• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VSYNC Causing HUGE stuttering problems ( GTX 680 ? )

Soldato
I've noticed some odd stuttering with vsync enabled (normal and adaptive). I notice this mainly in Skyrim (vsync enabeld by default by the game), which occasionally will stutter, even though there's no apparent reason for the fps to drop below 60 and CPU/GPU utilisation are well below 100%. It's not hard drive activity either as far as I can tell. It's not hugely noticeable and only happens in short sporadic bursts, but still pretty annoying.

I've also noticed similiar issue when I tried playing BF3 with vsync. With vysnc off, on an empty map I never go below 60fps, but enabling vsync will cause occasional and very short instances where fps drops below 60fps, causing slight but noticeable stutters; even adaptive vsync doesn't eliminate it. Turning vsync of and it's very smooth, but with the usual screen tearing.

In any case I didn't have this back a few months ago when I had my 580 and everything else the same, but I think it was introduced on one of the recent drivers and has carried on to my current 680.

Soldato
Had quite a bit of stutter in Diable 3 beta. But I am not sure whether that is the game or not.

Tis mostly the game.

When I first join a D3 game it is really bad. But after a min or 2 all is smooth.

I found limiting Background and Foreground FPS to 60 in the in-game Video settings to match Adaptive V-Sync helped and everything seemed smoother.

Perhaps placebo but it seemed a noticeable improvement.

I do the same with BF3 using the Settings Editor app.

Soldato
At least Nvidia have active decent forums and listen to people.

Hilarious Locky, did you even read any of it on the forum?

Straight from the thread:

'4 pages and no official response.... tut tut.

Other than the obvious one
'

Official comment was:

'Hard to comment without system specs, and specific in game examples.

Please provide more details on the issue you are having specifically.

Thanks
'

23 days later and no one(from Nvidia) has got back to report on the problem

+

'ATI released a hotfix one day after release.
Sry NVIDIA, this is unaccaptable.
'

Sorry Locky, but it's looking like Nvidia bury their heads in the sand the same way AMD do!

Soldato
In all seriousness - It's all down to personal preference. I much prefer nVidia drivers for many reasons. As such I will always go Green team if both cards from both camps are much of a muchness.

nVidia drivers are not THAT much better to me that I would pass up on significant gains by not going AMD but if neck and neck - nVidia please.

Caporegime
I wasn't bashing anyone's drivers, just to be clear.

Both don't give me any problems that would stop me buying either, it always goes down to bbfb for me every time.

Same, though it does irk me people insist Nvidia's drivers are better, currently most reviewers seem to flat out agree that SLI is working a lot worse than xfire, Nvidia also has the most current long term big problems like TDR and both companies have a bunch of minor bugs that is expected, craploads of code, thousands of diff software combinations and states, stuff happens, and new features are always going to have teething issues.

Also worth noting AMD haven't created drivers that kills their own hardware, Nvidia have done it, afaik, at least twice.

Currently AMD drivers are better, both for xfire and standard, that doesn't mean a LOT of people won't have a problem with an AMD card that they won't pee them off and if they switch to Nvidia it won't go, that's life, the reverse is also true. Currently, not always, its swings and roundabouts, AMD went through its greyscreen period, which was so easy to fix yourself but few did. At that time Nvidia had less really awkward bugs, but they also had the advantage of seeing the greyscreen issue for AMD and being able to get a fix in before release rather than post release. In a few months Nvidia will finally have fixed TDR and AMD will have something else, rinse repeat.

One thing I do find odd though, average joe looking through this forum because its a multi purpose forum, will see way more AMD problems. For some reason AMD problems get posted on all the big forums, Nvidia guys all seem to go to Nvidia's forums, it somewhat keeps their biggest issues almost... private.

Joe bloggs buying a new gpu might wander onto these forums of the shop he's looking at and have a look at the GPU forum and see all AMD problems, he's unlikely to go on the Nvidia support forums.

