• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

2 x 6870 > GTX 680, worth it?

Associate
Hi,
Im looking to buy a GTX 680, but am unsure of the performance gains that I will see from cross-fired 6870's.

I'm currently running an i5 2500k @ 4ghz.

I don't like crossfire very much, which is the reason for the change (along with possible performance gains) due to the heat and the compatibility issues with certain games.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If you don't like it and want to upgrade then just go for it. With that in mind though I think the 680 will outperform your current set up. Enough to justify the cost? That's up to you.

No, very little, 2x6870's are awesome, you'll definately see gains in some situations but i wouldn't call it "worth it " yet. Wait for some price wars and some other cards to be released, a 670 with 10% less performance and 25% cheaper would certainly make the sidegrade a lot more worthwhile.

670gtx/7950 getting into some price fighting can only benefit everyone.

From a single 6870 upgrading would obviously yield stupid performance gains everywhere. From 2, its much more of a sidegrade, so I'd be inclined to do it when its better value/less wasteful basically.

6870's in SLI are better value, but ther are high's and low's associated with SLI/Crossfire. If you go the 6870 route, try and get 2GB versions. 1GB is just about fine for 1080p, just about.

However, you'll regret not having the Turbo Boost kudos factor.

Yeah it's too late, already bought one for Saturday delivery :)

Already have the 6870's btw, to avoid confusion.

Gonna sell each one for around £100-110 with custom coolers.

Hopefully the 680 will give me a noticeable boost, it will definitely help with my temps but lets hope the performance is nice to boot!

Just been looking at the SLI results for the GTX680 on guru3d.

Very interesting, not because I'm interested in 375fps in COD, but to see how some of the older cards in SLI or crossfire stack up to a single GTX680.

I have a pair of GTX470 SOCs at the moment, and although the stock GTX470 in SLI does not appear in several of the benchmarks, those that do compare a pair of GTX470s to a GTX680 show that it's not time for me to upgrade for frame rate alone. Cutting my power consumption in half and being able to run very high res teexture packs would be an advantage, however for the moment I'm going to sit back and wait for either..

1) GTX680s to become cheap enough for me to get a pair in SLI
2) GK110 which I'm guessing will be ~30% faster than a 680 and will probably have more RAM (I'm thinking 384 bit memory bus and 3GB RAM).
3) One of my GTX 470s to bite the dust

Last edited:
I'm also interested in the SLI results for the 680. Even though I don't think the i7 920 @4Ghz with the older PCi Express standard will cause a bottleneck (system in sig), I think I'd be better waiting for Ivy bridge and the GTX 780 to be released.

I'm contemplating whether to get a 680 to replace my 2x 5870s the noise/heat put off by these things is slightly annoying but I can only really justify the purchase if I get a decent performance increase.

I play at 1080 120hz do you think this would be a good upgrade?

Back
Top Bottom