Diets - Macros and Calories, what do you really need?

Man of Honour
So I've noticed there's a few threads and questions regarding diet advice, and while GordyR's thread is brilliant, I think expanding upon the diet side of it a bit further could help people out

How much do you need?
This isn't a straight forward question, and a number of things all make up the determining factor of what makes up the answer to that question
- Body type, lean mass vs mass
- Hormones
- How active are you?
- Macronutrient intake

Things that are out of your control like age and sex can play a big part, as males typically burn more calories just being alive than females, and older people burn less than younger people.

But other things make it up too, and these you can control. Your lean mass, having more muscle mass on your frame will cause your body to burn more calories even when you're doing nothing. Your hormone levels (some of this you can't control, but diet and exercise play a part in regulating hormone levels) and your activity level.

Calculating your requirements
There are many online calculators that you can use, but avoid these as a lot are hardcoded with values that don't relate to your particular circumstances. And will probably over estimate what you need.

Some of the calculations you can use are as follows:
Harris-Benedict Formula
Probably the most commonly used method, but it is also notoriously inaccurate, I'd avoid using this unless you are totally unaware of your bodyfat and lean weight. If you do know these, use the next one

For MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
For WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

Katch-McArdle
This is far more accurate as it uses your own bodyfat and lean bodymass measurements to calculate the intake

Base Metabolic Rate (BMR) = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)
Where Lean Bodymass = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

So using one of the above will give you your BMR, this is what you use just by being alive and your body running so to speak, but now you need to factor in your activity level. Which we will then use as a multiplier against your BMR. To calculate this multiplier we must determine the following:

1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise and desk job)
1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Match yourselves against one of the above and multiply your BMR by that number.
Remember, be honest with yourself. If you have an office job but work out 3-4 times a week, that doesn't necessarily mean you're Moderately Active. You might be bordering between the two, but remember, if you're dishonest on this part, you're going to be eating more than you need to be which will ruin your progress to your goals

The key thing to remember with whatever number is eventually calculated, is these are estimates, they might use some science and individual measurements, but they are still estimates, and therefore shouldn't be treated as a concrete number. Be prepared to adjust and tweak this number.

My advice to you is to give yourselves 2-3 weeks at this number, if you're gaining/losing too much weight, tweak it

Using your number to calculate your goals
So you have a number, say 2800, now what? Well it depends on what you want to do.

If you are trying to gain weight, take that number and add 10-15% too it. So in this case it would be 3080 or 3220. This will typically be classed as a "clean" bulk although I hate that term, but this should be about a .5lb-1lb at most gain a week. But this still needs to be made of the right macros which we'll reach later

Same goes for if you're trying to lose weight, take 2800 and remove 10-15% from it, so 2520 or 2380. Again this should give you a healthy weight loss amount per week.

However, these percentages can be increased or decreased as much as you like depending on how quickly or slowly you want to achieve your goals. But the optimal amount is 10-15%

I have my number, what about protein, carbs and fats?
Don't base these amounts on percentages, your body has no idea of what percentages it really wants or needs, so just make sure the end totals match the requirements for you. And as long as you do that, they'll work, it really is that simple

Protein
This is always going to be a controversial issue, with many papers leading to different findings about optimum amounts. But going back to popular belief and the general consensus, aim for the 1 to 1.5g per lb of bodyweight.
Ideally this should be per lb of lean body weight, but if you don't know this then it's not going to be a huge problem for doing total weight. However if you've used the Katch-McArdle method above you should know your LBM

g00k2.png

Carbs
Carbs always get a bad rep, they're the first point of blame when people are dieting or putting on too much weight. But eating carbs, and the right carbs can be beneficial to your goals, both gaining and losing weight

Carbs give you the energy to have intense workouts or do high amounts of exercise, they're needed for your own sanity too (trust me on this one ;)). When I was dieting for my contest, I lost 3 stone while still eating close to 300g of carbs, but it was the right kind of carbs. Aim for wholegrain foods (pastas/rice/bread), oats and other stuff low on the glycemic index (GI).

The thing to remember with carbs is they are split into two categories at a basic level, Complex and Simple Carbohydrates. Complex carbs such as the ones I mentioned earlier are digested at a much slower rate, keeping you fuller for longer and giving a much more stable and steady flow of energy. Simple carbs, while deliver the same amount of energy per gram, are digested at a much faster pace and deliver an immediate boost in blood sugar and energy, but it wears off quickly. Meaning you feel hungrier sooner and your energy falls quicker.

If you consider yourself highly active, and again be honest, aim for 3-4g of carbs per pound of lean bodyweight, moderately active aim for 2-3g per pound of lean weight, and low activity, aim for 1.5-2g

Fats
Again, these get a bad rep, people assume because of the name that fats make you fat. But only the wrong kinds (trans fats are the worst kind)

Fats are crucial to regulating hormone levels, as well as aiding the body to actually burn fat. So these are a must in the diet. Saturated fats are important too, but again these are something that must be had in moderation

The types of fats you need to know about are Saturated Fats, Monounsaturated Fats, Polyunsaturated Fats and Trans Fatty Acids.

