W3bbo said:
Personally, I would go for a fan with high cfm as airflow is impeeded in such a cramped environment.

Well the FSP Aurum isn't really all that cramped and also high airflow = high noise which kind of defeats the point of the mod.

internals.jpg

Clearly there's always a risk that the unit could now overheat with a 900 rpm drop in rotation speed but a 2,400 rpm fan, no matter who makes it will always be hellish noisy in my opinion.

Soldato
just noticed my corsair fan is making a clicky noise in my psu and will need to change so this is nice and useful for me, thanks, just need to find a suitable replacement

Soldato
Nice guide. Just make sure your replacement fan can push enough air to cool the psu down. Personally, I would go for a fan with high cfm as airflow is impeeded in such a cramped environment.

Indeed, that PSU looks like it's got pretty small heatsinks also so I wouldn't want to put a lower speed fan in it personally...

Soldato
OP
Well I modded a OCZ/FSP 600W 80% efficient PSU (stock 2000 rpm) with a 1600 rpm fan and it was just fine after two years of heavy use, running just as cool as before. That wasn't bristling with heatsinks either.

As I said these types of PSU are designed to act as a system exhaust as well as to cool their own components. I wouldn't go passive on this PSU though.

KD - I thought the Magma was more red than orange but now that you mention it... :)

Soldato
OP
Just wanted to add that everything is still working just fine after 8 months of operation. The fan never goes up to more than 1100 rpm, even under heavy BF3 loading, which is the most my PC gets as I don't run benchmarks or rubbish like that.

Associate
Wish manufacturers would fit decent fans in the first place. I bet some of these cheap ones they use have to ramp up the rpm just to move the same air as an expensive one at lower speeds :mad:

Decent guide, especially helpful if you go past the warranty period. However, ppl need to make sure they check the paperwork that came with their psu for warranty info because I just foud out some corsair ones last seven years :eek:

Soldato
Nice guide :) I replaced the fan on a very cheap PSU (only being used for an old E6600 build) that was very noisy. I swapped it for a fairly cheap Xilence fan. I originally wired it into the original fan wires like you did, but at idle, the voltage wasn't enough to even start the fan. So I wired it into a spare 12v header and it was spot on, virtually silent all the time :D

DSCF4074.jpg

Back
Top Bottom