Sammy S23A700D reviews anyone?

Associate
So it looks like Sammy have sneeked this monitor onto the market without people really noticing.

*** Please completely remove competitor links - Thank you **
Its the entry level monitor and looks geared towards a lot of the types of people who were weighing up buying 750D's or reluctantly shelling out for 950D's... i'm talking about the people who dont care about 3D and want 120HZ for GAMING!

Reasons Why:

DVI-D - 750D didnt, I have an nvidia and dont want to switch it, only other option was shelling out for a 950D
Anti-gloss screen - seems like sammy have taken on-board some of the negative comments about the screen gloss and semi-fixed it
Stand - This looks to have a much more manageable stand and looks better IMO
3D - This is lesser geared towards 3D i think...
Price - this is 300 quid over 400-600 for the other models

All in all this ticks all my boxes, has the same panel that everyone is raving about and I really want to buy one. It would be irresponsible to without reading a few reviews opinions though... so....

PLEASE SHARE!! :D

Also be interested in hearing views of 700D vs 27" for gaming and the new VG278H? Not really comparable but its on my list.

Last edited:
Soldato
No competitor names or links are allowed for a reason. You don't go to John Lewis and shout to everyone that there is a better deal on a TV at M&S. Anyone who is really into their monitors (i.e. me) has been tracking/reporting about this one for a while. Type the model number into Google and you'll see some important information you seem to be missing on this one.

To make your job easier - the panel is the same as that used on the S23A750D. The electronics are a little different as you seem to have realised, but you have mistakenly identified some 'anti gloss' (you mean anti-glare) screen surface which this monitor does NOT have. It shares the S23A750Ds panel and 'Ultra Clear Panel' screen surface. There are plenty of advantages to this approach and not everything regarding this has been negative. There is a reason for having this and this can be overlooked by people who simply don't understand the true differences between screen surfaces and how this affects light transmission from the monitor.

"Samsung’s 3D LED monitor SA700 offers a perfect viewing experience with its Ultra Clear Panel." taken from http://www.samsung.com/africa_en/co...d/LS23A700DS/XA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail

P.S. Sorry if this came across as overly aggressive. I know you're new here but please do respect the forum rules, it's quite obvious why you shouldn't link to or mention competitors like this. Everyone just needs a model number to know what you're talking about.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That is a good point regarding brand names, that said, I work for a company which sells B2C data, if someone is after some B2C data I cant provide, I point them to a competitor that can. So, the big picture your right, but as OC dont stock this montior or dont have it on their site then I'll link elsewhere.

The fact this is 300 quid which is substantially cheaper that the 750/950 range, I dont think you lose that much more functionality, correct me if im wrong.

I'd be interested in hearing reviews from an owner, doesnt seem to be any on the Googlez.

Soldato
Well you're quite right, it's a good thing Samsung has done with this one. It should essentially be very similar to the S23A750D but due to the more conventional design it comes at a lower price. Some people are more comfortable with this aesthetic they have come to know from other similar Samsung monitors, too. It is just as geared towards 3D though, it includes the exact same 3D HyperReal engine and a pair of SSG-3150GB glasses.

Regarding linking to the competitor. It doesn't really matter if OcUK stocks this model or not. As somebody who works with online retailers I know that there is a lot of 'pulling power' on websites such as the one you listed. If you send people over to a retailer's website they will see other things (that OcUK do sell) that will catch their attention and OcUK may lose custom as a result. Really there is no need to link to a retailer when there are better places to link to such as one of the Samsung websites on the model or a news article.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
point taken, we will have to agree to disagree!

I'm desperate to purchase this bad boy, really need to see at least 1 review but surely there isn't too much difference as its the same panel!? Am I wrong? Guess backlight bleed could be an issue.

Soldato
Well the differing electronics between members of the new Samsung monitors can change things somewhat but anything you've read about the S23A750D should be a good guide. I hope to review this Samsung model in the not too distant future myself but unfortunately it's had to join the queue. If you aren't satisfied with the monitor you should be able to return it to that retailer via DSR and getting a refund. I know that's not ideal but it may not come to that and I think you should go for it and post your impressions here. I'd like to know how you get on ;).

Associate
I got this monitor today from a competitor so I can play bf3 on a bigger, better screen.

The monitor is very sturdy & in my opinion, looks a lot better than the 750 & 950. The bezel (frame) looks about 1 cm thick (if that) and would be great for multiple monitor set ups (If you can afford it)

First thing I notice about 120hz is that everything is really smooth. Moving folder windows just looks & feels really fluid & responsive, same goes for maximising/minimising etc. Even some aspects of web browsing are a lot smoother.

Not had chance to test gaming much, but went straight into red orchestra: heroes of stalingrad, turned vsync off & now aiming, looking around is really smooth.

The 3d again haven't had time to really look into. Watched a few youtube vids of renders etc & turned the 3d on looks amazing (considering the videos are standard 2d 1080p videos not rendered for 3d & how well the monitor can convert them it's really good)

Will test some more tomorrow, but its a great buy. Really pleased.

OCuk needs to stock this one!!!!!!

Soldato
The bezel (frame) looks about 1 cm thick (if that).

You've got a good eye there - excluding Perspex on the 750 series all of the side and top bezels are exactly 10mm on the new 3D series'. Very good for multiple monitor setups. The 750 has the thinnest bottom bezel but that's neither here nor there for multiple monitor setups. Glad you're happy and look forward to further impressions. I'm sure OcUK and other retailers will stock these in the near future.

Last edited:

Sem

Sem

Soldato
i got one of these bad boys coming tomorrow to replace my trusty 2233RZ
its mainly bought for gaming and im quite picky when it comes to monitors and gaming performance (didnt ditch my crt till 2009)

hope to post my thoughts on it tomorrow

Soldato
No it doesn't and neither does the 750 - but they do have headphone output. They are designed to be as thin as possible and any speakers included would be pretty terrible to say the least.

Associate
OP
sennheiser. Anyway lets keep it to topic.

I'm at work and my new monitor is sat at home, will give you reviews later tonight...

Need to get HOME!!!

Soldato
Look forward to it. And would agree with that recommendation (or Bose) if you have the budget. Sony and the like make some decent ones for a bit less, too, but I am not really up with the latest models ;).

Back
Top Bottom