Saturated Fats
Usually found in food from animals (meat, butter, cream etc), they yield more energy than unsaturated fats however are linked to higher cholesterol levels and heart diseases. However, please don't shy away from Saturated fats, as a certain amount is important in your diet.
For men, you should be eating no more than 30g per day of saturated fats, for woman, 20g

Monounsaturated and Polyunsaturated Fats
Found in plants, oils, cereal grains and fish oils. These are the good fats and you should be making up most of your fat intake from these. They are good for a number of reasons, two of these being Omega 3 and Omega 6. The oils and cereal grains provide Omega-6. The body uses the Omega-6 fatty acids to make hormone like substances called eicosanoids. These provide a number of functions including muscle contraction/relaxation, blood vessel constriction/relaxation, immune response to injury and infection. They also help to lower LDL cholesterol, the bad kind.

Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oils help with the brains cerebral cortex development and retinal development for vision. There are also a number of health benefits from Omega-3 fatty acids, including a healthier heart which is always a good thing and healthy joints. A number of studies also show Omega-3 fatty acids help with fat burning and minimising the effect of catabolism.

Trans Fatty Acids
Most of the nasty nasty fatty acids are the result of industrial hydrogenation of polyunsaturated fats. These fats are bad because not only do they massively raise the bad cholesterol, LDL, they also reduce the HDL levels of cholesterol too, the good kind. Margarine is a source of trans fats, so be careful if you use margarine.

Typically you want to aim for 0.45-0.8g per pound of total body weight, however if you are of a high bodyfat percentage, you want this to be per LEAN pound of bodyweight. And remember, make sure it's made up of mostly good fats and not bad fats.

Right, got it, how do I track all this?
There are so many ways, from phone apps to websites, but the best one I've found that covers both is CalorieCount.
A simple website that by now has nearly every food already entered into its database, as well as showing breakdowns of your food logs from simple charts to really informative stats. And best of all it's free

It also has an iPhone app that syncs with the website and vice versa

Do I need any supplements?
This varies from goal to goal, your best bet would be to ask a question here and get some advice from our helpful members

I hope this post has helped you, remember this isn't just for bodybuilders, anyone can use this information to calculate their diet. Whether you just want to lose weight or you're in another sport trying to achieve a goal, you can use this information to help you reach that

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Common Questions

How often should I eat?
Now a lot of people will tell you that you should eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism firing on all cylinders. This isn't proven to be completely true, but even so, I agree you should eat every 2-3 hours.

Mainly because eating smaller meals this often will keep you from being hungry like you potentially would be on a diet consisting of just 3 bigger meals. It will help you from being tempted to pick at junk food and it will just keep you feeling fuller longer. Aim for 6 small meals a day, with a couple of them just being nothing more than snacks if you like (handful of nuts/mixed fruit or something)

There are a number of different dieting methods however that encourage you to break this tradition and I encourage you to look into them, but if like me you like keeping to the basics, the 5-6 small meal method will serve you well

I've missed one of my meals and need to get protein, Chicken Legend meal has protein right?
If you miss a meal and are short on your macros, don't eat for the sake of it. Junk food will have some nutrients but also a lot of bad stuff too. Don't worry too much, remember, your macros average out across the week.

If you're at work and eating is a problem, buy a bag of nuts/dried fruit, or make some snacks you can pick at the night before. And just eat when you can, but don't think that making up for not being able to eat quality food by eating junk is the same thing

Breakfast, don't have time nor am I interested, you mad?
I can't stress enough just how crucial a good breakfast is for anyone, no matter what the goal is. Be it gaining mass, or training for a marathon. A good healthy breakfast will kick start your metabolism, give you the energy for the day ahead and just general give you a better start to the day in my opinion. It doesn't have to be much either, find something that fits with your macros and make it something you enjoy.

If you are short on time, make a smoothie the night before and have it in the morning, but I think it's a pretty special circumstance when you don't have time to fuel your body for the day ahead

Carbs after 6, I heard this is bad?
No not really, infact several studies have shown carbs in the evening can actually aid weight loss. But as with most things related to diets, it's unproven either way.
You can have carbs after 6, just keep them sensible and keep them good. If they fit with your remaining macros, eat it and enjoy it

What about fluid intake?
This is also an important part of the dieting process. Being dehydrated will leave you feeling lethargic and in no mood to do any form of exercise.

I personally need or feel most comfortable when I'm drinking at least 4 litres of water a day, but I'm no nutritionist and everyone is different, so you can take or add to that as much as you want. Just make sure that when you're going to the toilet, you're weeing a nice straw colour every time. If you're doing that, you're hydrated and all is well :)

urine_colour_chart.gif

If you must have fizzy drinks, go for the diet variety. They really are full of the nasty stuff and they will make having a healthy diet pretty hard. Nothing wrong with a treat every now and then, but make it that, a treat.

