If given a choice, would you get parking sensors on your car?

Caporegime
If given a choice, would you get parking sensors on your car?

I found out that I can retro-fit parking sensors on my Yaris. Apparently they are all fitted at the dealer even if bought new so I called up and they quoted me £395 for the privilege. Yikes!

Now, before you say, "Parking sensors on a Yaris? that car is tiny!!!, just look out the window FFS". I am average at best at parking and could do with all the help I can get. I know it won't add £400 to the value of my car and that's not the point really. The point is helping me park, not to damage my car and others when I am in a car park.

Associate
retrofit parking sensors can look aweful when they are fitted. I guess it depends how retrofit it is, but ive seen cars where you can see the sensor is attached with tape to the bumper and can see the wire going into the boot!

Soldato
I've never used them, do they actually make parking that much easier?

As I understand it they beep when something is close to the rear bumper, but that isn't going to help with reversing at the correct angle for example.

Soldato
Yes, I would. Parking sensors are useful, especially if they are good and will spot odd/low protrusions that you may otherwise miss. Without them the E60 would be a nightmare, with them it's one of the easiest cars I've ever had to park.
As I understand it they beep when something is close to the rear bumper, but that isn't going to help with reversing at the correct angle for example.
Your understanding is correct. They are useful for allowing you to get pretty close to another vehicle when maneuvering - mine will do the solid 'stop now' bleep just a few inches from an object. They are useful for inexperienced drivers, too, as they will likely be 'more confident' than the driver in terms of getting close to things.

Last edited:
Associate
No I dont think I would ever want them. Having always lived and worked for many years on town streets it is something I am more than used to doing.

And if all else fails surely thats what your bumpers are for :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
I've used parking sensors once in my bosses Range Rover and I didn't like them. I found them quite a learning curve in themselves that I just ignored and parked it by eye instead. Even though it was looking out some french windows over a balcony from the opposite side of a house I found it quite easy to parallel park.

My colleague has an E60 530i with radar like parking sensors. The display shows you quite good detail which I like, useful in a car like that.

As for a Yaris, for £395... nah! This is assuming it's just an audible bleep system and nothing fancy. You still need to observe like a hawk. I;d find it annoying but then I've never lived with it. How the other half live eh? lol.

Soldato
Lets just say it took me 3 mins to reverse into my drive the other night :p

:eek:

No offense but if your finding it difficult to park a yaris then you need practice, not some gadget bolted to the bumper. Otherwise when you get a bigger car (e.g. a Z4) you'll find it even more difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato
No I dont think I would ever want them. Having always lived and worked for many years on town streets it is something I am more than used to doing.
I am more than used to pressing the accelerator pedal, but I wouldn't say that because of it cruise control is pointless - it's nice not to have to do things :p

Soldato
I think they are a nice to have but I wouldn't get them fitted myself.

Our Punto has them yet my gf still managed to back it into a wall because "I couldn't hear the beeps over my music" :rolleyes:

Bat

Bat

Associate
The trouble with parking sensors is then getting into your 20 year old other car and waiting for the beeps rather than paying attention when reversing :p

Caporegime
I wouldn't pay £395 for parking sensors, no. Especially not on a flippin' Yaris. I've driven cars with them and they are nice. But parking isn't exactly a big challenge, is it?

If you're having difficulties now, just practice more.

Associate
I think he's talking about OEM stuff, aftermarket looks terrible.

Agreed, but he wont know without checking if they are proper Toyota retrofit option (if that even exists) or some aftermarket load of crap. Definately would check, and definately would ask them to show you what it will look like after fitted!

TBH, Ive used lots of different reverse park systems and by FAR FAR the best is the ones which have a reversing camera; mostly on Nissan cars ive found. Its easily the best system and they rarely go wrong unlike reverse park sensors which are IMO flaky.

Back
Top Bottom