LG IPS231P-BN

Soldato
Just ordered one to replace my aging Dell 2007WFP. Hopefully it will similar in quality. Have read that it received an award from TIPA for best amatuer photography monitor. I dabble a little with photography so this is promising already.

I'll report back with my findings and mainly comparison to my Dell. Anyone have any experience with these yet? Any photos?

Associate
was tempted with one of these, its meant to be the same panel as in the Dell ultrasharp 23" but it didnt apply the overdrive like in the dell, so suffered on motion apparently, probably just as good on photo, but not for video or gaming... it also has LED backlighting, so may well have less uniformity in the lighting of the panel?

Soldato
Worse uniformity than the average U2311H? No chance. ;) It is a common misconception that WLED backlighting predisposes a monitor to poorer backlight uniformity (one that seems to spread like wildfire over on certain other forums) especially when comparing like-for-like panels. It is true that some WLED-backlit monitors tend to go a bit overboard on the thinness and this can make them more susceptible to damage that could increase excess backlight bleed-through and cause luminance uniformity issues. Such problems are very widespread on CCFL-backlit consumer models as well and if an individual has used a goodly number of modern monitors and can draw meaningful comparisons this becomes abundantly clear. The excess backlight bleedthrough is often exacerbated by the blue colour emitted from the LED backlight, however, and this is generally more noticeable than the same level of bleed-through on a CCFL-backlit model. On topic; Prad.de reviewed the similar IPS236V (summary on our website) and found the uniformity to be rather good and in essence superior to that of the U2311H. As I often say it can vary somewhat between individual units but I wouldn't hold luminance uniformity against the LG due to some ill-informed opinions.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Monitor arrived today so have been doing some testing side by side with the old Dell 2007WFP. I'm happily impressed as I'm getting the same quality still if not slightly better. All pictures apart from the banana one were taken using my Sony A200 DSLR. The banana comparison picture and video were done using my HTC HD2's 5mp camera.

Here are both monitors set with out-of-the-box settings.

I think the LG is slightly better. It has a better brightness level. The Dell has always had what I feel is a lot of bleed through. Mostly noticeable at different angles. The LG seems to suffer from this a little less.

Here is a comparison of how the colours match to the original picture on my A200. Unfortunately the camera phone isn't that great.

With out-of-the-box settings the LG has a better brightness level which the Dell can't compete with even by increasing to the max setting.

This was displayed on the LG

This was displayed on the Dell

Close up of the LG.

Running Dirt 3.

Settings wise the screen can go higher on contrast but was set at max for brightness. The default setting was on user but it also has a games and picture mode. Picture mode is quite nice, the colours are very vibrant.

The stand is brilliant as generally its the same as the Dell for options of movement. if you have a wobbly desk then you might want to do something about it as the turntable underneath tends to let the monitor wobble. However the turntable is a nice feature as its very easy to spin and change the position of the screen. Build quality is your standard matt plastic affair. However its quite sturdy and you don't get those terrible reflections as you do on glossy plastic monitors. Its a shame though that there isn't any where to hide your cables within the stand.

All I can say is from what I've come from and going to I am very happy. I don't seem to notice any lag when playing games on this or my old screen.

Back
Top Bottom