Alcohol, love it, but is it going to make my muscles fall off?
In a word, no

Live your life and enjoy it. If you're going out and getting wasted every Friday and Saturday night, you're not going to see the gains/weight loss you're hoping for or as quickly as you'd like. But don't stop living your life. Anything in excess is bad, and alcohol is no different

The day your diet or lifestyle becomes a chore and stops you enjoying your life, you'll resent it and that's when you'll either give it up or not be willing to give it your all

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I'd debate a few of the points, but purely from a "what I'm trying to achieve" point of view. As far as general advice is concerned, it's good work. :)

It's a good basic structure of information. However, each person should take it as a primer, and then modify it accordingly to match their goals, their lifestyles and how their bodies respond to different things (each body having different hormonal responses etc...).

Great work Steedie - good addition to the SA threads and I can see this becoming a popular Q&A thread. :)

Man of Honour
OP
Oh of course, I totally agree. That's why I tried to make it as general as possible and try and talk about a goal in particular, and tried to emphasise that the numbers are estimates

But hopefully it will give people a starting point which they can fine tune for themselves :)

Glad you approve mate :)

Man of Honour
YES!

I was thinking of doing something similar but was too lazy (instead I just kept repeating myself :rolleyes: haha), great work Steedie. :)

However, I disagree with this point:
How often should I eat?
Now a lot of people will tell you that you should eat every 3 hours to keep your metabolism firing on all cylinders. This isn't proven to be completely true, but even so, I agree you should eat every 2-3 hours.

Mainly because eating smaller meals this often will keep you from being hungry like you potentially would be on a diet consisting of just 3 bigger meals. It will help you from being tempted to pick at junk food and it will just keep you feeling fuller longer. Aim for 6 small meals a day, with a couple of them just being nothing more than snacks if you like (handful of nuts/mixed fruit or something)

There are a number of different dieting methods however that encourage you to break this tradition and I encourage you to look into them, but if like me you like keeping to the basics, the 5-6 small meal method will serve you well
...only because you don't mention that satiety can be increased without eating more frequently by having larger amounts of fat and protein in the meals.

I think it's also worth mentioning a little bit more about what carbs, fat and protein are because this comes up a lot. Giving examples of each would also help.

Also, while I agree with you that carbs don't need to be avoided, they are often the macro that is vastly over consumed and abused. This is exactly why people see results when switching to a low carb diet, suddenly they're eating A LOT less :o

Finally, perhaps in the common questions section, it might be good to warn people about the pitfalls of "low fat" foods, which are generally far worse for you then regular options.

Man of Honour
OP
Ok mate, will expand upon the protein/carbs/fats bit when I get home tonight :) I've also got a few questions to add but again, will do it when I get home :)

Also I agree with what you put, will add that in. But I get the feeling a lot of what I wrote will be wrong or slightly off in peoples opinions, due to peoples experiences and what broscience they've been told or what they've read, but I tried to stick with stuck that is generally proven or accepted

Glad you liked it mate

Man of Honour
I think the tone is spot on mate, you were right to make it general. This should be very useful for lots of people posting in here.

Soldato
+1 for sticky

Absolutely brilliant, was just thinking the other day I should really find out about Macro's more and look into it so I can actually check if my rough diet is all ok xD

Only thing I have a mild issue with is:
Common Questions
What about fluid intake?
This is also an important part of the dieting process. Being dehydrated will leave you feeling lethargic and in no mood to do any form of exercise.

I recommend at least 4 litres of water a day, but I'm no nutriotionist, so you can take or add to that as much as you want. Just make sure that when you're going to the toilet, you're weeing a nice straw colour every time. If you're doing that, you're hydrated and all is well :)

If you must have fizzy drinks, go for the diet variety. They really are full of the nasty stuff and they will make having a healthy diet pretty hard. Nothing wrong with a treat every now and then, but make it that, a treat.

As you've said to be honest take it from the colour of your pee, but I think standard recommended is 2 litres... Saying that, this does of course depend on your levels of exercise, and personally I stick to about 3 and am having no issues :)

Would also say, as a side note on the alcohol/unhealthy food front. I personally find it really useful to have a 'day off' day. Now I'm not saying, go out and get completely smashed and eat take away's every meal of the day. But I find it really helpful keeping me motivated for the rest of the week, if I have one day where I'm allowed to let go slightly and not stick to my fairly rigid diet structure. Saying that if you go out for dinner try to stick to two courses still.
Nice little fact though: 3500 calories over and above your daily requirements = 1lb of Fat.

kd

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers guys, glad it's seen as something that could be useful. If anyone has any questions then as a forum we can answer them and add them to the Common Questions post. Also I'll slowly update the OP as I learn more.

Been doing a lot of reading about nutrition this last week

Man of Honour
OP
4 litres... I'm lucky to get 2 in daily. :p

It really depends, I put 4 because chances are, most people who will be reading this in a Sports forum would be doing some form of activity. And that's the last time you want to be skimping on water, dehydration can lead to muscle tears and all sorts of nasty injuries. I can get through a litre plus no problem during a heavy workout

And given it's Summer, you should be drinking more anyway, well, when the weathers good anyway :p

Like I said, add or subtract as much as you want from that amount, whatever suits you. But you want to use your wee as an indicator as to whether or not you're getting the right amount in.

urine_colour_chart.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom