Windows 7 syncback 'cannot copy file access denied'

Associate
Just started to use syncback, ran a backup of my music but got an error 'Failed to copy source: Cannot move file (5): Access is denied'

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to ownership/permissions, but I compared a folder that copied fine to a folder that didn't want to copy and I can't see any difference between the two. I looked at who the owner was, both me, permissions both set to full control.

No doubt something really simple, anyone got any ideas what I've missed?

Associate
Not sure why this is doing it, but you might be able to fix it by taking ownership of the file. Although you said you were already the owner, I find that it does not always work.

Go here to download the Regedit that will add the 'Take Ownership' option. (Don't worry, it is perfectly safe; I have done it myself.)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the link, I already stumbled upon that while looking for an answer. I downloaded it and merged it, but still get the same error.
If I manually try and copy the folder to the external hdd, the windows uac box pops up asking if I'm sure I want to carry on. So from that I still don't have 100% control.

But it was only happening on a few folders, I did manually copy them to the external drive, then excluded them from future backups, it's not the way I would like to do it, but it works.

Associate
UAC is just there to ask for your permission. If you don't get it, it does not mean you have greater control over something.

Have you tried doing it in Safe Mode? Not sure if that would make any difference, but its worth a try!

Soldato
not sure what's going on there??

try giving "everyone" and "system" full permission at the root of the drive and make sure everything inherits it.

right click the drive in windows explorer, security tab, advanced, change permissions. remove everything and then add only

everyone
system

make sure they both have full control to files and folders and tick the box "replace permissions on child...".

Associate
OP
No I've not tired safe mode, be a bit of pain if I have to do that every time I want to do a backup.

Marc, I done what you said, is it normal for it to come up with 100 access denied to hiberfil/page file/program files and a bunch of other werid number and letter titled folders?
I'm yet to try a back as I'm not near the drive but will try it later.

It's some ripper music folders, I copied them from when I had XP, so dunno if that's the cause of it all.

Associate
OP
I've done what you said marc, but I'm still getting the same error when using syncback. When changing the owner that you mentioned doing in you last post, I have my user account and a admin account to choose from. I've chosen my account, or should I have chosen the admin account?
When changing the permission with the new owner, it did come up with access denied to the hibernation file/ page file and 3 or 4 random numbered and lettered folders which I guess is normal?

If I manually try and copy the folder to my external hdd, I get a 'you'll need admin permissions' box come up.

Back
Top Bottom