O2 Giving out phone numbers?

Associate
Hey peeps,
Just seen a tweet about this wondering if it affects you too. Apparently if you are on O2, when you browse the internet on your phone, they send a HTTP Header to the server which contains your mobile phone number. This means that any site you visit in theory could ring you up for a chat.

if you are on O2 can you try this, make sure you are on your 3g or mobile data rather than wifi as it won't work.

http://lew.io/headers.php

This is totally un-verified so might just affect one or two people, just look at that web page see if you can see your phone number.

Edit: the Opera mini browser will hide the number as it works through a proxy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Okay, so on your phone, if you are on O2, when you browse the internet, one of the bits of information that gets sent to the server is your mobile telephone number.

Associate
OP
So your mobile number is sent to the websites you mean?

yes exactly. so any company's website you visit could quite happily give you a call without you ever giving them any information. That is the rumor anyway, I still don't know if it is true.

Associate
Phone internet still works through IP doesn't it?

Your network gives you an IP and that is all the server sees, at least thats how I always thought it worked.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
Phone internet still works through IP doesn't it?

Your network gives you an IP and that is all the server sees, at least thats how I always thought it worked.

Think a couple of layers up, the browser could put the mobile number in a HTTP message. Would be surprised if this was something at the operator level though, is more likely to be OS/browser dependent

Associate
OP
I just tested it on my house mates Iphone 3gs - on O2 and it showed up.

I wonder why the two of you above didn't have it.

Associate
OP
I agree it would make sense that is was phone level not operator but that doesn't seem to be the case. multiple os/phone combos but the same problem

It won't show in Opera as its a proxy browser so masks the issue.

Soldato
The headers sent are dependant on the browser used. There are specific ones specific in the standards which must be sent. To prove the point try opening the link in the OP in IE, Chrome and FF. You'll see completely different info each time.

I guess the couple who didn't see their phone number have a different FW or browser.

J.B

J.B

Soldato
I would imagine that this is just a client side function they are performing..

Well if you navigate there with a normal browser it shows the header that you'd expect so Im assuming it is actually being put in the HTTP Header.

Will have to pipe this through my own proxy tomorrow and see what the headers look like

Back
Top Bottom