To sum up, both companies have problems, probably 99.5% of AMD AND Nvidia owners have no significant problems with drivers, ever. The 0.5% will be 0.1% real problems where AMD/Nvidia screw up, and 0.4% random system incompatibility, bad luck and or failed hardware that people put down to bad drivers.

THe daft thing is, that 0.4% swear blind everywhere they can that whichever company has screwed them over, has the worst drivers ever made for anything and will die hard be a fanboy of one of those companies.

I've never had real problems with Nvidia drivers, and I've never had real problems with AMD drivers, minor bugs with both, minor SLI/xfire annoyances, 99.9% of my gaming with either brand has been smooth sailing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Same, though it does irk me people insist Nvidia's drivers are better, currently most reviewers seem to flat out agree that SLI is working a lot worse than xfire, Nvidia also has the most current long term big problems like TDR and both companies have a bunch of minor bugs that is expected, craploads of code, thousands of diff software combinations and states, stuff happens, and new features are always going to have teething issues.

Also worth noting AMD haven't created drivers that kills their own hardware, Nvidia have done it, afaik, at least twice.

Currently AMD drivers are better, both for xfire and standard, that doesn't mean a LOT of people won't have a problem with an AMD card that they won't pee them off and if they switch to Nvidia it won't go, that's life, the reverse is also true. Currently, not always, its swings and roundabouts, AMD went through its greyscreen period, which was so easy to fix yourself but few did. At that time Nvidia had less really awkward bugs, but they also had the advantage of seeing the greyscreen issue for AMD and being able to get a fix in before release rather than post release. In a few months Nvidia will finally have fixed TDR and AMD will have something else, rinse repeat.

One thing I do find odd though, average joe looking through this forum because its a multi purpose forum, will see way more AMD problems. For some reason AMD problems get posted on all the big forums, Nvidia guys all seem to go to Nvidia's forums, it somewhat keeps their biggest issues almost... private.

Joe bloggs buying a new gpu might wander onto these forums of the shop he's looking at and have a look at the GPU forum and see all AMD problems, he's unlikely to go on the Nvidia support forums.

To sum up, both companies have problems, probably 99.5% of AMD AND Nvidia owners have no significant problems with drivers, ever. The 0.5% will be 0.1% real problems where AMD/Nvidia screw up, and 0.4% random system incompatibility, bad luck and or failed hardware that people put down to bad drivers.

THe daft thing is, that 0.4% swear blind everywhere they can that whichever company has screwed them over, has the worst drivers ever made for anything and will die hard be a fanboy of one of those companies.

I've never had real problems with Nvidia drivers, and I've never had real problems with AMD drivers, minor bugs with both, minor SLI/xfire annoyances, 99.9% of my gaming with either brand has been smooth sailing.

Another thing i seem to see when new NV drivers get posted on some forums is some people saying great they have fixed this issue, but i rarely see them post that they had one before it was fixed outside of the NV forum, so all the good stuff gets posted all over the place and most of the bad stuff kept to the NV & EVGA forum but the stuttering issue is getting allot of air time in general.

Last edited:
Soldato
It turns out this is a driver related problem, or so the Nvidia team say. They commented on this issue on the Nvidia forums and advised people that they have replicated the problem and are working on a fix. They said it's only happening in the 600 series cards. So hopefully there is a fix coming. We shall wait and see!!

And I agree with everything Drunkenmaster said in his post. Especially the bit about Nvidia owners only complaining about problems on Nvidia forums. I complained about this problem back a few weeks ago myself on another forum to be told that there must be something wrong my end, check my hard disks etc and then I got told that it must be a defective card to RMA it, not one word about a possible driver problem. The thing is if I had posted the problem about an AMD card, everybody would have posted about how **** the drivers were and I should uninstall and reinstall them etc. etc.

It baffles me how people think. It baffles me even more how people become so emotionally attached to a manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom