Let's list all the Good J-RPGs from this Gen

Soldato
360, PS3, Wii and PC!!

I'm a huge fan, and I dont want to miss any. I was googling and managed to find an RPG mentioned called

Fragile Dreams: Farewell ruins of the moon

It looked pretty damn interesting!

Now if i'd not stumbled upon that thread on another site, I'd have never heard of the game. It is for the Nintendo Wii.

So It'd be helpful to myself and possibly to other fans to get a list of them, And I dont mean a copy paste from a Wiki with 1000's listed. I mean good ones that people have played or if they've yet to be released, good ones that people are waiting in anticipation for.

I'll start with a few

Lost Odyssey - 360 - Extremely good game, Very hard and unforgiving battles, if you ignore elemental weaknesses and status changing abilities, you may aswell stop playing.

Last Remnant - 360, PC - Another fantastic RPG, A let down on 360 because of the poor optimization(installing does help a little), Game is fantastic on PC.

Final Fantasy 13 - PS3, 360 - I thought this was really good, But a lot of people hated it. I think if the game had been released without the final fantasy name however, people would probably have given the game the respect it deserved.

Last edited:
Associate
Fragile Dreams is a weird one. The gameplay is uninspired, dull and atrocious but that's not why it's interesting. The story doesn't really go anywhere either.

What it does well is it has this really weird post acopalyptic atmosphere to the world. You see the entire world around you abandoned and filled with ghostly apparitions. I found quite a haunting and lonely experience tbh. If you can get it cheap (which shouldn't be hard) I'd pick it up. It's a very short game tbh, you could complete it in less than 10 hours easily.

Tales of Vesperia - Awesome game, with quite an engaging story tbh. One of the nicer looking jrpg's of this generation tbh, with some fantastic cell shading effects. Great gameplay and it lasts a good long while as well.

Eternal Sonata - A different approach, as you're essentially playing as the composer Chopin as he dreams on his deathbed. Some really, really nice artistic visuals. The gameplay is fun, but it does get a bit repetitive after a while. Definitely worth picking up though.

Soldato
Huge fan of Final Fantasy XIII as well. Sure, the game was quite lacking and very different from previous games, but I for one enjoyed the the fast-paced battle system, and the world & mythology that was set in this (In typical FF fashion, a blend of ancient & futuristic, and many comparisons to real-life myths/religion), so I am looking forward to XIII-2 for expanding the story, and especially XIII Versus to see how it could tie in the same universe.

Other games not listed yet;

Valkyria Chronicles - More of a strategy game, but it has RPG elements and it was created by the same team that did Skies of Arcadia back on the Dreamcast. This series is one of the best PlayStation exclusives, even if it is annoying that the sequels have become PSP only titles, but they are still pretty damn good.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope: International - PS3 version of the initially released Xbox 360 game, but with extra content and something many would crave for, dual-audio language. I like Sci-Fi, especially of the JRPG mould, and some of the artstyle reminds me of Phantasy Star Online.

Soldato
Wii - Xenoblade Chronicles - I haven't completed this yet, but so far it's the best JRPG of this generation for me. It's got everything i want from a JRPG, great characters (for once with a hero without a chip on his shoulder! The characters did seem a little generic at first, but they develop nicely), so far a really interesting and puzzling story, excellent and original combat mechanics, great levelling and customisation systems, excellent artistic design and the game world is pretty damn huge. You can power on and just go for the storyline (clocking it in roughly 30 hours apparently) or you can spend hours upon hours building relationships with towns-folk and completing quests for them, or help build your own city (50 hours and counting for me with the end nowhere in sight). Also it's got dual audio which is always nice. The only real downside are the graphics which, while wonderfully designed, suffer due to a low resolution due to the limitations of the Wii. If you like JRPGs you owe it to yourself to try this.

PS3 - Valkyria Chronicles - A very close second to Xenoblade Chronicles, great story and characters but the mission based gameplay removes that 'massive world' feel that Xenoblade achieves so very well.

360 - Losy Odyssey - S'alright. Characters are dull and lifeless and the storyline is a bit of an anticlimax, the graphics are outstanding and the combat mechanics are sound. The 'end-game' content isn't all that challenging and i was left with no real urge to replay it. It suffers from a poor difficulty curve of the beginning content being almost impossibly hard at points, but by the end your characters will likely be near untouchable and the game becomes too easy. I completed the final boss without even taking damage as my autoheals outstripped the damage that the boss could do.

360 - Tales of Vesperia - This is an excellent game but sadly poor sales have resulted in second hand copies selling for £50+. Hopefully the extended PS3 release will eventually make it to the UK

Multiplatform - Final Fantasy XIII - This is one of the weakest FF games for me, it's still pretty decent though. The storyline feels rushed and the characters are either detestable or boring. The gameplay however is outstanding if you can hang in there until you reach the plains.

Last edited:
Associate
360 - Tales of Vesperia - This is an excellent game but sadly poor sales have resulted in second hand copies selling for £50+. Hopefully the extended PS3 release will eventually make it to the UK

It was pointed out to me in another thread that this is now available on games on demand for £20.

Associate
Since we are screwed out of a Western release for the PS3 versions of Vesperia and Graces, I do hope that Tales of Xillia can come here since it is exclusive to that console. It's also been reviewed very well with 39/40 on Famitsu.

Amen. I will get a PS3 just to play a Western Release of Xillia

I remember when I first went out to town to get Tales of Vesperia. Couldn't get it for weeks! In the end I had to buy it online but couldn't put it down for days once I had it. Had to pry myself away from it at times as I didn't want it to end. I remember getting to a point in the game where I was convinced it was the end... Boom. Half way through, I was happy! Haha

XPE

XPE

Soldato
Xenoblade chronicles.

I'm not usually a fan on JRPG's, I would rather backed over by a car than play a game with turn based combat, so I tend to like the more action based combat games like Tales of Symphonia, Xenoblade chronicles has so far held my attention for 30 hours and I have no intention of putting it down.

Associate
Multiplatform - Final Fantasy XIII - This is one of the weakest FF games for me, it's still pretty decent though. The storyline feels rushed and the characters are either detestable or boring. The gameplay however is outstanding if you can hang in there until you reach the plains.

rril1d.gif

Soldato

What's your point? It's pretty decent, its not outstanding or even very good by JRPG standards, but there's no way someone can argue it has no merits what so ever.

The only real reason it gets so much flak is because it is a Final Fantasy game and because of this higher standards of storytelling are expected from it. If you take away the name what's left is a perfectly playable JRPG, nothing special by any means, but certainly worth the outing for someone who's a fan of JRPGs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom