My first pic and thoughts with using a Wacom Bamboo

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Lo chaps

I have always admired people who can draw, I used to love Art in school, but sadly it never really progressed from there, ended up going down the IT/Telecoms route in my career, so 10 years later, I got the urge to draw once again.

I thought about combining my love of drawing with my love of IT, so I bought a Wacom Bamboo Graphics tablet, an ideal starter kit for someone who's never used a tablet before, well thats what I was told!

So for anyone who loves drawing, and is thinking of getting one of these then so far I whole heartdly recommend one! It was a little weird at first, as I'm used to looking at the paper/pencil at the same place when drawing, but having to look at the screen while you can't see your hand is a little unusual at first, but stick with it, you soon get used to it.

So onto my first ever drawing, I've started out easy by copying a picture, to get used to the tablet. I didn't trace it as I thought this would be defeating the purpose, so this is all done freehand. It was created in the free opensource program known as Gimp 2.

Its Evangeline Lilly (Played Kate in the series Lost) for those that don't know - I'm quite pleased for my first go with a tablet. It took approx 15 hours to complete, and it has re-ignited my passion for drawing, I haven't had this much of a buzz for a long time! :p

Anyway here she is;

kate_fin.jpg

Any tips from fellow Digital Artists are welcome, and links to good tutorials, or even college courses I might find useful, as I'm already thinking about my next drawing :D

Soldato
Nice start!

I am looking at getting a wacom tablet for touching up photos etc, think the wacom a5 was around £69. Then its just finding the time to really get in to it :)

Any places online dedicated to this kind of thing?

Soldato
Looks great for a first go. As said, perspective is a little off it seems. I can't pin it down exactly, its either the forehead or the hair right at the top of her head which is making her head seem really elongated. Reducing the pointedness of her chin might help too.

Good job!

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the comments guys, I know what you mean about the left eye, seems a little to high up?

I've tried having a mess around, but as soon as I move the eye, things go....er pear shaped lol I shall have another go tomorrow I think, I've spent a good 6 hours on it today!

Associate
looks awesome, I do some digital painting myself, I find it useful to lightly pen out any pose or facial structure and ensure it is as accurate as I can manage before I start on any big details, if you have used a reference photo then try overlaying your painting with the picture at an exact scale and lower its opacity till you see the discrepancy's, slightly cheating but good on the way to learning scale ratios.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
OP
looks awesome, I do some digital painting myself, I find it useful to lightly pen out any pose or facial structure and ensure it is as accurate as I can manage before I start on any big details, if you have used a reference photo then try overlaying your painting with the picture at an exact scale and lower its opacity till you see the discrepancy's, slightly cheating but good on the way to learning scale ratios.

If I did that I'd be way out lol! (her face is a lot longer in my pic compared to the photo for example) I tried not to trace it as I felt I would be cheating myself and not learning to draw freehand as such, but perhaps for my first attempt it would have been a good idea as you say, all part of the fun of giving new things a go!

Associate
If I did that I'd be way out lol! (her face is a lot longer in my pic compared to the photo for example) I tried not to trace it as I felt I would be cheating myself and not learning to draw freehand as such, but perhaps for my first attempt it would have been a good idea as you say, all part of the fun of giving new things a go!

no don't trace it, that defeats the purpose, I meant just to quickly reference where you go wrong so you can learn for next time, or adjust it for now if you wanted to, keep at it though, you clearly have a lot of talent when it comes to detail

Soldato
For your 1st go with a tablet that is an amazing 1st pic :)

I have a tablet, but I don't think i could draw anywhere near that quality :(

I guess I could just keep trying i suppose :p

Back
Top Bottom